Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
hey
is there any way that i can get office 2011 for my computer or even just word 2011 for the ppc? the main reason that i need it is for the way one can read pages in full screen in word - i need it alot for debate. it would be awesome if i can thanks alot

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
alright thanks guys. it just sucks that they made it only for intel. now i have to get all A's at the end of this semester and get a macbook pro - which isnt that bad(hopefully)

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
yeah it probably will the one thing i need is a good full screen reading which 2011 has - maybe if you guys can tell me how to tweak the settings for the full screen reading in word 2008 would be really helpfull thanks

Last edited:

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
on the web i see alot of sites with the system requirements saying powerpc g4 with a 500 mzh processor or higher. is this true??

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
There is that slight chance its actually universal binary. Some may recall all the talk about Final Cut Studio 3 having Intel only system requirements, but in reality being fully coded for PPC and working on Powermac G5's. I've not had a chance to play with 2011, but maybe somebody here has bought it and can see if its possible to install on a PPC using Pacifist or something similar?

*EDIT*
Nevermind. Just checked it out, and its definitely Intel only. Kinda suprised the guys at Microsoft actually put that much effort into it. Office 2008 was a joke. What kind of word processor needs 200MB of RAM to run?

Last edited:

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
i completely agree with you Hrududu, why would they do that.Im sure there are alot of people with Powerpcs that dont want to upgrade cause each new mac is at the lowest end $1,000 - that causes more problems if they continue creating programs that are only intel based. Or they give all of us free upgrades!(as if they are going to do that :p)

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
i got a macbook pro for my birthday!!! Problem solved and i got office 2011.
i recommend it to all. office 2011 is a great tool with many different advantages. For example : im a policy debater and i really need a full screen view in word with being able to switch pages really quickly.In word 2011, there is a full screen option that makes everything but the doc. disappear and....there you go!Full screen reading thats AMAZING!!!!

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
i got a macbook pro for my birthday!!! Problem solved and i got office 2011.
i recommend it to all. office 2011 is a great tool with many different advantages. For example : im a policy debater and i really need a full screen view in word with being able to switch pages really quickly.In word 2011, there is a full screen option that makes everything but the doc. disappear and....there you go!Full screen reading thats AMAZING!!!!

Hmm.. I wonder of the latest versions o Neo Office and Open Office have this full screen feature? I have Office 2011 on my mac pro.. its nice, but I prefer something less bloated.. Office 2011 maybe the greatest, but its still bloated where as neo office and open office aren't.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
not sure, i have never used those before, but i think its more based on preference because im a debater and i need something like that to scroll through many,many,many,many pages and quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.