Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Embraer

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Is the activation process completed in store or is there a requirement to sync your iphone to itunes to activate it? I have an unlocked iPhone4 and travel a great deal stateside. I do travel with a laptop but the Mac that I sync my phone to for music and apps is a MacMini which I don't plan lugging around

abhi104

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
INDIA
Prepaid AT&T connection works on IPHONE

I went to At&t store asked them for a prepaid card with new number that would work with any unlocked GSM phone, got a prepaid card with $25 of airtime (total I paid=$32, didnt buy the go phone...just a simcard & $25 worth of airtime), came home, inserted the sim into unlocked nokia phone, made a test call. Cut the sim into micro sim & inserted it into IPhone 4, and it worked. I can now Dial & Receive calls through my IPhone 4!!

At&t Reps will always say that prepaid connection won't work with IPhone's & neither they will provide you with micro sim. I did request but they refused.

But this works flawlessly!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is the activation process completed in store or is there a requirement to sync your iphone to itunes to activate it? I have an unlocked iPhone4 and travel a great deal stateside. I do travel with a laptop but the Mac that I sync my phone to for music and apps is a MacMini which I don't plan lugging around

No you dont need to sync anything if you got an unlocked iphone.
All you do is stick the simcard in.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I was thinking that you could say you bought a used ipad 3g that came without the sim. Then you should get a unactivated micro-sim that you should be able to activate as gophone. Yes?

Hellafornia

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
my girlfriend gifted me her upgrade, should i activate the iphone4 with her original upgraded line on itunes first then take the micro sim out and put in my trimmed pay as you go sim will that work? also that will leave her line "sim-less" so can i call att to have them reactivate her old sim? being that the micro sim with her number on it will be rendered useless because i'll be using the iphone 4, help please the iphone is on its way and im just trying to have this go smoothly, thanks group

jRight

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Here's my delima.

I have been using a iPhone Gen1 with the att goPhone pick your plan since 08. with the $20 unlimited data (Grandfathered).

Said Gen1 iPhone finally died on me this past weekend. The question is can I move my already active iphone gophone account to the iPhone 4. If so. What do I need to do.

Should I just cancel the plan?

Thanks in Advance.

kidd708

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Help Help

Here is my dilemena I had a go phone and i went to ATT to get a new sim they gave it to me and place my number on the car but when I place the cut sim in my Iphone 4 it says no service. It that card attached to my old go phone?

abitagirl

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Is cutting a gophone sim necessary? I'm a little bit hesitant to cut my gophone sim to fit it into the iPhone 4... If it is necessary can someone at the at&t store help me with it?

mz100

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
I just got done with this entire process, I am using a Prepaid plan on my iPhone 4!
Background info
Got phone at 4.01. Used tiny umbrella to update my phone to 4.1 while keeping my baseband on 1.59.00

Jailbroke phone using greenpois0n, installed ultrasn0w and unlocked phone.

I knew it was unlocked because i used a trimmed T-Mobile sim and that worked fine for 2 months.

What I did

I live in Chicago but go to school in Bloomington, IN, I wanted to order and test a sim to make sure I got service down there and that it would work. I ordered an unactivated go phone AT&T sim off of eBay for $3.
Trimmed it and popped it into my iPhone 4 and got 5 bars and it read the sim card, because it said "AT&T".

I got to Chicago, went to AT&T and asked to activate a prepaid Sim card, and told them I don't have the phone with me because it has not come in yet. They activated the sim card and handed it to me. I got home and trimmed it, and unfortunetly cut it too small. Everytime I put it in the iPhone it said no sim. However when I would put my T-Mobile sim in the phone it would give me one bar, indicating that it recognizes a sim card. (I am not sure as to whether or not the Sim from AT&T was not the right size or not working on the iPhone though)

Luckily I still had the old AT&T sim card from Bloomington with me. So I called AT&T customer support and asked them to transfer my prepaid plan from the New one to my old unactivated sim, I told them it was damaged. I gave them the ICCID of the unactivated old sim, and it only took 2 minutes to transfer over. I popped it into my iPhone made a test call and it works perfectly.

So for anyone who is having trouble, I would consider ordering an unactivated AT&T go phone from eBay, and try transferring your plan over, it only costs $3
I can now text/call on my iPhone 4 using AT&T prepaid.

mz100

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
Is cutting a gophone sim necessary? I'm a little bit hesitant to cut my gophone sim to fit it into the iPhone 4... If it is necessary can someone at the at&t store help me with it?

AT&T will not sell you a Microsim, I called and their response was, they are only for the iPhone 4's.
I am sure you can buy an AT&T microsim off of eBay, but I don't know if you can use your prepaid plan on their, who knows?

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
If you do this can you keep your old number? Or do they give you a random number when they activate the Gophone SIM? I'm on a post paid iPhone plan right now, but I rarely use my minutes. I'm sick of paying 40 bucks for something I don't use.

EspressoQueen

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
Dallas, TX
Y'all Are The Greatest!

Hey there, I can CONFIRM THIS SIM CARD WORKS WITH THE IPHONE 4. Every iPhone I had, I always got off ebay or Craigslist and activated it with a go phone sim card. Rule of thought, "Don not buy a go phone package from walmart, radioshack or where ever. The reason being is that the sim card that comes with that package will be locked to that specific phone/device.

Buy the micro sim card off of ebay from that seller and follow the directions at the bottom of the listing. Then pop the micro sim card into the your iP4 and it'll work. I bought one of these from him like a week ago and it's perfect it also arrived really quick.

