Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

istud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
After all this trouble and bickering I finally have 2 Iphones side by side in the comfort of my home to compare.

1x 16gb Iphone 4 week 44 (Blue Tint) (My girlfriend)
1x 32gb Iphone 4 week 36 (Yellow Tint) (Mine)

Set both to max brightness:

Blue Tint:
- appears brighter
- more "White" when on the brightness screen settings
- when tilted to its side and there were no apparent "Light Bleed"

Yellow Tint:
- appears less bright
- less "White"
- when tilted LED backlit can be seen. However, only when looking at this extreme angle. Less extreme angle this is not an issue and should not be of a concern for both Screen Tints

Here's a thread describing what I mean by "tilted to side":
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1030940/

Here is what's really surprising:)

Colors:
Many look at the white screen and think the Blue Tint is a superior screen to the "Yellow Screen" but I exclusively own only IPS screens for my desktop, TV, and laptop and have compare many screens for color reproduction as well as the famous IPS viewing angles.

To do this comparison, the wallpaper settings was use for the many photos as well as Iphone dead pixel test for solid one color (black, red, blue, etc...). The lights was turned off so to get the full effects of the comparison.

Result:
Wow...the yellow screen reproduced color very accurate like an IPS screen should. Blacks look black, yellows are yellows, etc..., pictures are detailed and color accurate.

Blue Tint screen is a tiny bit of a disappointment. Colors look a little washed out. Blacks appear to have tint of gray. Color reproduction was off and not as accurate as the yellow screen. Only the blank white screen appears to be more vibrant but I suspect this is due to its unnatural color reproduction of "White".

Conclusion:
The "Yellow Tint" many of you have complained about (including myself) is not an issue but in actuality a blessing. The "Yellow Tint" has superior color reproduction...Whites, blacks, red, yellow, etc...you name it. However, on initial encounter the "Blue Tint" will appear whiter, brighter, and is reminiscent of TN screen technology and will offer an instant gratification that it is a superior screen but in fact the opposite. However, those who appreciate brightness more than color accuracy should be content with the "Blue Tint" while those who are more picture/graphical directed should opt for the "Yellow Tint". Either screen will be fine for Smart Phone operations but I prefer the "Yellow Tint" and my GF likes the "Whiter-Blue Tint"...Win Win.

PS: I will have pictures up once I can get my hands on a camera so you all can see both screens side by side.

Last edited:

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
This is not normal

2010-11-22155932.jpg

2010-11-21092728.jpg

Hologram777

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
in the end though its really just personal preference. My hdtv is set to warm, which would i guess be like the iphone with a slight yellow tint. but that dosnt mean i like my iphone with that same effect. having owned a yellow tint screen iphone 4 and now my "blue" tint iphone with the white screen, i have to say i prefer the white over yellow any day.

JonTa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Funny how I have came to opposite conclusion, as I bought two i4s, one for me and one one for my gf (same differences, one yellow, one "blue" - "cold-white" I would say is more accurate term)

After testing, looking, comparing, gaming, etc, the blue-tinted screen is definitely more vibrant and much more pleasing/eye-popping for games. Im not saying that is more accurate as Im no expert in this field, but on AB testing I would (had) pick up blue-tinted one over yellow one any day.

my 2 cents...

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Same here, I have the blue, mum has the yellow. And I can't help going yuck in my head as the screen definitely looks cheaper! pixelated even.

It reminds me of the cold 2g vs yellow 3g debate, and I still consider colder better in all LCD's. Especially LED displays!

My 27" imac is much warmer than my 24" LED and it reminds me of pre-LED fading displays YUCK.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
i just wish apple would add colour management to their portable devices ... iPad seriously needs it if you want to use it Professionally as a portfolio etc.

Drives me crazy, ipod touch,iphone, multiple iPads that i have had all have different tinted screens etc

(Anyone who says otherwise just doesnt care about their art in my opinion, I take colouring extremely serious as it has to be perfect and they way you want it..after all you worked hard on it and it should be presented in its best way)

However my Macbook Pro screen is fannnntastic :D Absolutely love it

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I've owned the first gen iPhone w/ a cooler screen and iPod touch w/ a warmer screen. I have no real preferences for either one, but it is true that the warmer colors produces more accurate colors. I had a picture of my cousin compared side by side, and the warmer screen showed more detail when the pic was taken under a shadow. You could see her face much clearer. The cooler screen does have an advantage with brightness and whites.

