Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
Dear all,

a 3gs on iOS 3 was working perfectly, then suddenly crashed (whilst playing a game, not plugged into a computer).

in system profiler in DFU mode it shows as (xx replaced by me):

Product ID: 0x1227
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 0.00
Serial Number: CPID:xxx CPRV:xx CPFM:xx SCEP:xx BDID:xx ECID:xxxxxxxxxxxxx SRTG:[iBoot-359.3.2]
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x26210000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

iTunes detects it in recovery mode, and asks to restore (with 4.2.1). If I go ahead, all is well until the iPhone displays the apple logo and update status bar, at which point it crashes with iTunes displaying error 40. I have tried updating in recovery and DFU mode.

checking the the update log I see it ends with:

AppleNANDLegacyFTL::start: AND init failed
NAND driver status = failed
NAND driver status indicates failure

i have also tried using iRecovery to alter the auto-boot. iRestore reports:

[NAND] Found Chip ID 0x29D5D7EC3841 on FMI0:CE0
[NAND] Found Chip ID 0x29D5D7EC3841 on FMI0:CE1
[NAND] Found Chip ID 0x29D5D7EC3841 on FMI1:CE8
[NAND] Found Chip ID 0x29D5D7EC3841 on FMI1:CE9

and ends:

[VFL:ERR] VFL_ReadBBTwCS:0)(line 1355) fail!
[WMR:ERR] VFL_Open failed
WMR_BEEP
NAND FTL failed initialisation

I'm completely at a loss now what to do next. Does anyone have any advise?

Many thanks,

Darren

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
The biggest problem I usually see with this is that people don't actually get it in DFU mode. DFU mode will have a completely black screen after the Apple flashes on for a few seconds.

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
pretty sure I have tried to restore in DFU mode - system profiler reads Mobile Device (DFU mode) and screen is black. Just to confirm all I need to do is have it in DFU mode and then click restore in iTunes, just as is it was in recovery mode? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ndheah

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Green Bay, WI
pretty sure I have tried to restore in DFU mode - system profiler reads Mobile Device (DFU mode) and screen is black. Just to confirm all I need to do is have it in DFU mode and then click restore in iTunes, just as is it was in recovery mode? Thanks for your help.

Similar issue - not having much luck fixing this...

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
Just tried again on a different machine with a different cable, and still no luck (both in recovery and DFU mode). Always reports iTunes error 40 just as the progress bar starts to move on the iPhone during restore. Not had much luck googling error 40. Nearly entirely out of ideas now - am leaving it on charge and will try it with a full charge to see if that helps - clutching at straws there though.

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
Error 40 could be a hardware issue from what I was finding on the web. Most people couldn't get their iPhone out if it.

Really I've come to the same conclusion, as I have tried everything I can find on the web. Was hoping for a flash of inspiration on here, but looks like it is time to give up. Thanks to those who stopped to help, much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.