Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I've not seen either problem, Netflix and iTunes stream in HQ and startup quickly (both within a few seconds). Sounds like a bandwidth problem at your end.

oh...so since it doesnt happen to you, it must be on his end. is that in your technical opinion, doctor?

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
i had the exact same problem. it affected itunes streams and hulu streams on my ipad/iphone. coincedentally enough when checking speedtest, the server i connected to throttled bandwidth after about 4pm. i went nuts for about a month thinking my ISP was throttling bandwidth after 5. i bought a docsis 3.0 modem hoping the bonded channel tech would fix it, had a service call, reset the airport, turned off wireless and connected via ethernet. nothing. finally on a whim i changed the DNS to my ISP's DNS and everything was perfect.

strange though, i've had google DNS since it was announced and it was only in the past 6 months that streaming services went wonky.

Quick question. I am not familiar with google dns. What exactly is that?

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Given that the two are priced the same, you're basically getting all the video features thrown in for free then.

And also given that it's a completely new product (i.e., neither the old AppleTV nor the Airport Express) it's reasonable that you should assume some bumps along the way to it successfully replacing either. All first versions of products have issues and they are invariably ironed out within the span of a few software updates.

In short, hang in there for the updates.
Here are a few things off the top of my head that are wrong with Apple TV. You try and tell me these are acceptable out of the box, and that I really should just "wait for an update and quit whining."

1) Setting up more than one account is a nightmare. In order to get my wife's machine recognized by the ATV, I had to: sign her out of her iTunes account, sign her in with my account, connect her machine to the ATV, log her out of my account, then log her back into her own.

2) Shows/movies I watch on my ATV are not flagged as watched on my iTunes.

3) I can't start watching a show/movie while its still downloading, even though I can do this on iTunes.

4) Has to be woken from sleep by activating the remote.

I refuse to drink the cool aid on this one. This device came with a lot of promises and thus far has been an utter disappointment. You can disagree with me if you like, but that doesn't give you the right to insult me.

Last edited:

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
what does DNS have to do with it? it's just a lookup for name to IP translation

Netflix performance will depend on whether your ISP peers with Level 3 Networks or not

the use of google's dns servers is documented as causing problems for streaming of hulu, netflix and itunes. some of these are more technically indepth, some are simply anecdotal

http://www.hypersensory.com/content...owness-sony-tv-sonicwall-and-network-sniffing
http://discussions.info.apple.com/t...t.com/2010/07/google-public-dns-and-hulu.html

Quick question. I am not familiar with google dns. What exactly is that?

most people use the DNS servers provided by their ISP. there are a few services like openDNS and google that allow you to replace your ISP's DNS with theirs, ostensibly to speed up your internet access and increase security. unfortunately it seems google's intent of speeding up DNS doesn't work as well in practice.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Here are a few things off the top of my head that are wrong with Apple TV. You try and tell me these are acceptable out of the box, and that I really should just "wait for an update and quit whining."

1) Setting up more than one account is a nightmare. In order to get my wife's machine recognized by the ATV, I had to: sign her out of her iTunes account, sign her in with my account, connect her machine to the ATV, log her out of my account, then log her back into her own.

2) Shows/movies I watch on my ATV are not flagged as watched on my iTunes.

3) I can't start watching a show/movie while its still downloading, even though I can do this on iTunes.

4) Has to be woken from sleep by activating the remote.

I refuse to drink the cool aid on this one. This device came with a lot of promises and thus far has been an utter disappointment. You can disagree with me if you like, but that doesn't give you the right to insult me.

1. This is completely false. All you have to do is enable Home Sharing on the Apple TV and ALL iTunes accounts on your network show up automatically on the Apple TV. This simply couldn't be easier. You probably didn't use one account for Home Sharing while leaving everyone logged into their own iTunes accounts like you are supposed to do.

2. Wrong again. Shows/movies watched on the ATV are indeed marked as watched in iTunes. There was an initial bug where it wasn't always marked but that was corrected in the update from weeks ago.

3. More incorrect information. You can start any streaming content almost immediately if you have the bandwidth. In my case with a 6mbps DSL connection iTunes HD rentals start in about 5 seconds usually and never more than about 10 seconds. I don't have to wait for them to download. You have some type of issue but that is certainly not how it works for the rest of us nor obviously how it is designed to work as you seem to imply here.

