Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Has anyone had this friggin' problem? I can't turn off the closed captions in the DVD player. I've tried everything from preferences, to the actual dvd menu, putting in different dvds, restarting my machine.. NOTHING will take the stupid captions off.

Someone help! I'm so annoyed!!

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
HELP DVD Player suffering from a closed form of captionitis.

MacDuff said:
Has anyone had this friggin' problem? I can't turn off the closed captions in the DVD player. I've tried everything from preferences, to the actual dvd menu, putting in different dvds, restarting my machine.. NOTHING will take the stupid captions off.
Someone help! I'm so annoyed!!
1. Have you upgraded to 10.3.3?
2. When did this start?
3. If you have another Mac, have you tried copy/paste of the DVD Player application from it into your problem Mac's Application folder, replacing old with new? If the application itself is corrupted, this could help.
4. Run disk permissions?
5. Which Mac do you have?
6. What kind of drive do you have? Combo or SuperDrive?

If the problem expands to foreign languages (especially French, Hebrew or Southern Drawl*), you may have an Apple capable of speaking in tongues.
Remember Apple's origin in the Garden of Eden according to Genesis? Do you see the potential extent of your problem?

If so, be careful to whom you share your "problem", especially the religious right and Pentecostals; then again, they may offer to buy your Mac from you at a significant premium.

Then there is the other possibility, you have a Mac possessed of the DVD, or with a bad case of non-specific D VD.
Final solution - AppleCare Exorcism

If an Exorcism fails, consult an AppleCare Oracle or visit a Genius Bar & Grill at your nearest Apple Store Temple.

Please forgive my lame attempt at humor at your expense, I recognize that your problem is both frustrating and serious.
Hopefully, what I have suggested in the more serious areas is helpful, otherwise, some qualified Apple tech may be sufficiently intrigued, maybe even entertained, by this nonsense to give you some real HELP.
-----------------
Drawl \Drawl\, v. i. (as in "Souther drawl")
To speak with slow and lingering utterance, from laziness, lack of spirit, affectation, etc.
To utter in a slow, lengthened tone.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
A friend of mine has the exact same problem. He has a new emac running 10.3.3?(at least 10.3.2) with the superdrive. He tried it with several dvds. His hardware dvd player works fine. What could be causing this?

bija

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2006
trash your DVD prefs

I had this same problem recently. I threw out the dvdplayer.plist preference file (first quit DVD Player) and all is right again.

highwatermac

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
What worked for me...

I had to go into features, then closed captioning, which was on, and turn it off there. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.