It is all a matter of getting used to either one after awhile as my eyes will eventually adjust to it. My iPhone 4 has the warmer screen and I personally don't mind if I do. It is a win-win for me since I have no preferences and got used to both of them already.

istud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
This is not normal

This is not normal?
- I'm confuse as to what you mean. Which one in your opinion is the normal (Left or right)?

Both of those screens are normal.

The left is an Ipod Touch (TN screen) and the right is an Iphone 4 (IPS screen).

Traditionally IPS screen technology was reserved for graphics/video professionals who demanded the best in image quality (with being the best comes high price tags and accessibility restrictions). Most consumers have no idea what an IPS screen looks like because 99% (exaggeration) of LCD screens are TN (Twisted nematic) with inferior image quality and poorer viewing angle.

The Iphone 4 is the only one of its kind to have an Extremely High Resolution dpi IPS LCD display (no other phones including Androids,Windows/Ipod Itouch 4/Previous Iphones 3g,3gs, etc...) has the IPS technology...this includes the Ipod itouch 4 (retina display - High Resolution TN LCD).

Of course most people will complain that the professional grade, superior image quality, and color reproduction of the IPS LCD (Iphone 4) will not have the "Blue /Fluorescent tint" of all their other inferior TN LCD that they have gone accustomed to (due to it's relative low price).

Those who are complaining of a "yellow tint"...go to AT&T and fire up a picture and compare to All the other phones (android, windows,etc...all TN panels). This "Blue/Flourescent tint" is nothing more than a TN screen tint that most are accustomed to.

-Only when in the Setting's Brightness screen is when the difference is most exaggerated (referencing Blue vs Yellow Tint)

Youtube comparison of Ipod Touch 4 (TN) vs Iphone 4 (IPS):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUKpQjnlEc

I'm starting to think that Apple may have slipped some of the High Resolution TN LCD (TN retina display found in Ipod Touch 4) in with Iphone 4. I'm feeling a bit peeve that the "Blue/Flourescent tint" Iphone 4 my GF is using doesn't have the same Image Quality of my "Yellow Tint" Iphone 4 (I'm just Glad she's happy with her Iphone 4)

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Personally, I think this is just being a bit too picky ... at least to call for a replacement. My iPod Touch is significantly warmer than my iPhone, but I'm not going to request for a replacement. Different manufacturers make the screens and they wont be perfectly the same.

It's not like you are really doing anything on your phone that needs color precision.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got the same experience:
I got an yellow tint ip4 and thought it is bad from reading posts here. I went through 4 phone exchanges to finally got "white" screen (or blue/cool white).

Last week I bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 1080P screen. Out of the box it looks yellow tint on a white background page. I said to myself " oh no, here we go again" thinking of going through exchange.

But after reading more, including "cool white 2g vs warm 3G iPhone debate, I then realizing exactly what the OP explain in the first post. In the end, I decided to keep the xps laptop

Cheap cool/blue temperature screen that most TN panels mislead us to believe that it is a "true" white.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got the same experience:
I got an yellow tint ip4 and thought it is bad from reading posts here. I went through 4 phone exchanges to finally got "white" screen (or blue/cool white).

Last week I bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 1080P screen. Out of the box it looks yellow tint on a white background page. I said to myself " oh no, here we go again" thinking of going through exchange.

But after reading more, including "cool white 2g vs warm 3G iPhone debate, I then realizing exactly what the OP explain in the first post. In the end, I decided to keep the xps laptop

Cheap cool/blue temperature screen that most TN panels mislead us to believe that it is a "true" white.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
This is not normal?
- I'm confuse as to what you mean. Which one in your opinion is the normal (Left or right)?

The left is an Ipod Touch (TN screen) and the right is an Iphone 4 (IPS screen).

Traditionally IPS screen technology was reserved for graphics/video professionals who demanded the best in image quality (with being the best comes high price tags and accessibility restrictions). Most consumers have no idea what an IPS screen looks like because 99% (exaggeration) of LCD screens are TN (Twisted nematic) with inferior image quality and poorer viewing angle.

The Iphone 4 is the only one of its kind to have an Extremely High Resolution dpi IPS LCD display (no other phones including Androids,Windows/Ipod Itouch 4/Previous Iphones 3g,3gs, etc...) has the IPS technology...this includes the Ipod itouch 4 (retina display - High Resolution TN LCD).

Of course most people will complain that the professional grade, superior image quality, and color reproduction of the IPS LCD (Iphone 4) will not have the "Blue /Fluorescent tint" of all their other inferior TN LCD that they have gone accustomed to (due to it's relative low price).

