Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rmv221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I just ordered the Zagg Mate with the keyboard for my iPad 64/3G. Looks great, practable and something that would protect it! At least on the video it did. Now just waiting for it. Has anyone have one of these because I would like your input to it! :apple:
Thanks

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I just ordered the Zagg Mate with the keyboard for my iPad 64/3G. Looks great, practable and something that would protect it! At least on the video it did. Now just waiting for it. Has anyone have one of these because I would like your input to it! :apple:
Thanks

I ordered one a couple days ago. Someone mentioned the thing that holds the iPad up was a little flimsy, no concern for me - I'll make my own ;). But it does look rather cool. I like the keyboard attachment. Can't wait.

Rmv221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks so far for all the comments. I am sure I made the right decision to get it. :D

Macmar88

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
My girlfriend gave me an early christmas gift yesterday and it was of course the Zagg Mate!!! this thing is awesome im actually typing on it now. The only thing I hate is the super plain aluminum front. I thinking about getting a cool decal to jazz it up. Other than that though i has have no real issues.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
My girlfriend gave me an early christmas gift yesterday and it was of course the Zagg Mate!!! this thing is awesome im actually typing on it now. The only thing I hate is the super plain aluminum front. I thinking about getting a cool decal to jazz it up. Other than that though i has have no real issues.

Welcome to the ZaggMate club. Although I have to disagree about the front. I think it looks very sleek and imitates the overall design of the MBP and MB Air.

Rmv221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
A great write up on the Zaggmate. I think I made the right decision on ordering it. Everyone who has one, likes it! Now I just have to wait for it. It says delivery on or before December 17th. Oh well, looks like a Christmas gift to me!:D :D. Thanks everyone ......

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
That makes me feel like I made the right purchase. Just got an email saying it's almost ready to ship. Can't wait.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I just picked one up last night.

First off, let me state, that my perfect device would be a convertible laptop/tablet based on a lightweight OS.

Pros:

- Effectively gives me my perfect device (though not perfectly).
- Keyboard is solid and clicky
- Shortcut buttons are very handy
- Fit and finish is much better than I was expecting (I think some got early versions or pre production models in their reviews?)
- Weight is very reasonable for what it is
- Pretty usable on your lap, you can tilt the whole thing backwards and the iPad stays
- Stand is surprisingly stable
- After getting it set up, its really nice just popping the tablet out and using it as a tablet, or turning around and using it as a makeshift laptop
- iPad really stays in there when "closed"

Cons:

- It's a bit awkward going from "closed" to "open"
- iPad really stays in there when "closed" (yes, this is a pro AND con :D)
- Keyboard is tiny and keys have a non standard placement (unavoidable, but still)
- Using it on your lap can be precarious, if you tilt the whole thing towards yourself, the iPad will tilt/fall off once it hits a certain point

Overall, I really like it so far. It's not perfect for me, but its easily the best option I've found for going from tablet to laptop quickly and easily. I have designs in my head that I hope are made some day, but until then, this will do. :)

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
I picked up the Zaggmate last night at Best Buy. I generally like the case, however, I find the keys too small. I find I'm making as many mistakes typing with the Zagg as using the iPad keyboard. Otherwise it seems fine and I have no problem with the moveable stand which some people say doesn't seem strong.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I picked up the Zaggmate last night at Best Buy. I generally like the case, however, I find the keys too small. I find I'm making as many mistakes typing with the Zagg as using the iPad keyboard. Otherwise it seems fine and I have no problem with the moveable stand which some people say doesn't seem strong.

It took me some time to get used to it, and its still a bit small, but you begin to get better with time, imo.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
I just got my Zagg Mate w/keyboard case today and I love it. I have never been a fan of the virtual keyboard, although it is pretty cool. I like the case a lot and the keyboard seems pretty quick to get used to. Yes, it is small, but it is effective and I love the short cut keys. Before this I'd go on my MacBook to email/post on forums...now I feel like my iPad is truly a laptop replacement. I would venture to say I will likely only use my MacBook to sync my iPad. Love the case - the look, the feel, the build. Great case. Oh, it does not protect that back of the iPad, which we all knew. I will likely use this case only around the house and use my Yoobao Slim on the go. I prefer to use the iPad naked also...so it is all good finally.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Can you put the iPad in the case screen side up for those times you don't want to use the keyboard?

misterc

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Face side up

No you can't. I current have both the Zaggmate and Typad Gen2 at home after being completely undecided. Still trtying to figure out which one to return. The sleekness of the Zaggmate is far superior to the Typad but the idea of not being able to flip the ipad screen side up is a bit bothersome.

Any thoughts?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
No you can't. I current have both the Zaggmate and Typad Gen2 at home after being completely undecided. Still trtying to figure out which one to return. The sleekness of the Zaggmate is far superior to the Typad but the idea of not being able to flip the ipad screen side up is a bit bothersome. Any thoughts?

I've read reviews of the Typad and the bulk it adds to the iPad doesn't appeal to me. I also ordered a LeatherSkin, so I suppose I'll just leave the keyboard in my bag when not needed and use the iPad almost 'naked'. :D

misterc

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Just used both and the typed keyboard is horrible. The keys are really stiff. Zaggmate is so much better to type on.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
As others have said, you cannot put the iPad face up in the case, but I don't understand why you would want to. In my opinion, this isn't the best on the go case. Well, for me. I use the iPad on the train everyday to read and it would be too bothersome to take it out of the case while standing up. I will use my Yoobao Slim in those circumstances and use the Zagg at home or when I travel.

I don't think it's necessary to put the iPad in screen up. I just set the keyboard aside. I think a big benefit of this case is you can use the iPad naked, which takes away any bulk. I don't like that the Slim's cover doesn't lay flat in portrait and the strap is annoying.. I read a lot, so I'm usually in portrait. Much more comfortable to hold naked.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
I got one yesterday...

To be honest, I think it is rather cheaply made. The internal plastic parts, especially the on/off switch, remind me of those cheap dollar store toys and gadgets. My iPad rocks, and doesn't sit flush when in the case, indicating that the ridge above the keyboard is higher than the rubber that the iPad is sitting on. The rubber around the edge is not evenly placed, and does not hold the iPad well. I find it hard to believe this thing survived any kind of drop test, and qualifies as protection for an iPad.

The keys are a bit small, and I feel like I'm typing inside a tray. Cool idea, but for $100, it should be of much better quality. I would almost be embarrassed to use it in public. I think I'm going to return it.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Just got mine at Best Buy an hour ago with the 10% coupon.

Build quality is pretty nice. The power button does feel cheap but I love the aluminum outside casing. Typing with it is good. Keys are not full size but I can see myself getting used to this. Only made a couple typos typing this post with it.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Just got mine at Best Buy an hour ago with the 10% coupon.

Build quality is pretty nice. The power button does feel cheap but I love the aluminum outside casing. Typing with it is good. Keys are not full size but I can see myself getting used to this. Only made a couple typos typing this post with it.

I think it's rather nicely made for what it is. They obviously wanted to make it as small, light eight and sleek as possible. I think they did a great job. I love having a keyboard, and although it is small, I find myself getting used to it fast. It will be one of the two cases I use regularly. SO much easier typing on this keyboard than the virtual one.

My iPad sits flat inside the case. To the person's whose doesn't - exchange it. I think it could survive a fall as well as any of the other cases I have, if not a bit better. I'm more concerned with size, style and functionality than I am with protection. I couldn't stand my first case - it was so big and bulky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.