Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impossiblyfree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
I'm looking for a way to connect an apple tv 2 to a monitor without built in speakers or audio outs. I think I can get the video out via an hdmi-dvi connection, but am hoping to export the sound via optical toslink to 3.5mm stereo cable.

i know it can work from a mac to a receiver but would it work the opposite way too? can you go digital to 3.5mm without a converter?

not so worried about sound quality as opposed to being able to hear to do it on the cheap.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
3.5mm as in a headphone jack? In that case, no. 3.5mm TRS connectors are all analog. The Apple TV 2 does not output anything in analog, only digital.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm looking for a way to connect an apple tv 2 to a monitor without built in speakers or audio outs. I think I can get the video out via an hdmi-dvi connection, but am hoping to export the sound via optical toslink to 3.5mm stereo cable.

i know it can work from a mac to a receiver but would it work the opposite way too? can you go digital to 3.5mm without a converter?

not so worried about sound quality as opposed to being able to hear to do it on the cheap.

I think you will need an adapter like this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.