Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bid2ask77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
New York
What do you guys think Should i go and buy the ipad or wait till ipad 2 come out. Do you really see it being released in feb of 2011.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think it's pretty obvious you should wait for the new one at this point unless you like to waste money.

No one knows when it will be released, but I think Feb is a bit early. More like April.

Den Deze

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I heard that ipad 7 would be MUCH better and we all should wait until 2016 to buy an ipad!

If you want one, get one.
There will be a minor hardware update & probably FaceTime camera.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I heard that ipad 7 would be MUCH better and we all should wait until 2016 to buy an ipad!

How do you know the hardware update will be minor? Are you a high level Apple executive who has insider information? My guess is you own already own an iPad and *hope* that the update will be minor. :p

applefan022

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2010
Little Rock, AR
If you are on the fence of buying one you might check out the Limited Time Special Refurbished Pricing from apple.com. Just pulled the trigger this morning on a 32GB refurb with new outershell, and new battery, and one year warranty. For the same price as a new 16GB wifi. Deal seems to be only on the wifi model. Might want to check it out. I did this to hold me over till the iPad 2. When i sell it i wont take as big as a hit as if i could paying full price. Already saving 100 on a 32GB. But do what you want just giving some advice.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
This is the third of this same type of post I've found in the last ten minutes. Please, for the love of god, learn to use the search bar.

No, don't bother waiting, the only major improvements to the iPad in the iPad 2 model will be the addition of a camera, and perhaps a speed boost, maybe on option for a 128 GB storage for those crazies who have the compulsion to put everything in the universe onto their iPad. Unless you have some insane need to video chat, or you absolutely couldn't live without the ability to take pictures with your iPad, you should be just fine with the iPad 1. Those saying iPad 2 will have a Retina display are lying, and you shouldn't believe them. What other improvements could there be?

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
How do you know the hardware update will be minor? Are you a high level Apple executive who has insider information? My guess is you own already own an iPad and *hope* that the update will be minor. :p

Maybe because Apple always does minor updates. They don't give you all the features at once. That way you have to keep buying.

It doesn't take a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
512mb ram
1/2 camera(s)
same display (any resolution other than doubled wouldn't scale right)
same processor speed (would fragment iPad1/2)
calling it right now

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
What other improvements could there be?

Intel i7 980X processor (2).
Dual ATI graphics.
32 gigs ram.
512 gig SSD. (256x2 in a RAID array)

Multi threaded apps.
(Which is why we won't see dual core arm. Plus does iOS handle multiple cores? )

Teflon coated so your bacon and eggs don't stick. ;)

Seriously, check out the refurbs, if you pull the trigger and later decided you want 2nd gen, you can give it to spouse or kids and buy a second gen, or keep the 1st gen until 2nd gens are sold as marked down refurbs.

Last edited:

planetwave2000

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2010
Rye, NY
What do you guys think Should i go and buy the ipad or wait till ipad 2 come out. Do you really see it being released in feb of 2011.

Just wait until the second version comes out. They usually learn their mistakes on the first version and improvise on the second version. I will just wait it.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
Buy the cheapest one you can find in pristine condition on craigslist. Try it and see if you like it. When the next iPad generation rolls out, sell the old iPad for around the same price you bought it for. No harm done.

bid2ask77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
New York
Dual ATI graphics.
32 gigs ram.

Multi threaded apps.
(Which is why we won't see dual core arm. Plus does iOS handle multiple cores? )

Seriously, check out the refurbs, if you pull the trigger and later decided you want 2nd gen, you can give it to spouse or kids and buy a second gen, or keep the 1st gen until 2nd gens are sold as marked down refurbs.

I think your right

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Dual ATI graphics.
32 gigs ram.

Multi threaded apps.

Thank you, you just made my day.

And now I want Teflon on my iPad. Please, Apple, Please?

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Just wait until the second version comes out. They usually learn their mistakes on the first version and improvise on the second version. I will just wait it.

Again, why wait? And what mistakes? I don't see any. Lack of cameras. Whatever. Who needs 'em. I already said that. The second revision is likely to be minor, like the move from iPhone 3g to 3Gs. That's the way Apple does things. It's not going to totally revise it's iPad a little year after launch. It's going to add a few minor features to keep up consumer interest so it can ride on the wave of profits the iPad is still currently bringing in, before it makes a major revision to regain consumer attention and bring in more moolah.

Why wait? What major REALISTIC (teflon guy) improvements will be made?

Last edited:

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Again, why wait? And what mistakes? I don't see any. Lack of cameras. Whatever. Who needs 'em. I already said that. The second revision is likely to be minor, like the move from iPhone 3g to 3Gs. That's the way Apple does things. It's not going to totally revise it's iPad a little year after launch. It's going to add a few minor features to keep up consumer interest so it can ride on the wave of profits the iPad is still currently bringing in, before it makes a major revision to regain consumer attention and bring in more moolah.

Why wait? What major REALISTIC (teflon guy) improvements will be made?

Major improvements ? I don't work for Apple, nor do I have an inside scoop. I was also being very sarcastic with my 'predictions'. Really, six core Intel Extreme edition processor ?

Having known someone to buy a new G5 iMac and then a week later Apple releases the Intel iMacs, I can understand where the OP is coming from. While I don't think Ipad 2 will be that drastic of a change, I am not in that loop, so it's just my opinion. We will see when it comes out. But, I enjoy the crap out of my Ipad, and no matter what version 2 does, mine will still do tomorrow what it does today.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA

That makes sense ... if the year we were in December of 2015.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I want an iPad for work related things. (meeting notes, testing web services, ect, ect)

However I am waiting until the new version is released. It's hard, but my existing method works for right now.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Major improvements ? I don't work for Apple, nor do I have an inside scoop. I was also being very sarcastic with my 'predictions'. Really, six core Intel Extreme edition processor ?

Having known someone to buy a new G5 iMac and then a week later Apple releases the Intel iMacs, I can understand where the OP is coming from. While I don't think Ipad 2 will be that drastic of a change, I am not in that loop, so it's just my opinion. We will see when it comes out. But, I enjoy the crap out of my Ipad, and no matter what version 2 does, mine will still do tomorrow what it does today.

I know, my reference to you was a joke, although I understand how it could have been misread. I loved your predictions.

I don't work at apple either, but knowing apple history coupled with the pictures of iPad cases that have been "leaked" recently, I think my assumption that minor improvements only will be made is pretty solid. Plus, as someone said, when the iPad 2 is released, my iPad is going to work just as well as it does now. The iPad isn't going to be put for a considerable time, two monthsish at minimum, so why wait? The current is just wonderful at what it does. If you don't need a camera, what's the point in waiting for one? That's all I'm saying.

I agree with you on the one week g5 thing, but we aren't talking a matter of a week right now, so much as 2-6 months.

JasonHiccup

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just wait. Patience is an excellent virtues.

rezatayebi

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
I got an iPad last week.
I'm really happy I didnt wait for iPad 2.
It's a useful mini computer which helps you become more productive. So go get it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.