Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I just got a new wireless keyboard and mouse for my IMac G5 PowerPC. I am realizing now that my IMac does not have built in bluetooth capability (bought at end of 2004). If I am wireless with an airport extreme card, shouldn't the mouse and keyboard work?? I have read about adding a bluetooth module plug-in. Is this what I will have to do and any recommendations on what kind? Any advice would be appreciated..apple site not much help for my "ancient" hardware....

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Yes you must get a Bluetooth dongle or apple Bluetooth card.
You will also needto be running leopard and itsupdates to use the magic mouse.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
some wireless kb & mouse combos are bluetooth and some not.

those that are bluetooth i think occasionally came with a bluetooth dongle - especially in the earlier days when inbuilt bluetooth was unusual.

those that are other forms of wireless come with a usb dongle.

so to answer your question you'd need to provide more info.

you might also find some uselful info on the kb/mouse manufacturer web page.

in terms of adding bluetooth to your 2004 imac - i'm not sure if thats possible.

if it were me i'd consider returning them both if they're bluetooth with no dongle and changing them for non bluetooth versions with a usb dongle - then you'll be sorted.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Your Airport Extreme doesn't have anything to do with a wireless mouse/keyboard.

If it's an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, those are Bluetooth.

What model/ghz is your iMac? Bluetooth was optional on the first generation G5 iMac's, but it looks like it was standard on the following generations.

Go to your System Preferences panel and look for Bluetooth. If it's listed, you have it. You still need to turn it on and pair the mouse and keyboard with the iMac to get them to work. The iMac won't identify them without you putting it in discovery mode. You can do that by clicking on the Bluetooth symbol on the System Preferences page and then click the little + on the lower left to add a device. Your iMac should start searching for a Bluetooth device to connect to. Make sure your mouse or keyboard is turned on and follow the on screen instructions to pair them with the iMac.

If your wireless mouse and keyboard are just regular wireless (infrared or rhf), they should have come with a USB dongle, which you can plug into the iMac and they'll work. But I suspect that since you are posting here you have a Bluetooth combo.

Apple did make a Bluetooth card for that iMac, but we need the model number/ghz to figure out which card it would take. I'm not certain if a simple Bluetooth USB dongle will work on your iMac. Those can be found dirt cheap, so it might be worth trying ($2-3 on eBay).

Last edited:

sarac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Your Airport Extreme doesn't have anything to do with a wireless mouse/keyboard.

If it's an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, those are Bluetooth.

What model/ghz is your iMac? Bluetooth was optional on the first generation G5 iMac's, but it looks like it was standard on the following generations.

Go to your System Preferences panel and look for Bluetooth. If it's listed, you have it. You still need to turn it on and pair the mouse and keyboard with the iMac to get them to work. The iMac won't identify them without you putting it in discovery mode. You can do that by clicking on the Bluetooth symbol on the System Preferences page and then click the little + on the lower left to add a device. Your iMac should start searching for a Bluetooth device to connect to. Make sure your mouse or keyboard is turned on and follow the on screen instructions to pair them with the iMac.

If your wireless mouse and keyboard are just regular wireless (infrared or rhf), they should have come with a USB dongle, which you can plug into the iMac and they'll work. But I suspect that since you are posting here you have a Bluetooth combo.

Apple did make a Bluetooth card for that iMac, but we need the model number/ghz to figure out which card it would take. I'm not certain if a simple Bluetooth USB dongle will work on your iMac. Those can be found dirt cheap, so it might be worth trying ($2-3 on eBay).

Here is info on my mac: 1.8GHz PowerPc G5 - No bluetooth on my Preference panel under mouse or keyboard. Thanks for your help..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.