Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
so I will preface this by saying im no os x server expert by any means....

i was trying to mount my external FW drive with nfs shares, and I created a group to to allow my accounts to share that nfs mount....didnt get it to work right so gave up for a few days.

so tonight I installed mac fusion and had to reboot the server, now I cant get back in it. all of my passwords for my accounts dont work, I reset them with the install dvd, and same thing, then repaired the permissions and verified the disk and still the same thing....

I really dont want to format and start over because I have about 300gb of my itunes library on that drive. I can probably recover from allot of it, but I would rather not if theres a solution im overlooking....

I suppose I could try to edit the shadow file....but not sure where that will get me....:mad:

please help..........

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
pulled hash, and have it working on another machine to crack the password....

might have to create a new account in single user mode if I can remember how....ug, unix, if you dont use it, you lose it....

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
hmmmm....I did just upgrade to 10.6.5

The server version of the 10.6.5 update was pulled and later replaced due to some problems with <apparently> Open Directory, among other things.

I'm using the later version of the update with no problems.

A.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
The server version of the 10.6.5 update was pulled and later replaced due to some problems with <apparently> Open Directory, among other things.

I'm using the later version of the update with no problems.

A.

now I have to figure out how to fix it so I can log in, and then re-patch....

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
installed os on hd2 in the mini and created same account and can now access my itunes data and its presently being copied to an external. i will just wipe everything and start over since i dont use my server for anything other than a HTPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.