One thing though is that you have to change the APN settings to cingigular to get 3G to work but that's easy in itself. Just be in a wifi spot and on the phone go to:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Then select Cingular from the drop down list for your 3G service and click save. And you'll have 3G service, granted if you selected to buy the 3g data service feature. That APN site will also install a weblink. It's a pretty cool feature because it can also install a fake APN setting that way you don't use all your data up that quick. And then when you want to use the 3g service again just click the cingular option again and that's it.

I posted some pics of the APN setting that Iwas talking about

I've had a gophone for several years and recently got an iPhone 3gs from my sister when she upgraded to iP4. I just stuck my gophone sim in, synced it and the phone was immediately usable. I used the unlockit link a few minutes ago and VOILA! I now have 3g data!! :p I only want it for when wifi isn't available and it's important to get online. I appreciate how MR members help each other so selflessly. Thank you! ;)

eman006

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Does this still work today?

Hey there, I can CONFIRM THIS SIM CARD WORKS WITH THE IPHONE 4. Every iPhone I had, I always got off ebay or Craigslist and activated it with a go phone sim card. Rule of thought, "Don not buy a go phone package from walmart, radioshack or where ever. The reason being is that the sim card that comes with that package will be locked to that specific phone/device.

Buy the micro sim card off of ebay from that seller and follow the directions at the bottom of the listing. Then pop the micro sim card into the your iP4 and it'll work. I bought one of these from him like a week ago and it's perfect it also arrived really quick.

One thing though is that you have to change the APN settings to cingigular to get 3G to work but that's easy in itself. Just be in a wifi spot and on the phone go to:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

Then select Cingular from the drop down list for your 3G service and click save. And you'll have 3G service, granted if you selected to buy the 3g data service feature. That APN site will also install a weblink. It's a pretty cool feature because it can also install a fake APN setting that way you don't use all your data up that quick. And then when you want to use the 3g service again just click the cingular option again and that's it.

I posted some pics of the APN setting that Iwas talking about

Can anyone confirm that his still works with AT&T Go Phone plan? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
So I tried this when I was visiting the U.S. but ran into problems. Please help based on my experience below:
1. Since got phone in Korea, had carrier (KT) unlock the phone.
2. Got unused GoPhone SIM via eBay and registered with no problem (using IMEI # of all 1's)
3. Inserted GoPhone SIM into IP4 and it could not find the AT&T signal.
4. Took out and re-inserted SIM but got "SIM Failure" message.
5. Repeated every combination of restarting phone, ejecting and inserting SIM but still received same "SIM Failure" message.
6. Exchanged SIM at AT&T and cut down to micro-size. Same "SIM failure" message.

Was I supposed to sync to iTunes with the GoPhone SIM card inserted?
Any advice / help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

furby3

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
You don't need a fake APN in iOS 4 and above

apn.jpg

tgcken

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I can confirm that this does indeed still work with PayGO. Ive been on paygo for about 5 months with a pantech link. Last night I went to AT&T and asked for a microsim card. The guy said the only phone they have that uses microsim was iphone 4.

I told him that is what I wanted it for, and he gave me the microsim card for free. I left, purchased a used iphone 4, and put the microsim in. I called AT&T and had them transfer my account from my old sim card (regular sized) to the new one that was in my iphone4. They also changed the phone associated with my account to the iphone4. The phone call took 30 minutes.

I had to use unlockit.co.nz to get data to work.

eman006

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Can anyone confirm that his still works with AT&T Go Phone plan? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
So I tried this when I was visiting the U.S. but ran into problems. Please help based on my experience below:
1. Since got phone in Korea, had carrier (KT) unlock the phone.
2. Got unused GoPhone SIM via eBay and registered with no problem (using IMEI # of all 1's)
3. Inserted GoPhone SIM into IP4 and it could not find the AT&T signal.
4. Took out and re-inserted SIM but got "SIM Failure" message.
5. Repeated every combination of restarting phone, ejecting and inserting SIM but still received same "SIM Failure" message.
6. Exchanged SIM at AT&T and cut down to micro-size. Same "SIM failure" message.

Was I supposed to sync to iTunes with the GoPhone SIM card inserted?
Any advice / help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

So just an update on my experience. Just to answer my own question above, I went ahead and synched my iphone with the AT&T GoPhone SIM in it and it seemed to do the trick since it showed a "No Service" at the top where the signal indicator is versus the "SIM Failure" pop-up message. Of course, since I'm not in the U.S. at this time, I am not able to connect to the AT&T network (thus, the "No Service" message). I will need to wait for my next trip to the U.S. in order to test it out. My GoPhone number will expire in December based on the AT&T service rep, so the clock is ticking for me to be able to test it out.
Hope my experience helps someone out in the future.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
Sorry to dig up an older thread but I was wondering if anyone had a link to a full tutorial on how to set up an iPhone 4 to be prepaid. I see bits and pieces across the web, but I have yet to find a full tutorial. I just want to be sure everything works out before I go out and buy everything. Thanks everyone!

Also, can I just walk into an AT&T store and ask for a Micro Sim? Will they provide it for free?

furby3

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
I don't know of a tutorial but his thread may help.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/865931/

Go to Post 120 on Page 5 and read from there.

New SIM runs you about $15.

Also there is no reason to do the gophone phone and swap the SIM to iphone route any longer. You can walk in with the iphone and say sign me up for gophone smartphone now. They don't advertise it but now that they have the smartphone plans it is allowed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.