Those who are complaining of a "yellow tint"...go to AT&T and fire up a picture and compare to All the other phones (android, windows,etc...all TN panels). This "Blue/Flourescent tint" is nothing more than a TN screen tint that most are accustomed to.

-Only when in the Setting's Brightness screen is when the difference is most exaggerated (referencing Blue vs Yellow Tint)

Youtube comparison of Ipod Touch 4 (TN) vs Iphone 4 (IPS):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUKpQjnlEc

I'm starting to think that Apple may have slipped some of the High Resolution TN LCD (TN retina display found in Ipod Touch 4) in with Iphone 4. I'm feeling a bit peeve that the "Blue/Flourescent tint" Iphone 4 my GF is using doesn't have the same Image Quality of my "Yellow Tint" Iphone 4 (I'm just Glad she's happy with her Iphone 4)

Left
The one on the left has the correct color temperature
Thats is correct.
This is debatable. In terms of resolution, Retina beats anything on the market but in in terms of color reproduction and contrast ratio Super AMOLED beats Retina
I had the opportunity to compare m iPhone 4 to the display models at the Apple store. My iPhone 4 was considered more yellow compare to the ones on display which had a more neutral color.

All iPhone 4 use IPS display. The problem is who are making these displays. In the beginning it was said that LG was making them but I believe in order to satisfy demand Apple is using different manufacturers who are producing cheaper quality IPS displays compare to LG.

I'm feeling a bit peeve that the "Blue/Flourescent tint" Iphone 4 my GF is using doesn't have the same Image Quality of my "Yellow Tint" Iphone 4 (I'm just Glad she's happy with her Iphone 4)
All LCD exhibit color shifting even IPS displays

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
you guys are completely insane

nothing wrong with any of these screens, just temperature variations

word of advice, just use your own iPhone, don't worry about anyone elses, your eyes will get used to any yellow or blue and adjust = white phone

it's sad but there's no help for you OCD people

personally my iPhone is slightly yellow, similar to my apple cinema display, which was calibrated using a spyder2

istud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
The one on the left has the correct color temperature
Nope, the one on the left has roughly 7000K and the one on the right has 6500K. Any LCD forum will agree that 6500K is the more correct color temp whereas 7000K is overtly high. The TN screen (left) does not have a more accurate color temp than the IPS screen (right). Bring this argument to any Hardware forum and you'll be greeted with foul Names that you never knew existed.
personally my iPhone is slightly yellow, similar to my apple cinema display, which was calibrated using a spyder2
Yep...I agree.

I had the opportunity to compare m iPhone 4 to the display models at the Apple store. My iPhone 4 was considered more yellow compare to the ones on display which had a more neutral color.
Again I also compared my "yellow tint" phone to the Iphone display at AT&T stores (similar to the iPhone 4 my GF has). The "Blue/Flourescent" tint at the AT&T store had less color accuracy compare to the "yellow tint". It was over-saturated. The AT&T guy and I both looked at wallpapers, setting brightness, as well as his own iPhone (which also had the "Blue Tint") and agreed that the slightly yellow tint iphone had better color/image/detail reproduction. Initially he claimed that "yellow tint" iphone was a defect but after comparisons we agreed that the Yellow tint had better image/color display. I also compared the Blue Tint vs Yellow Tint at home extensively and there is no doubt that the Yellow Tint has better color/image accuracy. I don't understand you definition of neutral, if it means overly saturated then I agree.

All LCD exhibit color shifting even IPS displays
Where did I write that IPS screen does not have color shifting? It's common knowledge that LCDs color shift with viewing angle changes.

There aren't many IPS LCDs around due to its high price so I can absolutely understand why many are up in arms about the warmer hue of the iPhone 4 IPS screen but to say it's a defect is just plain ignorant. The only area where the Blue vs Yellow Tint is most evident is on the "Setting" Brightness screen.

How many here will keep their phones majority of time on the "Setting" brightness screen?
How many will use their phones for videos, photos, multimedia, etc... where there are colors?

Last edited:

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
what you guys have to understand is white led technology is still pretty new, unlike ccfl tubes, so there will be some variation (white led= blue led with yellow phosphour)

Even high end led manufacturers like osram have difficulty making 100% identical white led, no two batches will ever be the same exact temperature

only way to avoid this is

a) apple only buys white LEDs with the exact same Kelvin number (I assume this is not cost effective)
b) start using rgb LEDs and set them to the same color of white (also not cost effective)

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Nope, the one on the left has roughly 7000K and the one on the right has 6500K. Any LCD forum will agree that 6500K is the more correct color temp whereas 7000K is overtly high. The TN screen (left) does not have a more accurate color temp than the IPS screen (right). Bring this argument to any Hardware forum and you'll be greeted with foul Names that you never knew existed.

