Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I've been a windows user for 20 years and have grown quite attached to the windows style file manager, in fact when I switched to windows 7 i didn't like the changes they made and purchased directory opus which turned out to be a very powerful and customizable file manager. Looking at the stock file manager it doesn't seem like there's a tree style option, the closest thing is the column view but that's no good for me. Is there a third party file manager that I should take a look at?

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/faraz.rasheed/WinExplorer12032005010314AM/Images/WinExp2.jpg

Last edited:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'd also be interested in something like this. I make my way around Finder but I'd love something that looks and behaves like Explorer in Win XP/98/2000.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I'm not sure if it has this option, but maybe you should look into TotalFinder. It is a Finder add-on, but it is extremely customizeable. I used it for a short while so I could have tabs in the Finder windows.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Why not just use the semi-tree style it has built into finder? It doesn't do it on the side but in the actual finder window? It seems like it would be close enough to that and it's free, built in by default.

It's how I use mine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've been a windows user for 20 years and have grown quite attached to the windows style file manager, in fact when I switched to windows 7 i didn't like the changes they made and purchased directory opus which turned out to be a very powerful and customizable file manager. Looking at the stock file manager it doesn't seem like there's a tree style option, the closest thing is the column view but that's no good for me. Is there a third party file manager that I should take a look at?

Try something completely different - Spotlight. If you look for a document, press Command-Space, enter some text from your document, and it comes up almost instantly.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
You mean like this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 456

trevolly

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Dont forget as qwimjim said above you can change the view options within the finder to bring up this view....(highlighted where you would change the view)

I'd say thats as close as the windows screenshot you have posted.

Hope this helps

:)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-05 at 16.25.14.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-01-05 at 16.25.14.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 288

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Found this...

http://www.ragesw.com/products/explorer.html

Looks promising, but it's 25 bucks.

that looks interesting, thanks!

please keep the suggestions coming if you know of any alternatives

Dont forget as qwimjim said above you can change the view options within the finder to bring up this view....(highlighted where you would change the view)

I'd say thats as close as the windows screenshot you have posted.

Hope this helps

:)

what i want is a two pane system, on the left side a tree structure that shows drives and folders, and i can expand multiple folders to show their subfolders always within the left pane. the right pane shows the contents of whatever folder i happen to have highlighted in the left pane with the option to view the files in list form with no details, so when there are a lot of files they would be displayed as multiple columns in the right pane. like so:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/faraz.rasheed/WinExplorer12032005010314AM/Images/WinExp2.jpg

im going to edit my first post to show this photo instead since it's more representative

Last edited by a moderator:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
You can also hold down command and click on the icon at the top of the window for a bread crumb trail. Not very elegant but it works.

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
what i want is a two pane system, on the left side a tree structure that shows drives and folders, and i can expand multiple folders to show their subfolders always within the left pane. the right pane shows the contents of whatever folder i happen to have highlighted in the left pane with the option to view the files in list form with no details, so when there are a lot of files they would be displayed as multiple columns in the right pane. like so:

That's pretty much what Trevolly shows in his pic, aside from the aesthetics differences between Finder (Mac) and Explorer (Windows). Other than that, Finder will go into a multi pane system (off to the right) if you go into items that are folders themselves, whereas Explorer tends to simply go "into" the folder, keeping it a 2 pane system. I know what you mean, I came over from Windows after 20 years+, but don't be afraid to let go, you get used to how the Mac does it. The only thing I don't like is on programs like iTunes/iPhoto Finder doesn't show each file in their libraries (doesn't open it in another pane) - I forget how I go into these if I have to, but it's something like going into the OS X library's folder and there you'll find the iTunes/iPhoto/etc library folders. A bit cumbersome but oh well.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
what about just running parallels, could i keep using my windows file manager (opus directory) in osx that way? that would be amazing if it was seamless :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.