Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
After 2 hours of trying I've figured it out. This community helped me so I figure why not help them back.

This is how to restore your iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband without receiving an error on iTunes. All credit goes to member Lense on thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1057032/ post 17.

Basically you'll need
redsn0w 0.9.6b6 (version I used)
Apple iPhone 4.2.1 firmware http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9895.20101122.Cdew2/iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw
and a custom restore image http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E

( Reason for this separate post was for awareness and translation to the English language a tad more clear)

Use redsn0w and click Browse ( find the firmware image you downloaded from Apple) Select Yes ( at least I had to)

In redsn0w select Next

In that screen check the box that says "Just enter pwned phone in DFU mode"

Phone will now have a black screen, do not worry it's in DFU mode if you followed the steps correctly.

Open iTunes, hold the option key (Mac) and select the custom recovery image we downloaded through Megaupload

Your phone should now be restored to 4.2.1 and should boot up to something besides the iTunes logo.

Use redsn0w again select Apples firmware, this time ONLY select the option to install Cydia.

Follow the steps, it will take a while for it to completely boot up.

If you get a white icon for Cydia like I did, use redsn0w, browse for the ipsw from Apple, this time select "Just boot tethered right now"

Hopefully this helps some of you.

geovanyore

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
do you if this works on a windows 7 pc? it should i guess, i just dont know how to replace the option key from a mac on a pc :(

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Windows owners have been using the Shift key for over 3 years now as part of the process of restoring to custom firmware. The slightest amount of research would have yielded this information.

geovanyore

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
Windows owners have been using the Shift key for over 3 years now as part of the process of restoring to custom firmware. The slightest amount of research would have yielded this information.

I thank you for your response. But I am such an amateur that you probably are thinking I shouldnt be jailbreaking something I dont fully understand. So thank you for your response.

Now... I'm having a different issue. It's saying "The iphone "iphone" cannot be restores at this time because the Iphone update software server could not be contacted oris temporarily unavailable.

Please try again later."

Should I trust their message to try later, or am I just out of luck?

Again thanks for your help dude.

Last edited:

geovanyore

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
Are you connected online?
Seems like itunes cannot communicate with Apples servers.
Maybe try another computer if you can and make sure no program is blocking anything on your computer like firewall, antivirus suite etc...

I said help.. you did much more. you enlightned me to use a diff computer. Dude you are the tits! it worked like a charm, you dont know how much i appreciate this. I was usinng a win 7 with Itunes 10.1. Used win xp with itunes 10.1

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS IF LIKE ME YOU HAVE:
-iphone 3gs 32 gb
-baseband from Ipad 06.15.00
-os 4.2.1
-jailbroken with redsnow 0.9.6b6
- an iphone that wont restore, reboot or anything.

other than that it is still worth trying.

Spungy013

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
Still issues

I had the same problem... I folled the steps and got the custom file and successfully got my phone back working... I then ran Redsn0w again and picked the apple .ipsw it seemed to work but then froze while rebooting once again. it is now again stuck on the apple sign and not rebooting. Is there something I am doing wrong here. I has now been sitting at this screen for 20 minutes.

Thanks

l0ckm4

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Yipppeeee

SWAY - you are the man - excellent, i thought my phone was destined to be just a sexy looking pile of crap. now it is working jailbroken and unlocked on 4.2.1 :D

Thanks for taking the time to post this incredibly useful howto

shayhibah

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Sway i have the same prob
i did every step but after using redsn0w and pu V only in install cydia (2 last lines), my phone boot-up with apple logo and it stucks...

what do i need to do?//

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Try running redsn0w in xp compatibility mode if you are on something newer, also run as administrator.

If that fails try restoring the phone as new and try again, that's what I had to do to get it to work.

starcraper

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
I tried that with the same result. I will try to find a Win XP PC to do it on there, or a Mac. I have 3GS with new something (what redsn0w) asks. From what Sway says, it seems that the custom firmware is for the new one.

I'll keep trying different combinations and inform on any success.

bape47

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Vallejo California
After 2 hours of trying I've figured it out. This community helped me so I figure why not help them back.

