Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I can't access Facebook on my MBP. My internet connection appears to be working fine, and I can access any other website. I am connected to my router by ethernet, as is my desktop running Windows 7. The desktop can access Facebook and anything else on the internet just fine, so I don't think it is a problem upstream. Rebooting my router didn't help.

If I try to go to Facebook on any browser on my MBP (Firefox, Safari, or Opera), it sits at a blank page for a while and eventually times out. I can ping Facebook.com, and if I do telnet facebook.com 80 it says connected to facebook.com. I can also access facebook if I go to their IP address, 69.63.181.11, in any browser, but I can't log in (it times out trying to load the request).

Anyone know what could be causing this, or how to fix it? I will try rebooting my MBP now, but it would be nice if there was a way to fix this without rebooting.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I tried clearing Firefox and Opera's cache, and I don't use Safari much, so it probably wasn't cached there.

Rebooting fixed it, but I'd still like to know what caused this or how to fix it without rebooting.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
In terminal try:

Code:
dscacheutil -flushcache

You may also want to try alternative DNS servers and see if the behavior changes:
http://www.opendns.com/

That would probably do it. I was thinking it was a DNS issue.

I don't like Open DNS because it is slower. It is an average of 80ms to ping them from here, whereas 4.2.2.1 is only 18ms. Browsing is noticeably slower using Open DNS. I assume my ISP's are even faster.

I had no problems accessing facebook on my desktop, which is also connected to my router.

JustinTBrown

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
Sorry to bump this but I am having the exact same issue explained by the thread starter since early yesterday: I have the ability to access Facebook on my desktop (connected to the same router) but NOT my laptop.

I tried rebooting Safari and my laptop (MacBook Pro), all software is up to date, removing all cookies, removing all firewalls, emptying cache, resetting modem, resetting router... I still only get the "Safari can't find the server" message every time I try to access Facebook.com.

I tried the "dscacheutil -flushcache" command in Terminal and that seemingly made no difference. I contacted my ISP and they said it was not something they could help with.

Anyone's assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Nicklerumor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
facebook is blocked in china and some other country with internet censorship

so if you want to access facebook, you could buy an vpn service. It works for me. For the vpn thing, i suggest fbvpn sailfishvpn. Which have very good speed and excellence service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.