4. I'm not sure what you're getting at here. How else are you supposed to wake it from sleep? And I'm wondering why you would sleep the thing anyway since it uses only 2 watts when actively streaming video and obviously less than that when idle. By comparison, the average DVR uses about 30 watts when on standby/off and idle. This little device is very energy efficient to the point where I have set it to never sleep.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
1. This is completely false. All you have to do is enable Home Sharing on the Apple TV and ALL iTunes accounts on your network show up automatically on the Apple TV. This simply couldn't be easier. You probably didn't use one account for Home Sharing while leaving everyone logged into their own iTunes accounts like you are supposed to do.
WHat do you mean by "one account for home sharing"? My wife and I have separate iTunes accounts. We both had home sharing turned on. The ATV would not recognize her computer under the computers list no matter what I did. When I googled the issue, I found lots of people having the same issue, and followed the solution I wrote earlier.
2. Wrong again. Shows/movies watched on the ATV are indeed marked as watched in iTunes. There was an initial bug where it wasn't always marked but that was corrected in the update from weeks ago.
Maybe in your universe, not in mine. Nothing I watch on my ATV is ever flagged as watched in iTunes, and I just watched Walking Dead the other day, and I had to flag it as watched. Maybe this latest update fixes that.
3. More incorrect information. You can start any streaming content almost immediately if you have the bandwidth. In my case with a 6mbps DSL connection iTunes HD rentals start in about 5 seconds usually and never more than about 10 seconds. I don't have to wait for them to download. You have some type of issue but that is certainly not how it works for the rest of us nor obviously how it is designed to work as you seem to imply here.
You must have a spy camera in my house to be able to tell me so accurately what's happening here. I have a very high speed line and can watch downloading shows in iTunes almost immediately. I never get the option to watch a downloading show on my ATV. It simply doesn't show up untilt he download is complete.
4. I'm not sure what you're getting at here. How else are you supposed to wake it from sleep? And I'm wondering why you would sleep the thing anyway since it uses only 2 watts when actively streaming video and obviously less than that when idle. By comparison, the average DVR uses about 30 watts when on standby/off and idle. This little device is very energy efficient to the point where I have set it to never sleep.
My AE woke up immediately upon targeting it from iTunes. Maybe that means it was never asleep.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Early on, lots of people didn't really understand how home sharing works so let me try to explain...

Only one username and password should be used for all computers that want to Homeshare when enabling Home Sharing on each computer. So for example your wife needs to use your username and password when enabling home sharing on her computer and you need to add yours as well. Keep in mind that it doesn't change anything about her own iTunes account and her computer stays logged into her own iTunes account, not yours. That's what people don't seem to understand. She would still make purchases under her own iTunes account this way and everything else works exactly like it always has.

She would lose nothing that comes with having your own personal iTunes account because that part never changes. Home Sharing is effectively something entirely different. Basically the Home Sharing username and password is something like a master account that is only used to authorize computers to share between each other and to Apple TVs.

Again, you probably didn't set it up that way which is why her iTunes library didn't show up along with yours on the Apple TV so that either one could be accessed without requiring any logging in or out. I already had mine setup when Apple first added Home Sharing to iTunes 9 a year or so ago. When the Apple TV2 came out, all I had to do was enable home sharing on it and BAM! all the iTunes libraries in the family automagically appeared on the Apple TV.

Last edited:

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

newagemac said:

That report as well as others reported at the time were wrong. Netflix definitely does not stream 1080p to the PS3. If you read the Netflix press release, they only mentioned they would now be sending 5.1 audio to the PS3. Netflix didn't mention a single thing about 1080p or even 1080i. Do you really think Netflix wouldn't have mentioned that they are now streaming 1080p as well? Of course not. That's because they are still only sending 720p to all devices including the PS3.

What really happened was a bit of ingenious and somewhat deceptive marketing on the part of Sony on their PS3 Blog. They are not getting 1080p streams from Netflix to the PS3. They are just taking the same 720p streams and upscaling them to 1080p for 1080p capable TVs. But that means nothing really because all 1080p capable HDTVs already upscale all 720p material to 1080p.

You're still getting the same quality and same bitrate streamed from Netflix to the PS3 as you do to the Apple TV and other Netflix devices. People have tried and not been able to find a single 1080p title from Netflix on the PS3. I can't either on my PS3. Can you?

