Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
My poor head is all frazzled over this new term (for me that is). I've had a Jailbroken iDevice now for a few years, and this is the first time that I've heard of 'Baseband' and to be honest, I'm not entirely... sure what it refers to.

I know where to go, within the iDevice to find the version?! My Baseband is 02.10.04. I'm curious though, what exactly does this mean for me?! My iPhone4 is with Bell. My phone is 'unlocked' to my understanding (that I can put any SIM card into the phone and it'll work on their network...here in Canada that is. Bell/Rogers/Telus).

So - What exactly does this Baseband mean?! Should I be worried or concerned with it? Will my version hinder future Updates to newer firmwares, and/or downgrade to previous?!

I'm just trying to get an understand about waht it is... and how it affects my device!

I appreciate your help in advanced. I tried going through the forum posts, but I found myself lost in a bunch of different definitions.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Baseband is the modem software version. The software which controls the modem.

The relevance for you is whether you can do a software unlock.

It sounds like you have what's called a factory unlock.

If you have ever installed ultrasn0w, then baseband is relevant, otherwise it is not.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Baseband is the modem software version. The software which controls the modem.

The relevance for you is whether you can do a software unlock.

It sounds like you have what's called a factory unlock.

If you have ever installed ultrasn0w, then baseband is relevant, otherwise it is not.

Ya... I'm fairly certain I have a factory unlock - which is the case for all iPhone4's here in Canada.

I used LimeRa1n... does that matter?

BTW - thx for the reply!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ya... I'm fairly certain I have a factory unlock - which is the case for all iPhone4's here in Canada.

That is not the case for all iphones in Canada.
Unless you bought it from an Apple store and paid full price without a contract then yes its probably factory unlocked.
If you bought it from a carriers store then its locked to that wireless provider.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Unless you bought it from an Apple store and paid full price without a contract then yes its probably factory unlocked.
If you bought it from a carriers store then its locked to that wireless provider.

LOL goes to show you what I dont know! Alrite, so I am on a plan for 3 years. Will I need to be conscienous of what Baseband I have,... ?!

For example. If I do use one of those 'none' offical jailbreaks... what does do that I would need to be worried about.

Im just really trying to get a grasp of what this whole baseband thing is. I appreciate your help! I really do!

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If all you want is a jailbreak, baseband means nothing to you :)
If you're jailbreaking because you need it to unlock your phone, or you think you might move carriers later, then you'll need to know what baseband is.

My 2c.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
If you're jailbreaking because you need it to unlock your phone, or you think you might move carriers later, then you'll need to know what baseband is.

My 2c.

Thank you so much Beau! that's pretty much what I Wanted to know. I have no desire to switch my provider as I've been with them for nearly 7 years now... and their service is amazing here in the EastCoastCanada - so.. That answers my question!

:)

Thx, you've been a great help!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

My 2c.

Exactly.
If you dont plan to unlock your iphone to use on other GSM carriers then you dont need to worry about the baseband.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement

That's not necessarily true, there are providers who will unlock handsets for free. My provider in Australia is one such provider. I suspect there are other providers in Canada who might do the same. Alternatively, an iPhone that was defective and issued by Apple will likely be factory unlocked.

The OP's suggestion that s/he can insert any sim and the phone works seems to indicate to me that it is unlocked. The BB being on 02.10.04 indicates that this ought not to be an ultrasn0w unlock.

To OP:

Do not confuse jailbreaking with unlocking. They are two related, but different concepts.

Jailbreaking provides you the ability to install tweaks and otherwise customise your phone. You have used limera1n to achieve this.

Unlocking is concerned with allowing your phone to bypass being tied to a specific carrier. In the USA, there is only one official carrier - AT&T, and so all iPhones are locked to AT&T; they will not work with any other carrier's SIM. However people have hacked the baseband and unlocked the iPhone in USA and therefore there are people who are using an iPhone without being a customer of AT&T.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
That's not necessarily true, there are providers who will unlock handsets for free. My provider in Australia is one such provider. I suspect there are other providers in Canada who might do the same. Alternatively, an iPhone that was defective and issued by Apple will likely be factory unlocked.

The OP's suggestion that s/he can insert any sim and the phone works seems to indicate to me that it is unlocked. The BB being on 02.10.04 indicates that this ought not to be an ultrasn0w unlock.

In Canada they will not unlock it untill the contract has been fulfilled.
Not sure what the OP meant with any sim will work cause obviously she didnt purchase the phone from Apple for full price but rather with a 3 year term. How providers operate in Australia is different and will vary by country and company so keep that in mind also.
Again, depending in what country and Apple store you get your phone replaced the refurbs will NOT be factory unlocked. Correct your assumptions.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.

To OP:

Do not confuse jailbreaking with unlocking. They are two related, but different concepts.

Jailbreaking provides you the ability to install tweaks and otherwise customise your phone. You have used limera1n to achieve this.

