Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I though this might be of interest.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/ipad-2-case-shows-up-at-ces-packing-a-mockup-ipad-2/

dexim-ipad-case-30-gal.jpg

dexim-ipad-case-29-gal.jpg

dexim-ipad-case-32-gal.jpg

Last edited:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Awesome. Can't wait for it's release (hopefully with more RAM)!

A nice leak, Apple will be pissed for sure.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

^so these are from Apple made for people to build cases off of?

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Ooohhhh yeah...................
My kind of iPad!

Hope it has retina display....... but that's only a hope. That display would be quite pricey for such a big device, but then it is smaller, isn't it?

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ooohhhh yeah...................
My kind of iPad!

Hope it has retina display....... but that's only a hope. That display would be quite pricey for such a big device, but then it is smaller, isn't it?

I think the mockup here is the same size as the current iPad. The third picture, I believe, shows the current iPad on top of the supposed iPad 2 case.

Retina display or not, I'm gettin' it. :D

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Doesn't look any thinner. It must be thinner, even if only 100 microns thinner.:)

How does it not look thinner? It looks significantly thinner when looking at the last picture. It looks to be about the same thickness as the side/edge of the current iPad but without the curved part.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Anything that keeps looking more and more like something that came straight from Star Trek is worth it in my book.

Loving it.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
If that's the new iPad, and it's starting to seem more and more likely, then I am gonna have to get myself one :D

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Haven't read the article, but couldn't these have easily been molded out of the supposed case leaks from a few weeks ago? How does this prove anything more than those did.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
How does this prove anything more than those did.

it doesn't.

but more often then not, these cases turn out to be true, but for the time being, its a good indication of what to expect.

(Rumored iPod nano 6th gen and iPod touch 4th gen cases leaked several weeks before they were officially announced by Apple)
130826-6g_nano_4g_touch_cases.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/2...pod-nano-may-gain-smaller-square-form-factor/

Sometimes these cases are a miss

(rumored 3rd generation iPod touch case with a camera hole that was never released)
000326-photo_500.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/0...ouch-cases-with-camera-holes-for-sale-in-u-s/

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Am I the only one who doesnt like the shape of its edges? I think the Orignal Ipad edges look much nicer :S

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Am I the only one who doesnt like the shape of its edges? I think the Orignal Ipad edges look much nicer :S

I'm not sure, but I'm waiting for all the people who have posted on these forums again and again over the past months defending and saying how right it was that the current iPad has a curved back design, to post here, saying how bad this new flack back design is.

I think I'm going to be waiting a long time though ;)

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I agree, I like the flat edges better on the current iPad. That said at this point I guess I'm waiting for the iPad 2 instead of picking up the current one. Hmmm how to kill the time waiting....

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
The entire pad is just as thick as the back middle portion of the current iPad. It's not as tapered as it is now. Obviously they seem to be making room for some powerful pieces in the next gen. Apple wouldn't go thicker just to do it right?!

THIS IS IF THESE CASES ARE DEAD ON

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

^so these are from Apple made for people to build cases off of?

My question too!

Do Apple send out iPad 2-shaped blocks to "trusted" case manufacturers? You would think this would be handled in a far more secure manner.

Maybe the mock-up in the photo above is a case manufacturer's own creation based on leaks from factories.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

No, you are not the only one. I'm not a fan of the tapered edges. It works better with a smaller device that you need hold in one hand, but for a larger device I don't see the benefit and in fact see a drawback holding it with two hands since it would be sticking/pointing into my palms the way I hold it. Won't know for sure until I hold one though...

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Do Apple send out iPad 2-shaped blocks to "trusted" case manufacturers?

I think this blank mockup was made solely by the case manufacturer, likely based on the CAD drawings we saw a couple weeks ago. Whether these CAD drawings are leaked from the factories or purposefully given out to third party manufacturers, I don't know.

In the comparison photo the iPad 2 is obviously slimmer. Measuring off that photo, the iPad 2 looks to be just under a centimetre deep, compared the existing iPad which is 1.34cm. Of course I am the first to admit this is inexact and depends entirely on the person in the photo holding the iPad flat one atop the other. Nonetheless, I thought I would mention it. Also, despite claims the new iPad is to be a couple mm shorter than the current gen, doesn't it look longer than the existing iPad when you look at the comparison photo?

I hope it still fits in the existing dock, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I like the flatter back and curved edges but his just drives the really big iPod comments. Wonder what the texture will be, hate polished like iPod as it is just too slippery especially for something so heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.