Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
Is there such hack or "app" available to prevent my phone being turned off when its locked?

Seems so simple but cannot find it anywhere!

Thanks!

Mr Mot

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Seems no one understands your question mate, I do but I have no suggestions. Sorry.

The OP means, is there an app' that prevents the phone from being powered off (rather than standby).
I presume so that "find my iPhone" cannot be avoided if his iPhone was to be lost and found or plain old stolen.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Seems no one understands your question mate, I do but I have no suggestions. Sorry.

The OP means, is there an app' that prevents the phone from being powered off (rather than standby).
I presume so that "find my iPhone" cannot be avoided if his iPhone was to be lost and found or plain old stolen.

:D I am surprise how people don't understand such simple statement.

lock screen dim delay
OP didn't say screen dim delay, did he? He said, "prevent my phone being turned off".

the phone doesn't turn off when it's locked...
He is not asking if it'll turn off when it's locked. He is asking an app to PREVENT the phone to be turned off!

I would like an app like this too. It's a good way to locate theft.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I have absolutely no clue what the OP is talking about.

When you say 'phone', do you mean your iPhone or your phone app?

When you say 'turned off', do you mean standby or completely powered off?

Also I'm going to disagree with both the posters on top of me. He said is there a way to prevent the phone from being powered off when it's locked. If you lock an iPhone, that means its still powered on.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I have absolutely no clue what the OP is talking about.

When you say 'phone', do you mean your iPhone or your phone app?

When you say 'turned off', do you mean standby or completely powered off?

Also I'm going to disagree with both the posters on top of me. He said is there a way to prevent the phone from being powered off when it's locked. If you lock an iPhone, that means its still powered on.

He said "my phone". Of cause it means his iPhone. If he wanted to say phone app then he would say phone app right?

When he say turn off it means turning off the phone. You know the button on top of your iphone? Press the hold it? If he means standby than he would say standby rather than turn off right?

Learn how to read.

xavierpunkreno

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
Really people? He just wants to know if there's something that will prevent his screen from turning off when he presses the lock button. He just wants it to return to the lock screen and that's it.

Mr Mot

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Jeez, there's a lack of intellect and common sense in this thread!

OP wants his iPhone (device, not app') powered on with an app' that prevents it from being turned off (powered down - long hold power button, slide to power off)

I'm sure if there isn't an app' for this, one could be made but surely it'd always be overruled by holding both the power button and the home button for a force restart?

Munzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010

Spot on mate! Sorry for the confusion!

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Another way to put it...he wants an app that requires you to unlock (as in lock screen, not another carrier) the phone before you can turn it off

i.e. if you have to insert your four digit lock code, then it cannot be turned off until those four digits have been entered

Soccer1725

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2007
@Bandolier

True, although the iLocalis method isn't cut and dry either. If you click "prevent power down iphone" the phone can still be turned off by either SBSettings or holding down the home and lock button (hard reset). If you use iLocalis to lock the iphone, not just pushing the sleep button but actually locking the phone, you can still do the hard reset but the phone will turn back on. The only downside to that is that it just displays LOCKED on the screed and the thief knows what's going on. All in all I like the iLocalis program and its features. Very good.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I will ignore everything everyone said above, and re-word what he means....

IF you have a passcode lock, and let's say your phone gets stolen. If you have find my iphone activated, you can find it....HOWEVER, all the thief has to do is turn the phone off so the OP can't track it......

Soooooo, is there an add-on/tweak that makes it so you need a passcode to turn off the phone OR you can only turn it off when it is NOT on the lock screen

c'mon guys....life isn't that tough to figure out

my answer: I've been wondering the same thing, hopefully someone will take this post with a grain of sugar and suggest something :eek:

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I'm sure if there isn't an app' for this, one could be made but surely it'd always be overruled by holding both the power button and the home button for a force restart?

Not sure it could be done, it all depends on the API's apple provides to developers, and i'm quit sure that is not permitted. The power and home buttons prevail over any Apps' code.

chaoskun

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
had to revive this, sorry. so it's now 2012, do we have that app yet? my phone was stolen and "Find My iPhone" was rendered useless because the thief powered off the phone. arghh

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
had to revive this, sorry. so it's now 2012, do we have that app yet? my phone was stolen and "Find My iPhone" was rendered useless because the thief powered off the phone. arghh

NoPowerDown
It removes the slide to power off option thus not allowing anyone to power it down.
A thief could still pop out the sim though if its a GSM iphone.

----------

There's also these packages but I havent tried them yet.
TurnOffButton.
Powerguard also puts a pin lock on your phone so in order to turn it off you need the correct passcode.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
NoPowerDown
It removes the slide to power off option thus not allowing anyone to power it down.

----------

TurnOffButton.
Powerguard also puts a pin lock on your phone so in order to turn it off you need the correct passcode.

I have powerguard and works fine

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Powerguard didn't work well when it was first released a couple of weeks ago. In fact, it was impossible to get pass the default password screen.
I deleted it but due to this thread activated it again and success!

It is now fixed and works effortlessly and tirelessly to assist in preventing theft.
I would recommend it!

TheAppleCraze

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
NoPowerDown

----------

TurnOffButton.
I'm sorry but I just want to find out, whether all of these apps require the jailbreak in order to use? Because apparently, I can't seem to find any of them in the app store...

miroesq

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
Further Protection

This is a little off topic but certainly pertinent to the thread.

Powerguard works great to prevent your phone from being shut off, assuming you don't have SBSettings installed and have locked down Cydia and other "critical" programs with something like iProtect.

Issue is that the thief could always hard reset the iPhone and remove their fingers just as the screen turns off so as to not reboot the phone again. Are there any programs that will allow for a forced reboot if the iPhone is hard reset?

Also I do not use a passcode on my phone as I can always lock it using an SMS Command or Find My iPhone once it is stolen, but in between discovering that it has been stolen and sending that command, is there a program that will automatically turn on the passcode feature if the iPhone is rebooted? This would allow a program such as ICaughtU Pro to start logging the thief's activities right away if he tries to hard reset the phone.

Of course there is only so much that you can do to stop a determined thief as they could always wipe out the iPhone by restoring it, but I believe these are attainable features that could really be helpful in recovering a stolen iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.