Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Figured I would come right to you guys (even though I'm a Macbook PRO owner I know this is the place to ask questions)

My current config is a 1.8 GHZ Core 2 duo (base)
13" model, 128GB SSD, 4GB ram upgrade (is this smart?)
Warranty 1 year...will upgrade later this year.
Free printer..100 cost, 100 rebate..worth it?

Anything else I should add? How will this perform with imovie, iphoto, windows dual boot if I choose to?

also adding pre install of iWork...41 bucks to add with student discount and promo price.

Last edited:

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Figured I would come right to you guys (even though I'm a Macbook PRO owner I know this is the place to ask questions)

My current config is a 1.8 GHZ Core 2 duo (base)
13" model, 128GB SSD, 4GB ram upgrade (is this smart?)
Warranty 1 year...will upgrade later this year.

Anything else I should add? How will this perform with imovie, iphoto, windows dual boot if I choose to?

same config.. iMovie works fine, so does iPhoto.

Machine is really quite fast, for ALOT of people it could easily be a primary machine

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
same config.. iMovie works fine, so does iPhoto.

Machine is really quite fast, for ALOT of people it could easily be a primary machine

Yeah I have the alienware machine for gaming/main system and a Macbook Pro (2008), but ready to sell that soon and use the macbook AIR as a primary laptop.

also getting the VGA adapter for projectors...29 bucks.

Is the magic mouse worth it?

london965

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Magic Mouse

The magic mouse annoys me with right clicking but you can always do control click but everything else is great.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Dont buy iwork! They anticipate a new version of iwork is being released with the mac app store in two days

4gb is good, its not that expensive and you can't add it later. If you are running windows you will probobly want it.

Free printer...may as well take it if you need a printer...what a shame though that printers are disposable once the ink runs out though

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have the same configuration and I use mine as my primary machine. Although I do not use iMovie or iPhoto that often, it is quiet and fast for word processing, making presentations, using iTunes and iChat, and surfing the web simultaneously.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Really? but for 41 bucks?

Just read this printer (99 on apple with rebate its free) isnt great..amazon ratings are mid range...price on amazon is 78 bucks. might skip that.,

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
iWork preinstalled

that looks like the machine Im gonna order...gonna skip accessories I can get from Amazon such as the adapter for VGA etc.

I MAY add the superdrive..think its good to have?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
iWork preinstalled

that looks like the machine Im gonna order...gonna skip accessories I can get from Amazon such as the adapter for VGA etc.

I MAY add the superdrive..think its good to have?

The 4GB probably isn't required, but I don't fault anyone for getting it since you can't add it later. That was my philosophy. I actually got the "Ultimate" with the 2.13GHz processor and 256GB SSD, but the Air is my only Mac. I don't think the 2.13GHz processor adds much in the way of performance.

Hopefully if there is a new iWork coming out in 2 days you'll be able to get a free upgrade. I don't use iWork and haven't updated from the iWork '08 that I purchased with my original MacBook Air. If anything I might be tempted by Keynote '11, but I also have Office 2011.

Your configuration sounds reasonable. You can always get the Superdrive later, or use another USB-powered DVD drive. It's come in handy for me, since the drive sharing feature doesn't work for installing Windows or playing media. You might check Apple Insider to see if there are any other deals you can get. It's past the holiday season with all the specials, but you might get something off what Apple is charging.

abuleban

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I also got the ultimate

The processor speed doesn't matter probably, but I am very happy to have the 4 gig of RAM and the 256 HD, because it really fills up fast!

enjoy!;)

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
iWork preinstalled

Ordered with upgraded shipping..how long does the custom take with the fast shipping option?
Skipped the printer..low ratings on amazon.
gonna order superdrive on amazon.com with some other accessories..have a gift card there.
Returned my ipad for this, happy I upgraded before it was too late.

Anyone use their MBAIR with a projector? Which work well? What connectors/wires do you need?

Last edited:

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Anyone have some kind of wireless card/usb adapter from ATT or Verizon that they use for mobile internet? Gonna need one for my macbook air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anyone have some kind of wireless card/usb adapter from ATT or Verizon that they use for mobile internet? Gonna need one for my macbook air.

I use my Android 2.2-equipped phone for wi-fi tethering.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

A free inkjet printer is like a free puppy. It's only free to get it, the ongoing cost is what gets you. :) I wouldn't let this factor into your decision when monochrome lasers are easily available for well under $100 and per-page toner costs are low.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I passed on the crappy printer. If it was a good one I would have taken in. Rather get my own when I need it. Ordered and now the wait begins! I went with expedited shipping wonder when it will be here??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.