This is how to restore your iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband without receiving an error on iTunes. All credit goes to member Lense on thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1057032/ post 17.

Basically you'll need
redsn0w 0.9.6b6 (version I used)
Apple iPhone 4.2.1 firmware http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9895.20101122.Cdew2/iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw
and a custom restore image http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E

( Reason for this separate post was for awareness and translation to the English language a tad more clear)

Use redsn0w and click Browse ( find the firmware image you downloaded from Apple) Select Yes ( at least I had to)

In redsn0w select Next

Phone will now have a black screen, do not worry it's in DFU mode if you followed the steps correctly.

Open iTunes, hold the option key (Mac) and select the custom recovery image we downloaded through Megaupload

Your phone should now be restored to 4.2.1 and should boot up to something besides the iTunes logo.

Use redsn0w again select Apples firmware, this time ONLY select the option to install Cydia.

If you get a white icon for Cydia like I did, use redsn0w, browse for the ipsw from Apple, this time select "Just boot tethered right now"

i did this one same and its work good.but i have a problem with my Iphone 3GS i got the cydia and i update it then the iphone reboot after that i click cydia again to install ultrasn0w but when i click the cydia its doenst work it let me out of cydia i dont know why :(.....so i did again and i pass the update from cydia i go to add the soures repo666.ultrasn0w.com and intall it when it done it says reboot device and after that my iphone now stock at the apple logo on the screen :( please help me ....... thank you so much for your FW custom i build it on macbook i choose FW 4.2.1 it says wrong bundle :( thanks again about your FW custom

kazeem110

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
hi guys
the guys how stuck when they did restore and device boot and stuck on apple logo
they need to boot it again with resnow
conect ur iphone with pc or mac
run redsnow and again chk the option boot untreaded and ur device boot with pineapple logo and u will c soon ur fone working fine
remmeber when ever u boot again u need resnow to boot it up otherwise its again stuck on apple logo

and donot restore from itune if u change baseband to ipod it will stuck again u need to do whole process again thanx

inakisantos

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks

Ufff finally I have my iPhone 3GS back!!!!

My problem was the same: Iphone 3GS 4.2.1 JB with redsn0w 0.9.6b6 tethered and iPad baseband for the unlock with ultrasn0w. Everything was fine until install one tool from cydia, iphone ask me to reboot but I did not listen and the iPhone died! :confused::confused:No way to boot it, no way to jailbreak it again, no way to restore it, nothing! Always stays in DFU mode asking for iTunes connection.:(:(

I spent many hours testing with everything! RecBoot, sn0breeze, iREB, umbrella,... but finally the same, when triead to restore using iTunes at the end get "error unknown 1005" :mad::mad:

The key has been the custom restore ipsw uploaded to megaupload. Now its back.

Thanks.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

mmelia

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Many thanks to you all!!! This is a great post! I have been stuck with my 3G 4.2.1 6.15 for many days.

Especially thank you to divinebaboon with the custom firmware of 3G.

Thank you very very much!!!

Shimijimito

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Yo!
I've been stuck at this for about half a year now (I've given up a couple of times in between so that also the reason) and no solution so far has helped my phone progress over ERROR 3194 when trying to verify the OS.
even if I try to just turn it on (while not connected to comp) it just gets stuck at the Apple Logo forever. and sometimes I can't even turn it off after that. at least not until the battery runs out.

i've got iPhone 3GS with old boot and right now I have no idea which OS :p

could it just be that my phone is broken in any way and can't accept any upgrade/downgrade like that? :p

Scherzcarder

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011

In redsn0w select Next

All that is really helpful.
But if your phone woun't load up when you install cydia you need use redsn0w again and choose "Just boot tethered right now"
It should help):apple:

northstar1130

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
this is my first ever POST!

and it is gotta say thanks to Scherzcarder and i have been doing what Sway posted to do on my own but it was the rerun on tethered that makes it work
this has been a pain to figure out and it was that simple of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.