Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093441-ios_clock_icon.jpg

Reuters has been keeping on top of the iOS alarm clock bug that has seen users experiencing problems with alarms activating properly in the new year. Despite reassurances from Apple over the weekend that alarms would begin functioning properly today, a number of users have reportedly continued to experience problems today, the first day of work in 2011 for many people.
Some iPhone users across the globe complained of malfunctioning alarms on the first working day of 2011, even after Apple reassured users that its phones' built-in clocks will work from Monday.

Bloggers, as well as Facebook and Twitter users, complained they missed flights or were late to arrive at work as the alarm built into Apple's iPhone failed to go off for a third straight day for some users.
Apple has yet to offer an updated response to the issue today, and it is unclear why only some users are continuing to experience the bug, which affects non-recurring alarms.

The New Year's bug is not the first alarm-related issue to affect Apple's iOS devices. Last year, an issue related to Daylight Savings Time calculations affected recurring alarms beginning in Australia and New Zealand in late September and moving around the world as other countries either began or ended Daylight Savings Time. Apple addressed that specific bug with the release of iOS 4.2 in late November.

Article Link: iPhone Alarm Bug Still Causing Issues for Some Users

djschief

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Tried mine about 30 minutes ago and it works fine. Maybe it just had to be a particular time in order for it to work. I certainly hope they fix all these damn bugs, its kinda annoying.

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Obvious?

If folks only rely on a PHONE for their PRIMARY alarm, and then miss flights/work/etc., that's on them. People should know that an electronic device that does more than be an alarm clock might mess up that feature. Why people don't just spring for a $10 travel clock that works perfectly 100% of the time (save for battery death/changing) is beyond me.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
It's because they created the alarm yesterday. Try testing any alarm created today and it will work. Or maybe quit the clock app. It's not an issue anymore.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
If folks only rely on a PHONE for their PRIMARY alarm, and then miss flights/work/etc., that's on them. People should know that an electronic device that does more than be an alarm clock might mess up that feature. Why people don't just spring for a $10 travel clock that works perfectly 100% of the time (save for battery death/changing) is beyond me.

Is this what you've become on trying to defend Apple? Pathetic.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine wasn't working this morning so I deleted and recreated it. Now it's fine.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
Happened to me this morning

Set a recurring alarm this morning (weekdays) for 06:45 as I was getting picked up by a colleague at 07:30. Damn thing didn't go off and I was instead awoken by a text from the guy picking me up saying he was sat waiting outside the house!

Bloody annoying.

Caharin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
I set mine for 5:45am EST this morning and it did not work properly. I use a regular alarm clock though so I got up just fine (though a bit groggy after a week straight of vacation). :D

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Tried mine about 30 minutes ago and it works fine. Maybe it just had to be a particular time in order for it to work. I certainly hope they fix all these damn bugs, its kinda annoying.

How many "bugs" are there needing repair?

dpierre

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Somewhere is the US
I guess some people are so blind, that when a product doesn't work as intended they say it's your fault :rolleyes:
Why should I waste $10 on an alarm clock if my phone can do it? Can that alarm clock wake me up if the power is out?

Last edited:

Apollo21

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Do you also carry around a PSP, a wristwatch, a calculator, a portable camera, and an iPod with your iPhone? ... I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
A few thoughts.

First, who the hell uses a phone as a main alarm clock?

Second, wow apple

Third, I bet it happens again when the clocks get set the other way later this year.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So it's only on alarms that are set after 12/31/10? My partner set an alarm on 12/31 for 1/1 and it worked fine... I told her about the issue and actually expected it not to happen, but it did... :-(

Weird...

awr

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
"Bloggers, as well as Facebook and Twitter users, complained they missed flights or were late to arrive at work as the alarm built into Apple's iPhone failed to go off for a third straight day for some users."

If you've let this alarm screw you for the third day in a row, that's on you.

It's a phone, it's not gonna think for you . . . .

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
$300 billion market cap and can't make a clock app work that any first semester programmer can do.

Came in here to say this same thing. I mean a bug like this once is pretty lame, but forgivable. But twice? Come on, no excuses there. I could buy a $4 crappy clock from Wal-Mart that would at least work. My $200 "smart"phone can't even play a sound file at a certain time?

Because a $200 smartphone should be able, without a doubt, to work as an alarm clock. You let a $200 phone off the hook but tell us to rely on a $10 piece of crap clock? Come on dude, stop drinking the kool aid. I love Apple as much as the next guy but they still deserve criticism.

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
How the clock app is coded (in pseudocode because I can't really code):

If (alarmTime == currentTime and currentYear != 2011){
activateAlarm()
}​

After some more digging around in the source code, this is what I found:

If (girlfriendBirthday == currentDay and random(10)>8){
activateReminder()
}​

...and some more:

If (importantMeetingDay == currentDay){
deleteAllAlarms()
currentDay = Tomorrow
setNewHour = random(12)
setNewMinutes = random(60)
trace("haha you suck!")
}​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.