Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that several of the purported iPad 2 photos found on Alibaba.com , a small business e-commerce site, have been removed upon legal demand:
But someone -- it’s unclear who -- doesn’t seem to appreciate all the attention: Alibaba.com was asked to remove the listings. “We do not know whether these products are what they say they are, but we have received a legitimate takedown request and are removing the listings,” Alibaba Group spokesman John Spelich said Wednesday.
Further inquiries to the led to little detail as to who requested the takedown, but one of the companies named Fullchance Industrial Co. claimed the case designs were "extremely accurate" and that they worked directly with Hon Hai Precision Industry. Hon Hai assembles Apple's iPhone and iPad devices, though a Hon Hai spokesperson denied any connection between Hon Hai and the listings on Alibaba.

Meanwhile, recent 9to5Mac report with design images for the iPad 2 has also been pulled:
Update, we’ve been told (not so nicely) to remove those mold drawings because they are the property of someone else. We’ve complied.
The images of the cases have already seen wide distribution and are even physically in the hand of some bloggers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFYnLn_qNo

Article Link: Leaked iPad 2 Case Images Pulled

Last edited by a moderator:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Interesting. I think that leaves a tad more credibility to the next-gen iPad and it's possible new features. Obviously the article doesn't say who gave the takedown notice, but I think it is safe to say it wasn't Microsoft! ;)

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Cool, adds cred to the slightly thinner, flatter with rounded edges like an ipod 4th gen. Obviously a rear camera on there too. Personally I was thinking they would skip the rear camera but they must have a ton of space inside there for stuff.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if apple themselves (through 3rd party of course) leaked it to generate business.

They have nothing to gain because of this. The hype machine is already there once they announce a keynote or unavailing. Secrecy fuels the hype and leaking any bit of info is counter active to this.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
that's what you get in the unregulated wild of china. can't really cry for apple too much.

oscarmacca

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
At least we know they are real now! :)

The takedown notice never lies!

.......unless, that is, the takedown notice itself was an 'inside' job to give credence to the original story.

I'm getting myself confused now............happy New Year everyone!

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
They have nothing to gain because of this. The hype machine is already there once they announce a keynote or unavailing. Secrecy fuels the hype and leaking any bit of info is counter active to this.

Have they announced any keynotes?

Are they doing anything for the app store release?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
The fact that they were pulled seems to mean that they were likely legit, unless of course apple purposely forced somebody to remove fake images to make us think they are real so they can surprise us later... :)

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
honestly, what have we learned from this leak that wasn't obvious already:

-lighter
-thinner
-camera (FaceTime)
-no more bezel (like the iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod touch)
-no more curved design (like the iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod touch)

as well as the more likely to happen:
-more ram
-faster processor
-Apple's version of Retina Display for the iPad (not 4x the pixels like the iPhone/iPod touch, but definitely a higher ppi to make text and images look better)
-better battery life (just because they can)

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
The fact that they were pulled seems to mean that they were likely legit, unless of course apple purposely forced somebody to remove fake images to make us think they are real so they can surprise us later... :)

How ethical...

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Precisely what I what thinking! No one else spotted that? To me that is the most intriguing aspect of this whole video/take down.

The mere implication of a possible "flip open" access panel make my head spin!

not all cases are closed off on top, but that case could also be for the iPad 3G (2nd generation)

topmic.jpg

toujames

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa, OK
honestly, what have we learned from this leak that wasn't obvious already:

-lighter
-thinner
-camera (FaceTime)
-no more bezel (like the iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod touch)
-no more curved design (like the iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod touch)

as well as the more likely to happen:
-more ram
-faster processor
-Apple's version of Retina Display for the iPad (not 4x the pixels like the iPhone/iPod touch, but definitely a higher ppi to make text and images look better)
-better battery life (just because they can)

That's probably wats going to happen.
Apple is so predictable :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.