Yep...I agree.

Again I also compared my "yellow tint" phone to the Iphone display at AT&T stores (similar to the iPhone 4 my GF has). The "Blue/Flourescent" tint at the AT&T store had less color accuracy compare to the "yellow tint". It was over-saturated. The AT&T guy and I both looked at wallpapers, setting brightness, as well as his own iPhone (which also had the "Blue Tint") and agreed that the slightly yellow tint iphone had better color/image/detail reproduction. Initially he claimed that "yellow tint" iphone was a defect but after comparisons we agreed that the Yellow tint had better image/color display. I also compared the Blue Tint vs Yellow Tint at home extensively and there is no doubt that the Yellow Tint has better color/image accuracy. I don't understand you definition of neutral, if it means overly saturated then I agree.

Where did I write that IPS screen does not have color shifting? It's common knowledge that LCDs color shift with viewing angle changes.

There aren't many IPS LCDs around due to its high price so I can absolutely understand why many are up in arms about the warmer hue of the iPhone 4 IPS screen but to say it's a defect is just plain ignorant. The only area where the Blue vs Yellow Tint is most evident is on the "Setting" Brightness screen.

How many here will keep their phones majority of time on the "Setting" brightness screen?
How many will use their phones for videos, photos, multimedia, etc... where there are colors?

Ok thats nice but you are missing my point istud. I know that IPS LCDs are more accurate when it comes to color temp. I am not going to denied that but as you can see from the screen shots that I have posted the color white has yellow tint over the entire screen which should not be present. This is clearly a defect and my most people that I have compare my phone with agree with me.

Again I also compared my "yellow tint" phone to the Iphone display at AT&T stores (similar to the iPhone 4 my GF has). The "Blue/Flourescent" tint at the AT&T store had less color accuracy compare to the "yellow tint". It was over-saturated. The AT&T guy and I both looked at wallpapers, setting brightness, as well as his own iPhone (which also had the "Blue Tint") and agreed that the slightly yellow tint iphone had better color/image/detail reproduction.

My phone did not have a slightly yellow tint like yours. The entire screen was yellow.

I don't understand you definition of neutral, if it means overly saturated then I agree.

Neutral as in not overly saturated

There aren't many IPS LCDs around due to its high price
Really?
link
link

I can absolutely understand why many are up in arms about the warmer hue of the iPhone 4 IPS screen but to say it's a defect is just plain ignorant

I disagree istud. To accept a screen that is clearly defective is just plain ignorant.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
to istud.

Does this look normal to you?

Here is clear proof for what I am talking about. The yellow tint is not normal

4903628522_6f8ca05142_z.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic16.jpg

pic17.jpg

pic18.jpg

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I like cooler colors and miss the blue tint on my original iPhone 4

it seems new and replacement (what i have currently) units are shipping with the yellow screens now

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
@samven582
That's a great set of comparisons. While I understand that it's hard to judge color based on a picture of a screen, the "warm" screen on the right look better to me. Especially the photos. For example, there is significantly more detail in the blue jeans and flowers.

kmacks27

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I just contacted Apple Support with this very same problem with my Iphone 4 they said they have never herd of any yellow screen problems. I insisted that there was a defect and after arguing for awhile they finally sent out a repair. Why cant Apple just step up to the plate and admit there are some problems with this model. I have had every other Iphone and never had any denial from Apple when there was an issue.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I just contacted Apple Support with this very same problem with my Iphone 4 they said they have never herd of any yellow screen problems. I insisted that there was a defect and after arguing for awhile they finally sent out a repair. Why cant Apple just step up to the plate and admit there are some problems with this model. I have had every other Iphone and never had any denial from Apple when there was an issue.

Ive been dealing with yellow screen phones for 3 generations of iPhones now. One thing that NEVER fails: Apple claims they have never heard of the issue Every Time!!!

So stupid

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Ive been dealing with yellow screen phones for 3 generations of iPhones now. One thing that NEVER fails: Apple claims they have never heard of the issue Every Time!!!

So stupid

Was in SF today, showed them my yellow screen replacement (orginal was blue tinted) and he noticed it was yellow. gave me replacement (was yellow) took out 3 more all yellow

Conclusion: After seeing 8 replacement iPhone 4s, they are all yellow tinted
(brand new are blue)

nothing you can do about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.