Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jac23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I've been connected to my home network since I've had my phone, now out of the blue, my iPhone has decided that my password is incorrect, yet it is correct.

My connection is fine on all my laptops, so I know it's not a problem with my internet.

Why has this happened so suddenly and randomly? It just won't accept my correct password. :confused:

Reactions: DannyMcO

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been connected to my home network since I've had my phone, now out of the blue, my iPhone has decided that my password is incorrect, yet it is correct.

My connection is fine on all my laptops, so I know it's not a problem with my internet.

Why has this happened so suddenly and randomly? It just won't accept my correct password. :confused:
This has happened to a few people. It's really irritating. The only solutions I would have would be to either restore, or change the password, both of which are really annoying.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
This happened to me with an iPhone 3G. It took numerous times of inputting the password into the iPhone before it finally worked. Very annoying indeed.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I just did "forget network" and then re-added it. It's been fine ever since. Try it and see if it works for you.

daniele2610

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Hi all,

My iPhone 4 out of blue decided not to accept the wifi password- it says "wrong password for xxx network" - it's my home one it always worked-

I was away and worked fine for a week in others houses (where the password was stored already) went to other house, tried to connect with passwprd and started saying the pw was wrong - got home last night and didn't connect right away as usual(maybe because I've reset the network when away) so I've put the pw in and again says it's wrong - Of course the password is correct - laptop works fine and iPod touch as well - At work there is a non protected wifi and it connects fine - So looks like the iPhone doesn't accept passwprds for the wifi

I've tryed to reset the network few times, reboot it few times, reset all settings and update the sofware (version 5.0.1) - nothing worked - aw also unpluged and re-pluged the router at home (knowiing wouldn't' help)

PLEASE help, very frustrating - I've seen few people had the same issue but nothing worked.

Thanks

spaghetti head

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
My home wireless (Netgear WNDR3400) has 2 frequencies, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. My iPhone will only connect to the 2.4GHz, although my wife;s Macbook and iPad will connect to both. My iPhone will occasionally not connect. I go into my wireless router settings and bump the channel one number (it's not set to auto). I find that this makes it so I can connect, and I don't even have to mess with the password or any other settings.

dolampochki

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012

I had the same problem. I have no idea why this happened, but disabling HTTP proxy worked for my iPhone 3G:

Go to Settings-->Wi-Fi
Hit the blue arrow by your network name
Scroll all the way down to "HTTP Proxy". Your options there are Off, Manual and Auto
Hit "Off"
Go back to Wi-Fi Networks
Choose your network by hitting the network name
Enter your network key when asked for a password
Hit ok
Cross your fingers...

Reactions: Qash

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
dont restore if u jailbroken, here is the solution and worked for me

here is the solution....just for JB iphone 4s
Iv been searching for a solution myself for more than 24 hours work. Read in a lot of forums and followed everything people say, but it was useless. i lost hope then called apple tech for help and they gave me the same stupid stuff iv been seeing everywhere in internet.

So, i lost hope and i went to cydia trying to see if there something that maybe by chance may work, finally, i installed "Pushfix" and im connected again to wifi.

my problem was that i coudn't connect to 2.4 ghz wifi with a password and keeps saying Incorrect Password over and over gain even im sure its correct.

So give it a shot, install Pushfix and let me know, i believe u can uninstall it after.

:)

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I've been having this "bug" ever since 6.1.2, it's incredibly annoying. For the most part, adding the wifi name and password manually works.

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
concerning incorrect password

im happy to hear that it worked for you by doing it manually. in my case, i tried many times to do the same but keeps saying "incorrect password". Didi u have ur Wifi set up without a password? because if it is the case, it worked just fine, till i put password encryption like WPA, WPA2 or WEP, it keeps saying incorrect password in my iphone. the only solution that helped me connect is the Push fix tweak from cydia, it restarted the WIFI logs and push notifications.....

Eddie99

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Hi could anybody help every time I try to connect my iphone 5 to wifi it keeps saying incorrect password but its not av tried to reset the network but still no look plz help

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Resetting network settings usually fixes this. Some cases when the wi-fi network is a common name such as Linksys can pose problems.

alihasojaso

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
concerning incorrect password WiFi

the best solution is to reset network settings en enter the password for the WiFi before you unlock the sim card. I did it en it works

survnic

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
I had the same problem. I have no idea why this happened, but disabling HTTP proxy worked for my iPhone 3G:

Go to Settings-->Wi-Fi
Scroll all the way down to "HTTP Proxy". Your options there are Off, Manual and Auto
Hit "Off"
Hit ok
Cross your fingers...
I reset network settings and then hit AUTO. That worked!

LaraStone

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Go to Settings>>General>>Reset>>Reset Network Settings.
Then try to connect to it.
OOPs..I just noticed that you already tried this. Have you reset your router yet?

brysrty

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2016

Go to Settings-->Wi-Fi
Hit "Off"
Hit ok
Cross your fingers...
[doublepost=1453481418][/doublepost]FANTASTIC. Many Thanks.
I have had the same problem for 5 days. MOST FRUSTRATING. My proxy was already on OFF, but I touched it anyway and went back and put the password in. WAM-HO.

Thanks Again

Vorno

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016
[doublepost=1453481418][/doublepost]FANTASTIC. Many Thanks.
I have had the same problem for 5 days. MOST FRUSTRATING. My proxy was already on OFF, but I touched it anyway and went back and put the password in. WAM-HO.

Thanks Again

Wow wish that worked for my Ipad2 which is having the same problem.
Have tried everything in this forum ( and spent an hour on the phone to apple ) but alas - still no go!
Apple are to get back to me once the 'engineers' have assessed the prob.
Only thing I haven't tried is the Cydia fix, but $5.99...... :))

AnnGer

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Got mine fixed!!!!!! Go to wifi. Connect to any open wifi. Try this a few times as it wouldn't connect the first time. Then when it connected, I went back to my choice of wifi connection. Type in password and it worked!

mollyperry19

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Yeah, I suppose you can "Reset Factory Defaults" on the phone.
[doublepost=1480907913][/doublepost]nah that doesn't work, resetting your network setting dont work either
[doublepost=1480907947][/doublepost]
no no no, just reset network settings NOT factory defaults
you go to General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
[doublepost=1480908014][/doublepost]that doesnt work either unfortunately

Rippeddisc

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Same issue. Reset Network Settings. Manually entered SSID. Restarted phone. Etc. No luck...anyone else with an update to this?

[doublepost=1480907913][/doublepost]nah that doesn't work, resetting your network setting dont work either
[doublepost=1480907947][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1480908014][/doublepost]that doesnt work either unfortunately

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.