Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleib2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
My Ipod touch got a little moist after I ran with it. It was only moist for ten twenty minutes. When I took it out of my pocket it stopped recognizing my touch. I rebooted and nothing. It delays like it knows I'm trying to swipe it but then nothing. All of the buttons are recognized i.e., home button, turn off button and volume button. Not really sure what to do and of course no warranty, HELP!! Thanks

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
For one, you should have turned it off INSTANTLY. Put it in a bag of dry white rice and let it sit for a day or so. Hopefully it becomes responsive again. I could probably throw my iPhone 4 in a fish tank while it's off, then take it out, put it in a bag of rice for 3-4 days and turn it on and it would work just fine, but if I threw it in a fish tank, then turned it on, it would fry the circuit board and I'd be S.O.L.

Moral of the story, turn the dang thing off and put it in some rice. If you don't have any, go get some. No guarantees, but it's the only solution you have right now, and for the love of god, stop rebooting the thing, you're giving it more and more chances to completely short circuit.

aleib2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah, it won't recognize touch so I couldn't turn it off or on. When I removed it from my pocket it was on and playing music. I attempted several times to turn off without success. Is there another way to shut if off without touching the screen?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You probably did some hardware water damage to it.
You can try turning it off and leaving it in rice for a few days and hope it dries up and starts working but you might be stuck with some permanent damage of some components.

aleib2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
I would love to turn it off but it just won't recognize my touch. It currently is letting me move the arrow a few inches, but not the full swipe. Again it has NEVER turned off during this incident and I cannot turn it off even in it's current condition. I will obviously let it sit because I can't do much else. I suppose we shall see. If anyone else has any idea let me know. Thank again to all those trying to help!

AlyGranger

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
continue to hold the sleep button. its just like the power button on a laptop. if you hold it long enough it'll turn off.

That will bring up a screen that tells you to "swipe to power off"

My ipod is having the same problem (minus the water part) and there is no way to turn it off. I can't even remove the battery. All I could do was reset it (factory reset) which accomplished nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.