Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
does this kind of installation require some trick to be done?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
hahah sorry guys, yes its a typo, its Ghz... so what do you think?

techbyed

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
I am typing this on one of the last model G4 Powerbooks. I have 2 Gigs RAM and Leopard 10.5.8. Things work just fine, no tricks needed. DVD drive reads the Leopard DVD-DL just fine. I installed on a brand new HDD and farmed my old disk out to an external case.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I am typing this on one of the last model G4 Powerbooks. I have 2 Gigs RAM and Leopard 10.5.8. Things work just fine, no tricks needed. DVD drive reads the Leopard DVD-DL just fine. I installed on a brand new HDD and farmed my old disk out to an external case.
cool which model do you have? is it the 1.65Ghz?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Just to make one thing straight, before i make the reinstallation...
If i remember correctly the guy that gave me that Powerbook had told me that he installed Leopard on it by some special way and not normally. Can this be true?

Also while the OS is starting, the screen looks like a DOS screen with a lot of text/commands running trough it... why is this happening?

techbyed do you have the same issues at boot with all those commands n stuff?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Just to make one thing straight, before i make the reinstallation...
If i remember correctly the guy that gave me that Powerbook had told me that he installed Leopard on it by some special way and not normally. Can this be true?

Also while the OS is starting, the screen looks like a DOS screen with a lot of text/commands running trough it... why is this happening?

techbyed do you have the same issues at boot with all those commands n stuff?

It can be true, but it should work perfectly normally as your PowerBook is supported. Also, it sounds like your OS is booting in "Verbose Mode" instead of Normal Mode.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It can be true, but it should work perfectly normally as your PowerBook is supported. Also, it sounds like your OS is booting in "Verbose Mode" instead of Normal Mode.
1. What does Verbose Mode practically mean?
2. Slower speeds?
3. Please tell me more about this and why does it run in this mode?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Take your Powerbook in to an Apple store. Sounds like you might have a logic board failure, i.e. text on the screen. Leopard should install on it just fine, if you have a retail Leopard dvd, not a gray install disc from some other computer. Have the Apple store check your ram too.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Take your Powerbook in to an Apple store. Sounds like you might have a logic board failure, i.e. text on the screen.

Nonsense. A logic board failiure wouldnt cause a Verbose Boot ("text on the screen") - It would either cause a kernel panic and stop it booting, or stop the machine starting completely. To the OP, try disabling verbose boot using the procedure in this article: http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/25/always-boot-mac-os-x-in-verbose-mode/. Verbose mode is just an option as Mac OS X is based on UNIX, it in effect lets you see the UNIXy underpinnings of the boot process - its a useful diagnostic tool, but could get annoying if their constantly.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Nonsense. A logic board failiure wouldnt cause a Verbose Boot ("text on the screen") - It would either cause a kernel panic and stop it booting, or stop the machine starting completely. To the OP, try disabling verbose boot using the procedure in this article: http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/25/always-boot-mac-os-x-in-verbose-mode/. Verbose mode is just an option as Mac OS X is based on UNIX, it in effect lets you see the UNIXy underpinnings of the boot process - its a useful diagnostic tool, but could get annoying if their constantly.

You could be right, i was thinking about the "you must restart your computer" screen on a logic board failure.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok guys, i think im ready to install Leopard, or should it be Tiger? Maybe it will run faster with Tiger? What do you think?
Anyhow what should i do in order to make the installation? How should i prepare things? I have data on the PBook that i want to save and make a clean installation!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
one more thing, to which point does the system notify me that the OSX disc used cannot be used if its an OEM for eg. will it let me begin installation or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.