Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpovolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I noticed all my movies are in m4v format. If I get an appleTv, my pc needs to be on all the time. Is there anything that can play the content directly from my media server through DLNA/other without accessing the PC first. From what I have read, no

thanks

Cholesterol

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
I was in the same boat as you; didn't want a PC on all the time.

how about the previous generation AppleTV? It's got onboard storage so you don't need a computer on all the time (unless you want constant access to more than 160GB at a time).

mpovolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks. I wish Apple continued with the previous ATV with built in drive. Thye should really have two options, the streamer and one with a hard drive.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I bought an old 1.6Ghz Mac Mini from eBay. It plays everything fine except 1080p. There is a free media interface called Plex that you can install. This combo is way better than ATV.
Yes, it is on all the time, but it can sleep when not being used, plus the Mini is very energy efficient.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought an old 1.6Ghz Mac Mini from eBay. It plays everything fine except 1080p. There is a free media interface called Plex that you can install. This combo is way better than ATV.
Yes, it is on all the time, but it can sleep when not being used, plus the Mini is very energy efficient.

If you don't need the wifi you can install a CrystalHD card and be able to do 1080p, I did that on one of my AppleTV 1st gen's and it works good.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
If you don't need the wifi you can install a CrystalHD card and be able to do 1080p, I did that on one of my AppleTV 1st gen's and it works good.
Wow! Never heard of it before, but a quick google and it sounds awesome!
Just checked eBay and they are about £50. Considering I have been this close to getting a brand new Mac Mini for about 2 months now solely so I can play 1080p you could have just saved me a lot of money!
You are a legend! This is why I love macrumors.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Some investigating reveals that the Crystal HD card isn't supported by Plex (and probably never will be) and while it is supported by XBMC this could be dropped if they change how their player is implemented. Weak!

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Thanks. I wish Apple continued with the previous ATV with built in drive. Thye should really have two options, the streamer and one with a hard drive.

If people had bought the aTV1 there would be no aTV2. However, both are available on Amazon if you want the original model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.