In other words, Sony suckered a whole lot of people.

So, link?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Early on, lots of people didn't really understand how home sharing works so let me try to explain...

Only one username and password should be used for all computers that want to Homeshare when enabling Home Sharing on each computer. So for example your wife needs to use your username and password when enabling home sharing on her computer and you need to add yours as well. Keep in mind that it doesn't change anything about her own iTunes account and her computer stays logged into her own iTunes account, not yours. That's what people don't seem to understand. She would still make purchases under her own iTunes account this way and everything else works exactly like it always has.

She would lose nothing that comes with having your own personal iTunes account because that part never changes. Home Sharing is effectively something entirely different. Basically the Home Sharing username and password is something like a master account that is only used to authorize computers to share between each other and to Apple TVs.

Again, you probably didn't set it up that way which is why her iTunes library didn't show up along with yours on the Apple TV so that either one could be accessed without requiring any logging in or out. I already had mine setup when Apple first added Home Sharing to iTunes 9 a year or so ago. When the Apple TV2 came out, all I had to do was enable home sharing on it and BAM! all the iTunes libraries in the family automagically appeared on the Apple TV.
Cool, I completely misunderstood how this works.

Bookmarked for future reference! :D

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So, link?

Netflix's Press Release:

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=372

Sony's PS3 Blog Announcement:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/

You will notice that Netflix's announcement was only about 5.1 audio and not a single thing about increasing the quality of their streams or adding 1080p. That would be huge news but not a single announcement from Netflix on either their blog or their press release page about it.

Also, in February of this year, Netflix corrected an earlier report and confirmed that 1080p was not on their roadmap for 2010 but that 5.1 surround and closed captioning would be coming by the end of the year which is exactly what happened.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

In this day and age of blogging, there is very little investigative journalism anymore. Sites like the one you posted earlier just took Sony at face value and sure enough other sites just reposted the information as usual.

Again, I and many other PS3 owners can confirm that not a single Netflix title is available on the PS3 in 1080p. Please provide just one title, if you are so adamant that it is true in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Netflix's Press Release:

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=372

Sony's PS3 Blog Announcement:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/

You will notice that Netflix's announcement was only about 5.1 audio and not a single thing about increasing the quality of their streams or adding 1080p. That would be huge news but not a single announcement from Netflix on either their blog or their press release page about it.

Also, in February of this year, Netflix corrected an earlier report and confirmed that 1080p was not on their roadmap for 2010 but that 5.1 surround and closed captioning would be coming by the end of the year which is exactly what happened.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

In this day and age of blogging, there is very little investigative journalism anymore. Sites like the one you posted earlier just took Sony at face value and sure enough other sites just reposted the information as usual.

Again, I and many other PS3 owners can confirm that not a single Netflix title is available on the PS3 in 1080p. Please provide just one title, if you are so adamant that it is true in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

You need to calm down. I'm not adamant about anything. I made two posts, one with a link I found, and one requesting links from you. If anyone is being adamant here, it's you. I honestly don't care whether or not it's true that Netflix on PS3 does 1080p. If it's not, and you provide the information to back that up, I'm fine with that.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You need to calm down. I'm not adamant about anything. I made two posts, one with a link I found, and one requesting links from you. If anyone is being adamant here, it's you. I honestly don't care whether or not it's true that Netflix on PS3 does 1080p. If it's not, and you provide the information to back that up, I'm fine with that.

Sorry that I came off a little strong. It's just that recently I was going back and forth with a guy who kept insisting that Netflix is sending 1080p to the PS3 based on a similar article like the one you posted which referred to Sony's Blog with the deceptive words about 1080p.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sorry that I came off a little strong. It's just that recently I was going back and forth with a guy who kept insisting that Netflix is sending 1080p to the PS3 based on a similar article like the one you posted which referred to Sony's Blog with the deceptive words about 1080p.

It's cool. This happens on Macrumors ;)

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
audio airplay still doesn't work at all for me. video works just fine, in the apps it's supported. frustrating. there is a running thread at apple support with no solutions other than reboot. That hasn't worked, nor has a full reinstall of iOS on both devices.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
We just got a PS3 for Christmas and, for the life of me, I can't imagine how Sony could imply they support 1080p from Netflix when they don't even have 802.11n support in the latest crop of PS3s...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.