Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScaryMerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
North Carolina
I got my Oberon iPad cover today! There doesn't appear to be a thorough review of it on here , so I guess I'll write one! (These photos are mostly true to color, though a little bright due to flash.)

First impressions- so preeeeeeettyyyyyy. There are 15 different designs available for iPad covers, and mine is the one called "Tree of Life" in the color "Saddle".

Front.jpg

BackOpen.jpg

Back.jpg

Beautiful, right? And it smells fantastic (though of course it does, it is leather, after all). The cover is tooled masterfully, creating a surface that’s both hard and soft; hard in the places with hills and leaves, and soft along the spine where the tree trunk’s smooth. The leather is stiff, which is a good thing. I dare not drop my iPad, but I have the feeling that if I did, my baby would emerge from the incident relatively unscathed. The bungee and pewter button closure system is solid, keeping the cover tightly closed.

Button.jpg

The iPad is secured inside with four corners straps, three of leather and one a military-grade elastic bungee, and it is very tight.

Open.jpg

I did the shake test over my couch, and no matter how hard I tried, my iPad wouldn’t budge. I actually like this corner system a lot more in person than I thought I would. To those concerned, none of the straps cover up any of the buttons/ports/speakers. Perhaps a third of one of the end speaker holes is obscured, but it doesn’t affect the sound in any way. There's also a piece of wool sewn into the inside cover opposite the iPad for extra screen protection. There are pockets on the inside covers as well that hold removable plastic inserts for extra stability and protection. It definitely adds some weight to the iPad, but not too much for the way I use the device, either on a table or in my lap. It makes it feel like a solid old book.

As for the various positions the stand offers, I’ll start with the typing position. I love the typing angle on this case. Much better than any of the other cases I’ve tried, and it works beautifully on both tables and on my lap.

Typing1.jpg

SideMeasure.jpg

The Oberon iPad case also offers landscape and portrait standing positions. There’s a string mechanism that hooks around the back to hold the case in the proper position:

String1.jpg

String2.jpg

String3.jpg

It’s pretty solid, both in landscape:
Landscape.jpg

And in portrait:
Portrait.jpg

This case was $130, and honestly, the cost is the only negative I have for it. I feel like $100 would be a better price, but other than that, I’m pleased as punch. I suppose since this is a handmade genuine leather case, the price isn't too bad...

Anyway, apparently Oberon sends a complementary charm with each of its products, and most owners of their Kindle covers attach them to the bungee that holds the cover closed to make it easier to open. I opted instead to attach it to the standing position string. I really like it that way because it makes it look like a bookmark, though if you don’t like the string, it can be pushed inside one of the side pockets that hold the plastic inserts. Oberon also sends two extra bungees in case something should happen to the one that holds the case closed or the one that serves as fourth corner (there's a video on the company's website that explains how to replace them).

Charm.jpg

http://www.oberondesign.com/iPad.php

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
A beautiful case. The bulk seems minimal and I like it. Better quality and design than Alano for sure. Very tempting! :D Do you know or can you measure out its weight and thickness of the leather? Actually, I got rid of portenzo immediately I tried it on once and felt the extra weight and bulk of bamboo despite of its looks.

Last edited:

ScaryMerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
North Carolina
A beautiful case. The bulk seems minimal and I like it. Better quality and design than Alano for sure. Very tempting! :D Do you know or can you measure out its weight and thickness of the leather? Actually, I got rid of portenzo immediately I tried it on once and felt the extra weight and bulk of bamboo case.

I don't have a scale on hand, but by estimate, the cover weighs about half of what the iPad weighs. It does add some bulk, but I feel like there's no way to adequately protect the iPad without adding some sort of weight. In the least, it looks gorgeous. On the Kindle forums- Oberon is really popular with the hardcore Kindle crowd- there are a lot of people who say that they've dropped their Kindle on concrete and tile and it wasn't hurt at all in its Oberon case.

If you're wanting something totally lightweight, than this isn't for you. If you're set on having a leather cover like I was, and want something beautiful, well-made, and protective, then this is definitely the case for you. I too considered the Alano, but as both the Portenzo cases and the Oberon cases had excellent reviews and nearly an identical price, I decided to choose based upon aesthetics. If I'm paying over a hundred dollars on a leather case, then it had better be beyond beautiful (and I am satisfied).

Most likely, I will end up getting a Portenzo as well when they release a new design that I really like (I'm so vain- I demand that my stuff look pretty). I'll post a review of it whenever that day comes.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
I don't have a scale on hand, but by estimate, the cover weighs about half of what the iPad weighs. It does add some bulk, but I feel like there's no way to adequately protect the iPad without adding some sort of weight. In the least, it looks gorgeous. On the Kindle forums- Oberon is really popular with the hardcore Kindle crowd- there are a lot of people who say that they've dropped their Kindle on concrete and tile and it wasn't hurt at all in its Oberon case.

If you're wanting something totally lightweight, than this isn't for you. If you're set on having a leather cover like I was, and want something beautiful, well-made, and protective, then this is definitely the case for you. I too considered the Alano, but as both the Portenzo cases and the Oberon cases had excellent reviews and nearly an identical price, I decided to choose based upon aesthetics. If I'm paying over a hundred dollars on a leather case, then it had better be beyond beautiful (and I am satisfied).

Most likely, I will end up getting a Portenzo as well when they release a new design that I really like (I'm so vain- I demand that my stuff look pretty). I'll post a review of it whenever that day comes.

Thanks for your review and feedback with respect to portenzo. I've test drove plethora of cases ever since iPad was first released and it turned out, for me, I like my iPad naked. A plain and simple solution. But if I have to get a folio style case, Oberon is definitely a candidate next to Alano.

ScaryMerry

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for your review and feedback with respect to portenzo. I've test drove plethora of cases ever since iPad was first released and it turned out, for me, I like my iPad naked. A plain and simple solution. But if I have to get a folio style case, Oberon is definitely a candidate next to Alano.

You're a braver soul than me. I'm too overprotective of my baby to let it be a nudist. :p

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I think that cases is not my type but I'm happy you like it. I remember seeing you in the Portenzo tread debating. I chose Portenzo though and love it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.