Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iguess25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
The Art Institute of las vegas say they in the Top of art schools in finding students a job in 6 months.. With a 94%of finding a student jobs.. The guy say there vegas locations is best out there 50+ schools..

The art institute of vegas is worth it do they teach great ad do you learn anything???

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
The Art Institute of las vegas say they in the Top of art schools in finding students a job in 6 months.. With a 94%of finding a student jobs.. The guy say there vegas locations is best out there 50+ schools..

The art institute of vegas is worth it do they teach great ad do you learn anything???

If AI of Vegas is anything like AI of Vancouver, it's all marketing. I rarely see anything good come out of the students that go there. I actually met with their advisor and they told me the same thing (best out of the 50+ locations). I was pretty interested in going there until I saw samples of student work. At that point I saw good bye and went somewhere else.

I'm not saying AI of Vegas is crap, I don't live there so I can't speak for it. Just be wary that AI is crafty with words and check to see if you can't look at their instructors portfolios and past student works. Never hurts.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
AI is a for-profit institution... meaning these programs are run as a business, not as a student-focused educational institution... take that into consideration as you are looking over their materials and talking to their recruiters...

I agree with jbyun04 that these schools are not known for stellar students or great portfolios. For many of these programs, the only requirement for admission is the ability to pay your tuition.

These schools have high placement rates because they are primarily teaching technical skills... while 94% of students may get jobs right out of school, the bigger question is are they succeeding in the industry over time?... In my experience many of these students "wash out" of the industry, stay in dead end jobs, or wind up continuing their education at another school after a few years.

Vegas is a tough market, as you have 3 for-profit schools competing there... Another option is UNLV, which has a NASAD accredited Fine arts program with a concentration in Graphic Design.

If you are looking for a more professional degree in GD, you will have to look a bit farther afield. There are several strong programs in LA, for example.

iguess25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Like what programs in LA??

I seen santa monica community college looked stronged?
Judging by the text on the site.

AI is a for-profit institution... meaning these programs are run as a business, not as a student-focused educational institution... take that into consideration as you are looking over their materials and talking to their recruiters...

I agree with jbyun04 that these schools are not known for stellar students or great portfolios. For many of these programs, the only requirement for admission is the ability to pay your tuition.

These schools have high placement rates because they are primarily teaching technical skills... while 94% of students may get jobs right out of school, the bigger question is are they succeeding in the industry over time?... In my experience many of these students "wash out" of the industry, stay in dead end jobs, or wind up continuing their education at another school after a few years.

Vegas is a tough market, as you have 3 for-profit schools competing there... Another option is UNLV, which has a NASAD accredited Fine arts program with a concentration in Graphic Design.

If you are looking for a more professional degree in GD, you will have to look a bit farther afield. There are several strong programs in LA, for example.

iguess25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
thanks lucidmedia, ill check em.

Art Center College of Design
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts)
Otis College of Art and Design

These are three Design schools that have a national reputation.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i dealt with ai in the past. basically asked them to provide me with some info on their school. after a week their recruiters started spamming my email, trying to get me into their school. the general idea i got about them after doing my own research is that they aren't really into quality, but rather quantity.

if you want to learn graphic design, then just pick up a few books on things like color theory, how to use adobe and similar applications, typography, and print production. you don't really need to go to school to learn graphic design. if you're already creative, then going to school will do nothing other than make a dent in your wallet, since many art schools are extremely overpriced. if you're not creative, then all you'll learn out of it is how to arrange text and compose files for print.

rafflesiao

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
students winning awards

always sound to check up on their past graduates achievements and even talk to their lecturers. the quality of each lecturer can vary...

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Would it actually be possible to meet with instructors in Graphic Design schools?

Yes. In many programs faculty meetings are considered one of the best ways to improve admissions and retention. Talk to admissions and they would probably be happy to put you in touch with the department head or department liaison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.