Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whick one do you like better

• Original U2 iPod 4G (Black and Red)

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Modified U2 iPod 4G (Black, Gray and White)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello,
I have just received a iPod U2 (4G, Mono)with a broken clickwheel
I brought it into a iRepair store to see if they could fix it, Luckily they would.
They said they would do it but the clickwheel would have to be the standard light-gray one from the basic iPod 4G model. (I asked them if they could try to remove the red and black plasic from the clickwheel and put it onto a working one :Not sure if this is possible but if possible they might do: )
It is now 2 days later and now they say that the Hard Drive and battery need to be replaced ($70 for both) and they are still not sure about the clickwheel needing to be replaced because they haven't dug that far into the iPod yet (I will spend up to $140 to get this iPod fixed due to it being limited edition)

I have done a quick mock-up of the difference between the original U2 iPod to the one with the standard clickwheel (what do you think about how it looks)

Attachments

• ipod_u2_ed frnt.png
    ipod_u2_ed frnt.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 51574162.jpg
    51574162.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 109

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I think the white/grey wheel looks fine but I don't see the logic in spending even $70 to fix a 20gb iPod. I bought an 80gb iPod classic for $100 a few months ago, and with that you get a smaller form factor, color screen, ability to play movies, etc. But if you're that invested in it I'd say go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.