Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alienworkshoper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Got 4 days before my time is up with Best Buy (geek squad is beat, but that accident coverage looks good). I was leaning towards apple.

gsarg

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
You already have AppleCare for the first year ... BestBuy is a waste of money :cool:
This.

You have to be very careful on Best Buy "warranties" - the fine print usually trumps the awesomeness of the large print.

ZebOfMac

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
Got 4 days before my time is up with Best Buy (geek squad is beat, but that accident coverage looks good). I was leaning towards apple.

The only real benefit to the best buy coverage is that the warranty can be extended past three years. As with any warranty read the fine print and remember all apple repairs sent out by Best Buy still go to apple tech centers.

Alienworkshoper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Wait does the first year of apple care cover as much as the extended coverage does? And how long after the original purchase can you buy it? I know that the best buy is 2 weeks after the original purchase.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
The first year of warranty is the same as what the additional two years of Applecare give you, I believe. You can only purchase Applecare within the first year, once your one year is up, you can no longer buy it.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
You have 1 year from the date of purchase to buy applecare. Don't push it though. get it a month early. It doesn't really go on sale, its an apple product after all, so there is no reason to wait.

ZebOfMac

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
Wait does the first year of apple care cover as much as the extended coverage does? And how long after the original purchase can you buy it? I know that the best buy is 2 weeks after the original purchase.

Depends on you particular Best Buy. Our local stores allow warranty purchase as long as the product is in the original manufacture and in working conditions as determined by the geeks.

I only know about this because my parents love buying their desktop windows units there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can buy AppleCare at the same time you buy your Mac, or anytime during the first year, while the first year warranty is in effect. Telephone support under the warranty expires after 90 days, but AppleCare extends it to 3 years, along with the other warranty coverage. AppleCare doesn't cover anything that the original warranty doesn't cover. It simply adds 2 years to the coverage.

ZebOfMac

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
You can buy AppleCare at the same time you buy your Mac, or anytime during the first year, while the first year warranty is in effect. Telephone support under the warranty expires after 90 days, but AppleCare extends it to 3 years, along with the other warranty coverage. AppleCare doesn't cover anything that the original warranty doesn't cover. It simply adds 2 years to the coverage.

Apple will waive the 90 days of phone support if you have a previous problem and it is ongoing (speaker tahts).

Generally the phone support has been wonderful for me in the past, the apple store thats another area all together.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
The best buy warranty is actually really good. It covers surge protection, which the apple warranty does not cover. They also give you a brand new computer after three repairs. Its their policy, and I have used it a couple of times. Its a great benefit to the consumer. Either warranty is fantastic, and both give you great coverage. Go with whichever one you want.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
They both have their pros & cons. After carefully researching Best Buys offering, I still prefer Apple Care. I always buy mine when I get a new Mac. That way I have constant uninterrupted access to telephone support. I've never been disappointed with Apple Care.

Windows

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2010
Bestbuy sucks

I'm telling you DO NOT get bestbuy, they're staff is lousy, and they'll go to all extremes to argue with you. I'm telling you this beacause I spent the last 3 days trying to get my faulty iPod 4th gen replaced, they didn't do anything about it.
I let them test out my battery and according to them the battery is completely fine, even if it is about 20 hours off of what the Apple website says it should be, how stupid :rolleyes:
What can you expect... I bet they hate their jobs.

Yesterday I went to my local Apple store, made an appointment, went today and they quickly discovered the battery issue and offered me a new replacement. This all took 10 minutes, no arguing, no hassles.
Def. go with Apple Care, try getting it from a third party, they said there was no issue getting it this way. Just make sure the third party seller is trustworthy.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
...I'm telling you this beacause I spent the last 3 days trying to get my faulty iPod 4th gen replaced, they didn't do anything about it...

How long is the coverage on your 4th generation iPod? I had one of those purchased from BestBuy with 4 year coverage that ran out in 2008.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
You might want to check if your credit card already extends the warranty. Another option is to check if your renter's insurance can cover your computer.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

If you are like me you have dealt with several salespeople at big box stores who know nothing about the products they sell. Especially if the products they sell are macs. These same people who know nothing are the people you rely on to help you with problems if you have a bestbuy warranty. I would get the applecare for sure because in general you deal with people who know alot about the product. I was at futureshop (best buy in canada and futureshop are basically the same thing) and there was a guy returning a PS3 because it gave him a hard drive failure error. The guy said it was going to take two weeks for them to try to fix it lol. Do you really want to be without a computer for two weeks if that happens to you? Apple would just swap the drive and you would be good to go the same day

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not true...I picked up Applecare from B&H for my MBP 13 for $174...just saying...

Good point. It seems they still have this price. $9 cheaper than the Apple Education discount price, and if you're outside NY no sales tax (saving another $10 or so depending on your state/local sales tax).

Personally, I wouldn't buy it until month 10 or 11 of the included first year warranty.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Good point. It seems they still have this price. $9 cheaper than the Apple Education discount price, and if you're outside NY no sales tax (saving another $10 or so depending on your state/local sales tax).

Personally, I wouldn't buy it until month 10 or 11 of the included first year warranty.

You definitely have a point about waiting, deeddawg. I've done that before with other computer purchases. Call it impetuousness...I decided not to wait because I did not know how long the sale would last at B&H.

...and you're going to think I'm really nuts because with the savings (and adding some more), I also purchased a Square Trade Warranty...even though there is some duplication, I wanted the ADH.

Both warranties together (Applecare and SquareTrade) cost less than the Best Buy warranty...and I'm a fan of Best Buy but I'm not crazy about their "plans."

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Call it impetuousness...I decided not to wait because I did not know how long the sale would last at B&H.

Makes sense if you don't have the ability to get the Edu discount price. No guarantees how long BH will have that price.

I also purchased a Square Trade Warranty...even though there is some duplication, I wanted the ADH.

That can definitely make sense depending on your past history with accidental damage. :) My son has a Dell Studio 15 that we made good use of the accident protection on after his laptop slipped off his lap onto the dorm room floor and busted a corner of the display. :eek:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

I understand why you wouldn't buy Apple Care right away, since it's covered for that 1st year anyway, but if something goes wrong with your Mac during the 1st year and it's repaired/replaced wouldn't the 3 year Apple Care still cover the repaired original or replacement Mac for years 2 and 3?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
[...]wouldn't the 3 year Apple Care still cover the repaired original or replacement Mac for years 2 and 3?

It would. I'm talking more about the situation where one might sell the current machine to buy an updated or different model within the first year. I bought my MBP13 in November and there's a distinct possibility I might change it out in summer 2011 depending on what changes Apple makes.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I moved/travel a lot. That's why I went with the Apple Care warranty. To be honest, I haven't used it, but I'd imagine that if I had a problem in Japan, it's easier/cheaper to get fixed at an Apple Store than via Best Buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.