Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
I recently purchased an iPhone 4 with water damage in the hope to fix it, but sadly due to the water being that of a swimming pool, and the detergents that are in the water, this tied with the iphone 4 not being rinsed with clean water right away etc, the corrosion started, and its not pretty.

After the iPhone 4 went for a swim, it was then left completely assembled, and dried out, however as mentioned, the corrosion had already taken hold.

Here's the photos of the damage.

5325837797_891d117326_b.jpg

5325838119_93009df10d_b.jpg

Once I had removed the Logic Board, i rinsed it in warm clean water for 10 minutes, and left to dry, then once dried out fully, I soaked the pcb for 3 hours in Isopropanol in a sealed container to losen up the corrosion so I could see the extent of the damage. This is what it looked like after the soak..

5323935020_57f1de1c4c_b.jpg

I then continued to clean up the area, and sockets seeing as the corrosion hadn't actually eroded the thin copper connectors away, so I thought I may actually try and get this thing back to life.

I brushed gently, and treated the corroded area, removing all corrosion, and now, this is the state of the Logic Board below. Im just waiting on a new replacement battery to arrive, and then I will reassemble the iPhone 4, however, instead of me using the carcass from the original soaked iPhone 4, I have assembled another iphone 4 with new, and second hand parts which I purchased separately.

New parts, White front glass with Retina lcd, home button switch/flexi, white back glass, new 5mp camera, white headphone jack, with volume buttons, and vibrate switch, and white dock connector. Proximity sensor, wifi board, power button, and new speaker/antenna also all replaced with new.

Second hand parts for new build were just the iPhone 4 frame itself.

Here's the logic board now as it stands, waiting for new batter to arrive so I can finish my rebuild.

5326406110_089a3d4c3c_b.jpg

If after everything I have done, and it still don't work, its no biggy for me, I have enjoyed the experience of working on this. What shall I do with the rebuild white iphone 4 should it not work when rebuilt? I will sell it on eBay no doubt, and be honest in my description on what exactly I have done.

I just thought some of you guys may of been interested in seeing these photos, hence me posting them here.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I have a iPod Touch 4G which had a cracked screen, so I bought a new lcd and digitizer off eBay to repair it. During the process I unknowingly tore the belt with soldered connections from the volume control buttons, and ended up giving up - admitting painful defeat. Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.

If that doesn't work, I'll give it to you seeing as you could probably salvage something from it.

cvd

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
I have a iPod Touch 4G which had a cracked screen, so I bought a new lcd and digitizer off eBay to repair it. During the process I unknowingly tore the belt with soldered connections from the volume control buttons, and ended up giving up - admitting painful defeat. Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.

If that doesn't work, I'll give it to you seeing as you could probably salvage something from it.
You should probably lie to more retailers in an attempt to get a refund for **** you broke. After-all, it's what most honest people would do.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Finland

Thanks, I really would appreciate that my friend. Just drop me a PM anytime, and I will be happy to cover postage.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It'd be sad for me, seeing as a digitizer costs 70$ but hey what can I do. I guess these tedious repairs aren't my thing but I still enjoy trying.

If you can get this to work, how much will you have saved as opposed from buying new?

Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.

Nice, dude. That statement makes all of us here at MR really proud. /sarcasm

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
i remember making a thread on here suggesting buying the parts seperately like you have done OP, and got torn to shreds for it!

i really hope you can get it to work so i can laugh at the people who doubted it!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
i remember making a thread on here suggesting buying the parts seperately like you have done OP, and got torn to shreds for it!

i really hope you can get it to work so i can laugh at the people who doubted it!

We were laughing at you because you wanted to buy every piece of the phone and make it yourself, which is not what the OP did.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
We were laughing at you because you wanted to buy every piece of the phone and make it yourself, which is not what the OP did.

no......i wanted to buy the individual parts instead of buying a damaged iPhone. (chassis, logic board etc) (i have spoken to OP previously and got our parts from the same company).

if you go back to my thread you can even see in my original post what i was talking about. I got torn to shreds by people saying it is not possible. it is possible! and the OP will hopefully prove you wrong....

there is no difference as to what the OP is doing and what i planned to do. The parts are there to be bought seperately and individually. the only thing you need to worry about is the logic board.

edit : here let me link you

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1054083/

it is possible

Last edited:

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Try to buy another damaged iphone 4 to make your own frankenIphone4

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Rebuild threads are always interesting.

Don't let the "just buy another one" haters deter you from continuing this thread.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Well, I have tried everything, and sadly the logic board is completely fried. I'm now trying to source another logic board. I have found a seller on ebay that has them, but I maybe better off buying another iPhone 4, a damaged one which would work out the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.