Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I had Apple replace my phone recently and I now have one of the 'tamper proof' screws on the bottom instead of a phillips head. Where can I buy the tool to remove this new screw? I've searched online and I have a feeling a lot of people are linking to the wrong tool. Any help is appreciated!

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I had Apple replace my phone recently and I now have one of the 'tamper proof' screws on the bottom instead of a phillips head. Where can I buy the tool to remove this new screw? I've searched online and I have a feeling a lot of people are linking to the wrong tool. Any help is appreciated!

If you are talking about the enw iPhone 4 screws that have 5 lobes, then you will need a screwdriver listed here. I bought mine from this seller and it is a perfect match for the new iPhone 4 screws. Shipping took 3 weeks.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Home Depot, Sears, iFixit or Amazon.
I got my Torx's screwdrivers from Home Depot

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
If you are talking about the enw iPhone 4 screws that have 5 lobes, then you will need a screwdriver listed here. I bought mine from this seller and it is a perfect match for the new iPhone 4 screws. Shipping took 3 weeks.

That is exactly what I am looking for! To get the 5 lobed screw off the bottom of the phone. The versions that Lowes sells are not nearly small enough for this particular kind of screw.

Thanks for the link!

xtrem

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
That kit does NOT fit the i4 with new pentagram screws. It ships with a torx (6 star) screw driver that does not fit..

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
I think sears may be your best bet as far as national retailers go. Maybe even radio shack?

Sometimes you can find tool sets for electronics that come with very small screwdrivers/torx drivers etc. I found one at harbor freight but i don't think the torx drivers it came with would fit a screw that small. the size you want to look for is probably in the T1-T6 range for a torx screw that small.

This looks like it should work http://www.amazon.com/Boxer-Pcs-4mm-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B000FGQ1G6/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.