Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Ok everyone. I have a 1 hour movie i created in final cut express and it ended up being around 12gb. I need this to fit on a DVD! Any Recommendations on what I should do?? Im willing to buy any software if i have to in order to compress this to fit on DVD. Im to the point where i dont know what else to try and any help would be very welcome!!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Google DVD Format

Ok everyone. I have a 1 hour movie i created in final cut express and it ended up being around 12gb. I need this to fit on a DVD! Any Recommendations on what I should do?? Im willing to buy any software if i have to in order to compress this to fit on DVD. Im to the point where i dont know what else to try and any help would be very welcome!!
MPG2 is the norm format for DVD. With a 1hr movie that should be less than 4GB at highest possible quality in MPG2.
Where are you reading 12GB? from the edited project or the rendered output file?
you must have rendered it with some other format.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Most DVD authoring software transcodes the input file (your 12gb) file to fit the dvd you burn it to (4GB).

The bigger the file the more compression it will need to fit on a standard dvd, most likely presenting itself as lower quality when viewed from the dvd.

ie. files around the size of the media you are burning it to will remain at a higher quality than files that are much larger than the media.

Can i ask one thing? What resolution is your Movie? Most likely an SD project as they can be very big when in an uncompressed format, but thought i would ask just in case.

If it is an HD resolution then it would only fit on a BluRay (or HD DVD, but they are pretty much dead!).

To achieve the highest quality i recommend dropping it into a program such as iDVD at its full file size (12GB) and leaving it to transcode and burn to the dvd you intend on using (4GB). I wouldnt suggest exporting it in a compressed format as you still need to further compress (transcode) the file to fit on the dvd, causing another generation of quality loss.

Try it with the file you have, i think you will be surprised. Trust me i managed to fit an 8.5GB file onto a 4GB dvd and the movie length was 5 minutes.

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for your alls help! I will try to burn it through idvd and see what happens. Right now it is a quicktime file at 12 gb for 1 hour. I will try out a few of your recommendations and report back!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks for your alls help! I will try to burn it through idvd and see what happens. Right now it is a quicktime file at 12 gb for 1 hour. I will try out a few of your recommendations and report back!
Well check under QT info and see what format its at now. Kinda curious. the quality should be decent at the size you have it but you never know.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008

drop in compressor. use the dvd best quality 60 min preset.

Bring the mpeg2 and audio files into dvd studio pro. Set up the dvd as you want it and click burn.

or open compressor on the launch screen, click burn dvd, drop your file in and hit submit

either will work fine

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
drop in compressor. use the dvd best quality 60 min preset.

Bring the mpeg2 and audio files into dvd studio pro. Set up the dvd as you want it and click burn.

or open compressor on the launch screen, click burn dvd, drop your file in and hit submit

either will work fine
yep its that easy :) but I dont think he's on Final Cut Studio?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In iDVD, in the Project/Project Info dropdown, there's an encoding option. It defaults to Best, but you want Professional. This takes longer to encode, but works pretty well. I recently used it to squeeze 150 minutes of 1080i (source) onto a dual layer DVD. The help menu explains the three encoding options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.