Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DynoMike3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
I don't usually buy extended warranties in general, but is it worth it in your experiences to get extra apple care?

What about One on One? I've had Mac's for years, so I am guessing no.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
If you plan to keep the machine for 3 years, then you should get AppleCare. The way apple machines are built, if anything serious goes wrong, it usually costs a lot more than the price of AppleCare to fix it. I have used it a few times with different machines. I am a big fan of AppleCare now.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Applecare definitely...

With the price tag on most Apple gear it's better to ensure that your computers will run for 3 years (makes the cost bearable and usually the computers still is very usable by the end of the 3 years).

I've had to exchange 2 MacBook Pro under Applecare guaranty (one after 8 month and the other after 2 years) so I really recommend it (plus if you end up needing a replacement machine they'll send you the current generation ;) )

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
apple care doesn't have to be bought at the time of purchase. You can get it any time before your 1st year is up. Makes it a little easier on the wallet, no?

Personally, I've never bought it, but I would consider it on certain machines like the mba where I can't get in there and fix it myself.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I've never gotten Apple Care and I don't regret it one bit. Have I had problems? Sure- but nothing I could not fix myself for a lot less than I would have paid for Apple Care. For example, the super drive on my G5 died a year after I bought it (right about the time the one year warranty expired). I replaced it for $30. If you're comfortable working inside computers- laptops and desktops, I would not bother with it.

One to One used to be worth it when they offered a wider range of classes- not so much anymore.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Apple does not offer this product to lose money. Evaluate it like any other decision to purchase insurance. Most people do not come out ahead when they purchase insurance, including AppleCare, but a few do.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
One to one is more or less a personal shopping advisor while AppleCare is insurance for your computer.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
AppleCare.
They did about $1100 in repairs to my machine (which I would have had to pay without AppleCare) and eventually replaced it with a brand new one.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
One to one is more or less a personal shopping advisor

no...not quite.

One on one is personal help with your apple product on any number of subjects and projects.

It one on one tech help for hardware and software.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I don't have it on my MBP, iPad or iPhone 4, mainly because I don't intend on keeping them long enough (apart from the MBP), and it would cost a bomb. I'm sure in the future I will regret it, but right now, I have the extra cash in my pocket, and can use it on other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.