Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
This is good news and certainly sounds promising for an upcoming PB range. First half of 2005 is looking to be an exciting time!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
haha i hope just as much as you all do that we see new g5 PBs... regardless of when, this technology will definitely make it in there.
-kevin

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Yields are not affected. So, fingers crossed this technique will be rapidly adopted from PPC97x manufacture. About time the G5 got more than a minor MHz improvement. I'm still optimistic we'll see dual core processors by Q3 2005 (or at least an announcement). I suspect we have one more minor bump to PMG5, say 2.8GHz, and the arrival of X800, then we'll see serious changes in the subsequent revision (I'd hope we'd also see a case which will take four internal drives). If this allows faster CPUs without a drop in yield, perhaps it'll also enable the release of the mythical XStation (4xG5 high-end A/V workstation)?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
But given the fact that the 970FX already uses SOI and Strained Silicon, it would seem that this is a further refinement of what they are already doing, so the benefit wouldn't be anything close to the 24% the quote, it seems to me. The 24% improvement would be measured against a process that doesn't use SS at all, although the press release is obviously vague in this regard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.