Unlocking is concerned with allowing your phone to bypass being tied to a specific carrier. In the USA, there is only one official carrier - AT&T, and so all iPhones are locked to AT&T; they will not work with any other carrier's SIM. However people have hacked the baseband and unlocked the iPhone in USA and therefore there are people who are using an iPhone without being a customer of AT&T.

What a great reply! Thanks so much! And... my iPhone4 is ACTUALLY a replacement phone from Apple, as the first one I got from my Carrier had the big GREEN BLOB issue with the Camera.

Alrite.. well I've heard of Unlocking and Jailbreaking (JB which Im familiar which, not so much unlocking) but then again, I've had no reason/use for unlocking!

Right on - thx a lot mate for your reply! You just added some more knowledge to the pot!

Cheers!

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Not sure what the OP meant with any sim will work cause obviously she didnt purchase the phone from Apple for full price but rather with a 3 year term. How providers operate in Australia is different and will vary by country and company so keep that in mind also.
Again, depending in what country and Apple store you get your phone replaced the refurbs will NOT be factory unlocked. Correct your assumptions.
and Im a guy ;)

So... How come this works, or does it work for anyone!? Im able to take my Sim Card out, and place it in my friends LG phone, and it works like a charm. Same with his phone... he can take his Rogers SIM from his LG, place it in my iPhone4 and it works?!

Again - Im not 100% familiar with all of this year - but I very much appreciate your input! THX! :D

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement

Fair enough, I ought to have been clearer in respect of the differences that will appear between Canada and Australia.

Not sure what the OP meant with any sim will work cause obviously she didnt purchase the phone from Apple for full price but rather with a 3 year term.

Well I suppose we haev the answer to this now.

Surely in a country where there are multiple carriers, it would be a strange practice that the refurbed phones are not factory unlocked. I can understand that in America, the refurbed phones remained locked to AT&T, but in other countries (well at least those where there exists more than one carrier), it would appear somewhat silly to issue locked phones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
and Im a guy ;)

So... How come this works, or does it work for anyone!? Im able to take my Sim Card out, and place it in my friends LG phone, and it works like a charm. Same with his phone... he can take his Rogers SIM from his LG, place it in my iPhone4 and it works?!

Again - Im not 100% familiar with all of this year - but I very much appreciate your input! THX! :D

Sorry about that bro, thought you were a female.
Your friend took out his rogers sim from his LG phone, he then cut it down to microsim size and it worked on your iphone 4?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Surely in a country where there are multiple carriers, it would be a strange practice that the refurbed phones are not factory unlocked. I can understand that in America, the refurbed phones remained locked to AT&T, but in other countries (well at least those where there exists more than one carrier), it would appear somewhat silly to issue locked phones.

Its not silly, the way the system works is by transfering your devices properties/carrier lock or unlock from the serial number onto the new refurb replacement given.
If you iphone is locked to a carrier the replacement you will receive that replaces your old iphone will also be locked to the same provider.
If it worked the way you said then everyone with a US iphone will try to get their iphone replaced in other countries outside the US to get a factory unlocked iphone.
Even people that travel to the US with factory unlocked iphones and get a replacement in the US when the new serial number is input into their system and the old phone was unlocked the new US replacement is also factory unlocked.
So they do have protocols in place for situations like that and not all replacements given are unlocked cause there's more than one carrier in a particular country.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Sorry about that bro, thought you were a female.
Your friend took out his rogers sim, he then cut it down to microsim size and it worked on your iphone 4?

Actually to be honest - IM NOT entirely sure.. but That rings a bell. I recall him saying his was too long?!?!? and then he trimmed it? ya ya.. Im fairly certain that was the case...

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
If you iphone is locked to a carrier the replacement you will receive that replaces your old iphone will also be locked to the same provider.
If it worked the way you said then everyone with a US iphone will try to get their iphone replaced in other countries outside the US to get a factory unlocked iphone.

I thought that the iPhone warranty wasn't international?

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
ok, if you say so:D
And after he trimmed it how did it work again with his LG?

LOL! he 'taped' it in place cause... it would slide if he caused too much motion on the device. It was his idea... I tried to tell him it WOULDNT work, but he was determined to prove me wrong, which.. he did and got a case of beer out of it. lol

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
LOL! he 'taped' it in place cause... it would slide if he caused too much motion on the device. It was his idea... I tried to tell him it WOULDNT work, but he was determined to prove me wrong, which.. he did and got a case of beer out of it. lol

Now that's a story to tell at the pub.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Lol :D
And Im George Bush:D

I thought that the iPhone warranty wasn't international?

Recently the changed it and iphones can be serviced/replaced at Apple stores in other countries.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Good to meet you too eh:D

LOL @ Eh

Ya... First... when I had the Green Blob Issue.. I had the phone replaced under the factory warranty, and at the same time, I purchased the AppleCare for 2 years... so.. my phone is pretty much covered till the day it dies. This is my first iPhone, so its pretty stellar.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I just thought of a nother question...

If I were to upgrade to 4.2.1... Jailbreak (tethered... or whenever the untethered comes out)... Will I be able to restore at any point to a refresh factory setting so that all traces of the JB will be gone?

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.