Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theraker007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Whats the best way to clean this thing.. I already regret paying the $40 for it, i shoulda bought third party but I wanted it protected right away.

Anyway, the thing is getting dusty and dirty as hell and I almost wanna run it under the sink and air dry it but that doesnt seem like a great idea. Any suggestions?

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
use a damp clean micro fiber cloth and just wipe it. then use another dry clean micro fiber cloth to wipe it dry. works like a charm.:)

wimryan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
K.i.s.s.

Hey all;
Not sure why this is such a big deal, I subscribe to the Keep It Simple Stupid method. I take a plain scotchbrite sponge (green and abrasive on one side, yellow and spongy on the other side), put about 3 drops of liquid dish soap and run the sponge under warm water. Scrub the case inside and out with the yellow side of the sponge, pass a clean cloth over the entire surface, and let it air dry.
Good as new! No need to get complicated...
Hope this helps

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yup, just a damp lint-free cloth will make it look new again. Honestly, I bought the Apple case as a stop-gap when I first picked up the iPad, but honestly, it's a lot better than 99% of the 3rd party cases I've seen. It's super slim, even with the cover folded back, yet still allows you to stand the iPad in a couple of orientations. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I refuse to clean my Apple iPad case. It's dirty and scratched like a well-worn leather motorcycle jacket. It looks like the road warrior that it is.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Does the case scratch easy? I had a look at it at the apple store and it looks like it's made from some material that shows scratches easily. I do like how thin it is tho and I'm looking for a case for mine.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yup, just a damp lint-free cloth will make it look new again. Honestly, I bought the Apple case as a stop-gap when I first picked up the iPad, but honestly, it's a lot better than 99% of the 3rd party cases I've seen. It's super slim, even with the cover folded back, yet still allows you to stand the iPad in a couple of orientations. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

Same here. I have yet to find a case better than the Apple iPad case. Most 3rd party cases look very nice, but are bulky and have an odd way to hold the iPad with elastics that makes it look cheap.
And the skins don't protect the display, which is what I care most. I don't use a screen protector, so the Apple case protects it all the time.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Same here. I have yet to find a case better than the Apple iPad case. Most 3rd party cases look very nice, but are bulky and have an odd way to hold the iPad with elastics that makes it look cheap.
And the skins don't protect the display, which is what I care most. I don't use a screen protector, so the Apple case protects it all the time.
Depending what you want protection from the apple case would be the worst imo.

If I drop mine in my Snugg case it has a chance of being fine as of the 'leather', in the apple case... well.. not a chance

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Does the case scratch easy? I had a look at it at the apple store and it looks like it's made from some material that shows scratches easily. I do like how thin it is tho and I'm looking for a case for mine.

I bought mine the day the 3G models were released and have had it on since then. It isn't scratched at all and I have cleaned it 3 or 4 times with a damp cloth as others pointed out. Still looks good.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Just had a look, Armor All make a range of different products.

Which one are they using?

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
The original Armorall Protectant is what I used. Works great.

Apply liberally with a lint-free cloth, allow to penetrate for a while, buff off excess and allow to dry.

It's amazing the difference this makes.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
1: Remove your iPad
2: Get a lighter
3: Liberally apply fire to the Apple Case
4: ???
5: Buy a new, better case.
6: Profit!

Seriously. It's 40 dollars to burn something you hate. Do it!

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I felt exactly the same way (see above) until I discovered the Armorall trick.

The fact is that functional design of the Apple case is still the best, and I've tried a few. The only thing about it that p¡ssed me off was the thing looking scruffy permanently. While the application of Armorall doesn't eliminate this completely, it does makes it tolerable.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I felt exactly the same way (see above) until I discovered the Armorall trick.

The fact is that functional design of the Apple case is still the best, and I've tried a few. The only thing about it that p¡ssed me off was the thing looking scruffy permanently. While the application of Armorall doesn't eliminate this completely, it does makes it tolerable.

My Apple case is looking very ratty even after various cleaning methods (Baby wipes, Warm water, etc).

I just put in an order for an Incase Magazine case which looks to be just as functional and pretty much as thin as the Apple case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.