Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for one of these apps. I want to read all kinds of files (pdf, word, excel, etc...), annotate PDF, download and upload to webdav and dropbox.

Both of them seems to do all I want. Goodreader has kind of a "cult" around it and a lot of people who tried Readdledocs seems to never go back.

Anyone here has tried both ? Which one do you prefer ?

The only thing I cannot find info about is whether or not I can do handwritten annotations on pdf in Readdledocs...

thanks

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I have both. I prefer Readdle. The interface feels more solid, if that makes any sense. You can add notes to PDFs but not handwritten ones.

I used to use GoodReader because it had extra features, now Readdle is virtually the same. I think Readdle is more polished and simpler to use.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've been a GoodReader user since it became available on the iPad and hadn't heard of Readdle until this thread. I'm about to reconsider my dedication to GoodReader.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I have been using GoodReader and ReaddleDocs since they were released. Only recently I bought PDF Expert from the makers of ReaddleDocs and I must say that this is far superior to both GoodReader and ReaddleDocs. It's a lot more expensive at $9.99 USD but it's definitely worth it.
3 of the best features I like include automatic dropbox 2 way syncing, SFTP support, and no lag when writing or drawing on PDF pages you'd typically find in GoodReader.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Is it safe to assume that the features that PDF Expert has over ReaddleDocs are mostly just annotation?

you can't open files other than PDF on pdf expert

on readdledoc you can open office file..

I would buy readdledoc right now if it had handwritten annotations....

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I have been using GoodReader and ReaddleDocs since they were released. Only recently I bought PDF Expert from the makers of ReaddleDocs and I must say that this is far superior to both GoodReader and ReaddleDocs. It's a lot more expensive at $9.99 USD but it's definitely worth it.
3 of the best features I like include automatic dropbox 2 way syncing, SFTP support, and no lag when writing or drawing on PDF pages you'd typically find in GoodReader.

Since you recommend PDF Expert, I wonder if you know if it supports PDF's produced with JPEG 2000 image compression method?

Thanks!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
How is the search speed on readdle? I ask because as a dedicated Goodreader user (who uses my ipad as my primary computer) this is a HUGE issue for me. I have around 20GB of files in GR on my iPad and searching is pretty quick all things considered.

Even though i preferred the UI of Airsharing (another file system type app) when deciding which app to use, it's searh function was abysmally slow, making the app unusable for me.

All this said, my real hope is that Apple makes these issues go away with a proper files app/file system.

I know you guys are focused on PDF annotation but many people use these apps as de facto file systems as i do so...

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Could somebody describe the Dropbox syncing functionality of PDF Expert? The iTunes listing for the app doesn't go into much detail, and I'd like to make sure that it means what I think it means before I spend $10 on the app.

Does "sync" mean that you have any changes you make to a PDF in PDF Expert automatically get updated on Dropbox, so when you open the file on your computer the new annotations are already there? Or does "sync" simply mean that you can both download from Dropbox and upload to Dropbox, but keeping track of the latest version is up to you (as is the case with Goodreader)?

Thanks.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I have both. I prefer the interface of ReaddleDocs, but Goodreader does a lot of little stuff that I like a lot. As a result, I use Goodreader, while ReaddlDocs is pretty much unused. There have not been any major upgrades to ReaddleDocs of late--perhaps a major one is on the way. Right now, between the two, I would get Goodreader.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've never used ReaddleDocs, but I've been a Goodreader user since the beginning. In short, I'd say that Goodreader works very well but the user interface is more utilitarian than anything else. It's not pretty but it works very well!

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Could somebody describe the Dropbox syncing functionality of PDF Expert? The iTunes listing for the app doesn't go into much detail, and I'd like to make sure that it means what I think it means before I spend $10 on the app.

Does "sync" mean that you have any changes you make to a PDF in PDF Expert automatically get updated on Dropbox, so when you open the file on your computer the new annotations are already there? Or does "sync" simply mean that you can both download from Dropbox and upload to Dropbox, but keeping track of the latest version is up to you (as is the case with Goodreader)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've used all three quite extensively - as well as Airsharing in the early days. I gave Pdf Expert and Readdledocs a good long trial - the sync works in exactly the same way as the GR sync, except the Readdle apps didn't handle larger folders as well as GR (just kept failing) and GR has a more intuitive way of handling conflicts - that was the main reason I have switched over to GR permanently.

I also found it a little annoying that by using the 2 Readdle apps (as opposed to an all-in-one app like GR) I often ended up with duplicate local copies of things, which meant when I performed a sync with Dropbox, sometimes an older version would overwrite the newer.

Pdf Expert has by far the cleanest UI (IMO) but I have found GR a better all-rounder. The pdf searching has been significantly faster for me in GR too.

TheSkinsFactory

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
South Florida, USA
Our app doesn't do annotating but it's a pretty extensive file viewer/reader/organizer. You can see here: http://www.zenviewer.com

While it can't annotate it has Open In functionality so you could store your files in Zen Viewer and then open them in one of the annotation apps and if they also support open in, then you could save it back to Zen Viewer. And in case you don't want to take my word for it (I am biased of course):

"Reads nearly anything, plays nearly everything, & even lets you record audio. Zen Viewer HD from The Skins Factory succeeds impressively..." — Mac | Life ★★★★½ (Rated: Excellent)

"Zen Viewer is a feast for the eyes... The app is fast & responsive." — Cult of Mac ★★★★ (Rated: 4/5)

"Zen Viewer's interface & capabilities have made it one of my new favorites." — TUAW

"If you're looking for an innovative & great-looking iPad file manager, Zen Viewer is one of the new apps of 2011 to try out." — MacStories

"A must-have app... A full featured file viewer & reader with a touch of class." — AppAdvice ★★★★½ (Rated: 4.5/5)

"Beautiful file management for the iPad." — AppStorm (Rated: 9/10)

I had the iPad on day one. One of the first apps i purchased was GoodReader. It was buggy at the time and the interface was ridiculous. Now I own a user interface design studio so i'm pickier than most people. Now flash forward to today and GoodReader is less buggy but the UI is still ridiculous. That's why we created Zen Viewer - because you should be able to have both form and function.

