Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bully worm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 with Google Chrome dev version 10.0.612.3.

To access your plugins within Chrome, type "about:plugins" into the omnibox. Then to the right, click on the "+ Detail".

Scroll down to see your Quicktime Plugin version.

2565lyt.png

The reason I am asking is as you can see, Chrome says I have an outdated Quicktime Plugin. I followed their link to Apple's Quicktime download page but Apple only offers Quicktime for 10.5 - 10.5.8 ,version 7.6.9 for Leopard.
(http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/)

Anyone able to clear this up?

It says I have to "download a critical security update" for my Quicktime Plugin as you can see from the attachment.

The reason this has come to by attention is because the Facebook chat sound notification does NOT work while using Chrome. I did some googling and found that Quicktime may be the problem for the Facebook chat sound notification to not work.

So if I do indeed have the latest Quicktime player (7.6.6), then why isn't the sound notification for Facebook not working? Maybe because of something else?

Last edited:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The plugin version number (7.6.6) does not correspond to the version number of QuickTime (10.0). You are up to date, must be a glitch in the way it is checking for updates. But, I could be wrong.

bully worm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
So I found a fix for the Facebook sound notification.

I disabled the quicktime player.
Installed vlc web plugin (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html).

Now there's sound notification.

FYI for those that may have this problem.

Edit:

Disabling the quicktime player solves it. No need to download the vlc plugin.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.