Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys,

I've been using my new iPhone 4 for about 3 days now and thought I would test out the 3G today (been using WiFi which also tends to get slow, I've read some discussions on the Apple discussion forum stating that 4.2.1 is to blame but for now those problems have gone away)

Anyhow, whilst connect via 3G the Internet is quite slow, rarely it's quite fast loading up pages quickly however just now I was trying to load macrumors.com and it took a good 2-3 minutes, sometimes its blazing fast and sometimes it fails to load with the Safari message stating that it coudlnt find a server. This is the same for quite a few websites I visit (news.bbc.co.uk, thestudentroom.com, ebay.co.uk)

It is the same with FaceBook and Youtube. Both can be very intermittent. Sometimes I do not receive any FaceBook notifcations, last night my YouTube videos kept stopping.

I've also read a few discussions again on the Apple discussion forum however these seem to be quite dated, from around June/July 2010.

I've had a case since day one and am using one right now. The iPhone is on a wooden table and all i press is go.

Is this a faulty unit?

Thanks

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
i would suggest check with your network provider, before assuming its a faulty device.

How should I? Should I perhaps get another iPhone on the same network as me (O2) and test them side by side?

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
i would call O2 and explain the problem to them, they may be able to diagnose the issue, it may be that your account is not set up correctly for the iPhone Data or something.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update

Just got off the Phone too O2. According to them, everything is ok with my account etc. Ran multiple tests, turning of 3G, resetting phone/network settings etc however this was to no avail.

Any other ideas? Anyone else experience this???? :confused:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
well if there was nothing O2 could do, then maybe you do have a faulty unit.

personally though i would wait 24 hours and keep checking it, you never know, there may be something in your area that happens to be interfering with the signal at the moment, if you have the ability, maybe you should try what you suggested earlier, of trying a different sim/phone on the same network and if possible different networks, that way you may be able to determine if this is true before replacing it and finding out you're getting the same problem.

good luck

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
well if there was nothing O2 could do, then maybe you do have a faulty unit.

personally though i would wait 24 hours and keep checking it, you never know, there may be something in your area that happens to be interfering with the signal at the moment, if you have the ability, maybe you should try what you suggested earlier, of trying a different sim/phone on the same network and if possible different networks, that way you may be able to determine if this is true before replacing it and finding out you're getting the same problem.

good luck

Will do. I shall provide an update tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Change your cellular data apn to these:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: bypass
Password: leave it the same (password).

this is assuming your o2 Uk an pay monthly... Their idata apn is awful slow, I can get up to 5.5mb/s on the above settings and it's noticeably faster. O2 won't tell you about this tho!

Ps, yes this apn is covered by your free data as it's an official o2 access point, it's just not the iPhone specific one :)

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Swc, o2 by default put all their mobile data thru their proxy server which has a big effect on speed, the details I give above simply bypass this proxy giving you direct access and much quicker speeds :)

itsourjan

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
THANK YOU MyRomeo

Thank you MyRomeo, your advice has worked a charm. Whoopieeeeeeeee! I've been struggling with 3G ever since getting my iPhone 4 (which by the way I absolutely LOVE to bits) but due to not being able to use my phone from work I never really needed 3G as I always connected to the Internet via my home wi-fi.

Anyway enough of my waffle, for those like myself who didn't know where to change of APN settings on the iPhone 4 here's the route:

From the main screen of your iPhone tap Settings > General > Network

Tap Mobile Data Network

For Pay & Go customers.
Tap APN and change idata.o2.co.uk and enter payandgo.o2.co.uk (Please note that "o2" needs to be written with a letter "o" and not a zero)

For Pay Monthly customers.
Tap APN and change idata.o2.co.uk and enter mobile.o2.co.uk (Please note that "o2" needs to be written with a letter "o" and not a zero)

You don't need to change your username and password

If you're not using an iPhone ignore the Visual Voicemail APN box - it's not available to Pay & Go customers or Pay Monthly customers (with a non iPhone tariff)

Under MMS

For Pay & Go customers.
Tap APN and change idata.o2.co.uk and enter payandgo.o2.co.uk (Please note that o2 needs to be written with a letter o and not a zero)

For Pay Monthly customers.
Tap APN and change idata.o2.co.uk and enter wap.o2.co.uk (Please note that o2 needs to be written with a letter o and not a zero)

You don't need to change your username and password

Turn your iPhone off and on again

These are the iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 updated settings :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.