Last edited:

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Hello guys,

I would love to answer all your questions.

So, let's begin.

1) ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert are essentially 2 different products. If you need a powerful file manager with clean UI - you would have to go for ReaddleDocs. However, if you need extensive PDF annotations features, PDF Forms and Signature support - PDF Expert might be a better choice.

2) Someone wrote that you can open just PDF files in PDF Expert - this is not true. PDF Expert handles all types of documents.

3) The difference between RD and PDF Expert is not only in annotations (highlights, handwritten annotations, water marks, signatures, strike-out, type onto PDFs, much more). PDF Expert is the only app in the AppStore that supports PDF Forms (even with calculations). It can also save all your changes as Flatten, so your annotations or signatures won't be changed.

4) Two-way dropbox sync works like charm. With a single tap the whole folder can be two-way synced to the Dropbox, iDisk, SugarSync or any WebDAV storage. All you do is choose folder, press sync. Later on, when you add files from desktop or iPad it will automatically sync both ways.

5) Search speed for GR and RD is pretty much the same.

Personally I use PDF Expert for all my needs. I read a lot of academic articles, annotate them, sync with my Readdle Storage and Dropbox. Also, I copy movies from my Macbook my drag and drop onto iPad to watch while traveling. More info about PDF Expert for iPad here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1133057/

I hope that helps.

For more questions feel free to write here, follow @readdle or like our FB fan page http://facebook.com/readdle

http://readdle.com

Denys

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Readdlemate, thanks for your post. I wonder- is there any reason to use Readdledocs above PDF expert in that case? Is there anything that Rdocs can do that PExpert can't? I'm just thinking - I love the UI of PExpert, and if that can handle everything that Rdocs can, I might switch back from GReader to PExpt and use that as my all-in-one file manager and PDF annotater etc....it was having everything split across the two Readdle apps that I didn't like, and the reason I switched to GReader to consolidate everything....

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Readdlemate, thanks for your post. I wonder- is there any reason to use Readdledocs above PDF expert in that case? Is there anything that Rdocs can do that PExpert can't? I'm just thinking - I love the UI of PExpert, and if that can handle everything that Rdocs can, I might switch back from GReader to PExpt and use that as my all-in-one file manager and PDF annotater etc....it was having everything split across the two Readdle apps that I didn't like, and the reason I switched to GReader to consolidate everything....

I would say go for PDF Expert. It does everything.

RD has less features than PDF Expert. We did it because some people might not need to have annotations, Forms support, etc. That's why they shouldn't be charged for those features.

luckystriked

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
So I bought Readdledocs so I can download pdfs from a very specific site and now this app can't download them, what can I do now? I feel like i just wasted 5,99. :(

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
So I bought Readdledocs so I can download pdfs from a very specific site and now this app can't download them, what can I do now? I feel like i just wasted 5,99. :(

What did you mean by saying 'very specific site' ?

Normally, you go from browser on a web-site or click directly on PDF link. It opens for preview. By pressing Save as a PDF button you can save it onto your iPad.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Hey Readdlemate,

I haven't checked out your apps in awhile but they all seem nice but sometimes it is confusing to decide which one to buy.

Lately, I have been "consulting" a lot of friends on which apps they should get for their workflow/business.

Do any of your apps do the zoom/cropping and locking feature for PDFs that goodreader has? This is the number 1 problem with iBooks, or at least last time I tried. This feature is especially important to my lawyer and grad student friends, and why I have always recommend goodreader.

Side notes:
With Apple's walled garden or whatever, you would think that their excessive control would allow time limited demos of apps, allowing people to try apps before buying.

After spending $80 on Mac and both iOS versions of "Things" with the promise of cloud sync for much more than a year, maybe two, I don't trust new companies as much. Not a comment at your company but a generalization. I wish I could get refunds.... from the app store for but honestly, Apple knows it is not worth my time to call and email.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Hey Readdlemate,

I haven't checked out your apps in awhile but they all seem nice but sometimes it is confusing to decide which one to buy.

Lately, I have been "consulting" a lot of friends on which apps they should get for their workflow/business.

Do any of your apps do the zoom/cropping and locking feature for PDFs that goodreader has? This is the number 1 problem with iBooks, or at least last time I tried. This feature is especially important to my lawyer and grad student friends, and why I have always recommend goodreader.

Side notes:
With Apple's walled garden or whatever, you would think that their excessive control would allow time limited demos of apps, allowing people to try apps before buying.

After spending $80 on Mac and both iOS versions of "Things" with the promise of cloud sync for much more than a year, maybe two, I don't trust new companies as much. Not a comment at your company but a generalization. I wish I could get refunds.... from the app store for but honestly, Apple knows it is not worth my time to call and email.

Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

Why is it hard to decide which one to buy? It really depends what for you're going to use these apps, what kind of work flow do you have, etc.

Yes, both of our apps (ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert for iPad) have zoom/crop/lock mode.

As for a company and reputation, it would be better for us to give away refunds also. Truth be told, we are not interested in someones $4.99 if the person is dissatisfied. It only happens when they didn't read description and don't know how to use guidelines. However, I can tell that 95% of our clients/customers are happy about our products and exceptional customer support service.

I hope that helps.
Feel free to ask further questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.