Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afflicted Max

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I have two indigo iMac G3s, and I have a broken Xbox 360... So I was thinking about fixing the 360 and selling it on craigslist. When I realized I could make a pretty epic LAN machine.

My plan is to gut out the iMac, and put in a flat panel LCD and then piece together the Xbox (obviously fixed) inside the iMac's case. Leaving me with a (fairly) portable console/monitor combo.

My question is, will the Xbox 360's motherboard fit into the body of the iMac?

macdudeguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
You're asking for advice on a modification that, to the best of my knowledge, has never been done?

The obvious answer to your question would be; An iMac G3 is several times the volume of an Xbox 360, so I have no doubt that at one angle or another the 360 motherboard would fit.

Afflicted Max

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks guys.

I think the hardest part, after removing the CRT :confused: will be finding a way to attach the 360's disk drive directly to the iMac's body. From there, it's just extending buttons and making sure it all fits...

Oh, and hot damn (literally) I'm going to have to do a lot of work to make sure it's cool enough... :s

Afflicted Max

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Any tips on taking out the PSU, without electrocuting myself?

I plan on doing it very Ben Heck-esque. I'm going to string a surge protector cable, and just try and plug it all directly into that. Then just plug in the surge protector, and have two power buttons; one for the 360, and the other for the monitor. Then I get to mod the 360's drive to fit into the iMac's slot loader. It should be an interesting build.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
This sounds like a really cool idea. If you decide to give it a try be sure to post some pictures! The one thing I would try to do would be to somehow mount some large but quiet fans above the motherboard of the 360 to suck the hot air off of it and blow it out the top ventilation holes. Good luck.

Afflicted Max

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Yeah, I took a trip to BestBuy to get some peripherals from some Christmas goodies, and noticed they sold some smaller fans in there for like 9$ each. I may buy a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.