Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I am a bit confused.

I have the iPad Kindle App, and have purchased many books fom Amazon.com's Kindle store, and they sync perfectly with my iPad, but I don't seem to be able to purcase newspapers from their Kindle store.

If I try, it just comes up with a message saying:

we currently do not show a device registered to your Amazon account for which this content is available

However, i can purchase books without a problem, and if I go to the "manage your Kindle" section in my amazon account, my iPad is listed in the registered devices, but only in the

Your Computer and Other Mobile Device(s)

But not in the

Your Kindle(s) section. All there is there is a space for a 16 digit serial number.

So, how come my book purchases go OK to my iPad, but not newspapers?

Does the newspaper Kindle section only work for official Kindles, and not the Kindle App?

Has anyone successfully subscribed to a newspaper and gets it delivered to their iPad Kindle App?

Many thanks,
Kevin

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Kindle apps don't handle newspapers and magazines yet (except for the android kindle app which does).

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Ah, well at least that explains that then...I've been trying for days to try and get it to work, obviously to no avail.

Is there a plan to introduce newspaper support into the iPad Kindle app in the (near) future?

Thanks for the help.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
That's sucks! I'm surprised with Pressreader's 1700 that they're missing some.

And it's a major newspaper too. Philadelphia Daily News.

I have requested both PressDisplay and the Philadelphia DN publishers to make it available to PressReader but all they said was that they would look into it.

Strangely though, the publishers also publish The Phialdelphia Inquirer, and that is avaiable on Pressreader.

That's why getting a newspaper friendly version of Kindle App for the iPad would be very nice for me, as it is only $5.99/month via Kindle compared to $9.95/month for the Philadelphia Inquirer on Pressreader.

Oh, and I do subscribe to The Inquirer via Pressreader. I just wanted a different slant (especially on the sports coverage), and was perfectly happy to pay $6 for it on top on my Inquirer sub.

Shoechick

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
You'd think seeing as it's already digital (if it's sold through Kindle) that they'd make it widely available. Hopefully they'll see the light.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I was surprised to see my paper, News and Observer not offered on Kindle for iPad but thanks to whomever mentioned press reader, I'm going to check it out.

Shoechick

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Too bad that PressReader doesn't offer the $9.99 for 31 downloads a month anymore. I only read one paper a day and am not paying $30 for that. Right now I only download the weekend paper for .99 cents.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Too bad that PressReader doesn't offer the $9.99 for 31 downloads a month anymore. I only read one paper a day and am not paying $30 for that. Right now I only download the weekend paper for .99 cents.

Could I suggest that you e-mail the guy directly...you may be pleasantly surprised :D

When I decided to take out my PR sub, the $9.95 economy account had been discontinued, but I said that I only wanted a PR account for one daily newspaper and it wasn't viable for me to spend $30/month for a single newspaper, and I asked if there was any chance that he could make an exception and set me up with an economy account.

Next day, he replied, and said that although the economy account doesn't exist anymore, he would set my account up for it, and I have been paying $9.95/month ever since...and very happy I am with it too.

The guy I dealt with was Chris Trolliet, and I would say that it is certainly worth a quick, polite e-mail to him.

Good luck,
Kevin.

ipadrocks

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010

Yes, too bad that plan is no longer advertised. But if you ask for it specifically you can still get it for a limited time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.