Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hello,

How do I access game files (half life 2) for a steam game? I have searched around, and there seem to be no folders containing game files that I can access. There's just Steam and the half life 2 application. Nothing else.

I know you can access the game files that make up the game (such as models, sound files, images etc) because everyone talks about finding things in the game files (on Windows). There must be a way to do it in Mac OSX too... Does anyone know of a way?

Thanks!

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
hey :)
okay here goes:
Macintosh HD
Users
<username>
Library
Application Support
Steam
SteamApps
<steam username>
half-life 2

great game!

And once you find the app you're looking for, right-click (or control-click) and choose "Show Package Contents". This will give you the models, sound files, etc. used in the game. Alternatively, there may be a file in ~/Library/Application Support/NAME_OF_GAME, where ~ denotes your Home folder.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for your help guys :) I found Half life 2 and it's contents using the path you provided, however it showed files that I don't seem to have the right applications to open. I can access the fonts and the intro video and logos, but thats it really :confused: Is there any way I can open these beige files?:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Half life 2 contents.png
    Half life 2 contents.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,613

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, if they're just binary files then there's no point in "opening" them -- what are you trying to actually do with them?

If they are config files then they are simply text files with a non-".txt" extension. Drag them into Text Edit and they will open right up.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well, if they're just binary files then there's no point in "opening" them -- what are you trying to actually do with them?

If they are config files then they are simply text files with a non-".txt" extension. Drag them into Text Edit and they will open right up.

I'm trying to find all the models, images, videos and audio files in the game like you can do on Windows. In Mac OSX are they all just binary files that you can't access? :(

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.