Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What movie have you seen and more importantly was it any good? :)

Watched Shutter Island, a psychological thriller. It just did not click for me. Without giving the story away, it took a turn I did not expect, which is not necessarily bad, but the execution was below my expectations.

On the other hand we just finished up the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the umpteenth time. You don't see epics like this very often. :)

If you ever wondered how they made 6' tall actors hobbit size, besides using short doubles for long shots, this is another method- forced perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlxpnRxDJs

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just got done watching Salt with angelina jolie. Good flick. Not award winning, but entertaining flick.

Also watched predators. That surprised me how good it was.

Now the redbox is really out of movies and I am scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just got done watching Salt with angelina jolie. Good flick. Not award winning, but entertaining flick.

Also watched predators. That surprised me how good it was.

How would you compare Salt with "Wanted"?

I think I have been discouraged with every AvP movie since the original Predator (which was excellent) and every Alien movie since Aliens. I guess I'd be willing to rent it. :)

I just watched 30 Days of Night. I think if you guys liked John Carpenter's the Thing, you'd dig this one.

I am a huge fan of The Thing. I'll check it out, hopefully I can stream it via Netflicks.

Reactions: kToni73

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Watching old seasons of Psych on Netflix. Quite a bit lighter than Monk, and perhaps a bit less inspired, but more fun.

Malsi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2009
St. Louis, MO
It's not really a movie. It's the entire third season of Avatar: The last Airbender. I made the mistake of watching M. Night shaywmatchucallits version. I'm trying to erase the memory of it. Hopefully.

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
In the past 3 days I have watched:

Christmas Vacation (x2)
Vegas Vacation
Die Hard
Elf
Jingle All the Way
Santa Claus
Bad Santa (x2)

Try as I may, I am still not in the Christmas Spirit. And, all of these are good.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
How would you compare Salt with "Wanted"

Pretty similar, but the action parts weren't as unbelievable to me. I found Wanted fun to watch, but completely unbelievable.

I would call Salt in the same vein as The Bourne series. It's as if Jason Bourne was female.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am watching Die Hard, which is perhaps the best Christmas movie ever made in the history of humankind.

"Ho Ho Ho, Now I have a machine gun!" Yes, this fills me with the Christmas spirit. :p

In the past 3 days I have watched:

Christmas Vacation (x2)
Vegas Vacation
Die Hard
Elf
Jingle All the Way
Santa Claus
Bad Santa (x2)

Try as I may, I am still not in the Christmas Spirit. And, all of these are good.

You missed the best: It's a Wonderful Life, although if you are down, it may not help... Hope you are feeling better and hopeful.

Reactions: compwiz1202

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Ok, ok, subjective, but it has actually given me hives. :p

It might just be James Stewart's worst acting performance.

I blame Frank Capra!!!!!! :mad:

What?! It's A Wonderful Life is a classic. Loved that movie. What was wrong with Jimmy Stewart's performance?

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The other day I watched It's Complicated, which was better than I expected. Meryl Streep and Steve Martin were especially good together.

After watching it in the theater a few months ago, I just bought The Kids Are All Right. Honestly, I can't recommend this film enough.

iTunes currently has a sale on Pixar movies, and I'm trying to decide between Up and Ratatouille. I've seen Up only once, but Ratatouille I've seen many times, but I like both and can't decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.