Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I managed to figure out how to get free calls alone with just the talkatone.. Was so happy I could click my heels. I was able to dial out and receive calls using my google number. I decided to see if I can get them(texting and calling from the same number) to work together by the helpful little search that I found. Anywho, now talkatone isnt working, but I can get my text to work directly.. ARGGGGGHHHH. The whole point of this was so i didnt have to use two seperate numbers for calls and texting. Maybe I'm missing something.. this is the link from the article I followed

http://hackingmanual.net/free-iphone-callingantexting/. Shed some light perhaps...:mad:

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I am using both because google apps alone wont allow free calling. Just free texts. So I recently did was log out of it, and the talkatone worked. So its either free texts or free calls. I mean I can get them both but I'd have two separate numbers.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I am using both because google apps alone wont allow free calling. Just free texts. So I recently did was log out of it, and the talkatone worked. So its either free texts or free calls. I mean I can get them both but I'd have two separate numbers.

Ok so you don't have the 1400 minute plan that allows you a-list?

It's an even wash even if you bump up to a-list for the cost of $20 and you get unltd calling because you can cancel your text plan.

What is the best thing about google voice is you don't need a wifi or 3G connection to make and receive calls. I don't think it's VoIP. GV is extremely reliable compared to VoIP.

Talkatone call quality isn't like using google voice app maybe because it's VoIP.

Is talkatone VoIP?

Last edited:

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Ok so you don't have the 1400 minute plan that allows you a-list?

It's an even wash even if you bump up to a-list for the cost of $20 and you get unltd calling because you can cancel your text plan.

What is the best thing about google voice is you don't need a wifi or 3G connection to make and receive calls. I don't think it's VoIP. GV is extremely reliable compared to VoIP.

Is talkatone VoIP?

yes. check it out. It's in the app store, pretty cool, and clear for a voip. No, I don't have that plan, I have the lowest plan. I don't need that many minutes, but I'm certainly not going to pay out the wazoo for the occasional blah blah blah blah convo's with the bestie from time to time.
And no GV is not a voip. So really and trully there's no major advantage for myself.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
yes. check it out. It's in the app store, pretty cool, and clear for a voip. No, I don't have that plan, I have the lowest plan. I don't need that many minutes, but I'm certainly not going to pay out the wazoo for the occasional blah blah blah blah convo's with the bestie from time to time.
And no GV is not a voip. So really and trully there's no major advantage for myself.

I understand sorry. We have the 1400 minute plan cause we have 5 lines. Anyone who has had the 1400 minute plan it makes sense to use google voice app especially because it's not VoIP. I don't like VoIP for mobile because it only works if you are sitting still especially if you are passenger in a car or something.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
This is my setup until it's all integrated into one nice package:

Talkatone - send and receive Google Voice calls over Wi-Fi and 3G
TextNow - send and receive Google Voice texts over Wi-Fi and 3G

You can configure TextNow to send SMS through their app, and texts received will be forwarded to an email address @textnow.me, which will push notify in TextNow.

I changed the call forwarding on Google Voice to go to my Gmail account, which then rings my Talkatone app.

No Google Voice app, no GV Mobile, no GV Connect. No using the Messages app, for that matter, and no text messaging plan needed. Lastly, the Phone app is solely for my iPhone number.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
This is my setup until it's all integrated into one nice package:

Talkatone - send and receive Google Voice calls over Wi-Fi and 3G
TextNow - send and receive Google Voice texts over Wi-Fi and 3G

You can configure TextNow to send SMS through their app, and texts received will be forwarded to an email address @textnow.me, which will push notify in TextNow.

I changed the call forwarding on Google Voice to go to my Gmail account, which then rings my Talkatone app.

No Google Voice app, no GV Mobile, no GV Connect. No using the Messages app, for that matter, and no text messaging plan needed. Lastly, the Phone app is solely for my iPhone number.

How are you finding consistency and quality of calls with 3G and wifi? When I was testing talkatone I was on a bus and made a call via 3G it wasn't consistent and call quality wasn't consistent. I had to hang up and call via att. Since testing google voice app I haven't experienced this issue cause I think with this means it's using a cell tower and it's not VoIP.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
@beyondthetech
My eyes glazed over a bit. Lol. So what your saying is your number (the one that came with the plan) is the number that gets called? Right now I am using talkatone and this other app, I'm sorry I forgot the name but they both use my google voice number. I get mms messages from another app. Are you using one number for everything?

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
@beyondthetech
My eyes glazed over a bit. Lol. So what your saying is your number (the one that came with the plan) is the number that gets called? Right now I am using talkatone and this other app, I'm sorry I forgot the name but they both use my google voice number. I get mms messages from another app. Are you using one number for everything?

So really and truly I use my google number for texts and calls, while mms gets sent viA another app. So in total it's three apps that I need. Btw it's called infinite SMS and. Messagey lite

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I just set up Talkatone, and so far I am far less than impressed with the call quality. I'm on Wifi at home (just ran a speed test 14 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up, 95 ms ping) and I called my wife's cell and it sounded terrible. I could barely hear her (actually I couldn't hear her at all during the first call I made). It's good to know that this may just be a fluke based on what others here are saying, because so far I have little faith in this service.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I just set up Talkatone, and so far I am far less than impressed with the call quality. I'm on Wifi at home (just ran a speed test 14 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up, 95 ms ping) and I called my wife's cell and it sounded terrible. I could barely hear her (actually I couldn't hear her at all during the first call I made). It's good to know that this may just be a fluke based on what others here are saying, because so far I have little faith in this service.

I only made one phone call so far, so I cant praise it as yet. But so far the quality was good. Hey, I have rollover. Lol. Get back to me in a month and then I can give s full analysis. Happy trails.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

I did the same a couple hours ago with talkatone and google voice app.

Although with the google voice app it calls you back call quality via cellular is better than VoIP. Only if you have the 1400 minute plan this works.

Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I only made one phone call so far, so I cant praise it as yet. But so far the quality was good. Hey, I have rollover. Lol. Get back to me in a month and then I can give s full analysis. Happy trails.

Yeah, I have about 4,000 rollover minutes, the only reason it stopped growing was because I've hit the point where I'm letting the same number expire as I'm gaining every month. I use less than half of my 450 minutes every month, but I'm always looking to play with this sort of thing.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Yeah, I have about 4,000 rollover minutes, the only reason it stopped growing was because I've hit the point where I'm letting the same number expire as I'm gaining every month. I use less than half of my 450 minutes every month, but I'm always looking to play with this sort of thing.

Wait. The rollover minutes expire? I think I remember reading about that years ago when I was thinking about joining. So what's the story with that ? Roll over last in the first year?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I've had great luck making very long (over an hour) work related calls on speakerphone via talkatone. The calls were necessary, but I didn't want to use my minutes.

I look forward to using this quite a bit more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.