Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I'd like to be able to purchase hardware here too. I know it's an App store but why not sell hardware too? Would be funny to have macsales.com RAM next to Apple RAM for sale and see the price difference. Sell hardware and just call it the new apple store.

ETA: Why can't I buy a blender on here? I mean come on Apple?

ETA2: Where is the home button in the app store? Featured items is the home button?

http://store.apple.com

Or do you want to download more ram to your computer?

It's an APP store. Not a 'everything' store.

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Look at what Pixelmator has done. Moved its operation to the Appstore and now no more upgrades (despite what Pixelmator promised on the website) unless you pay for the app again.

Not sure what you mean by that.
Also curious about the multiple macs thing. I've bought my MBP with iLife 09 installed. Does this mean it will transfer over to my older iMac which still has iLife 08?

So any price comparisons on existing applications? Thanks.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
How is Aperture 3 so much better than iPhoto 11?

More stable and responsive. Naming Faces is easier, more editing options, minimal stupid bugs, no beachballs, smooth scrolling on first run through of photos and events (doesn't need to build thumbnail cache or does it much better than iPhoto), much more reliable and stable importing of photos - just so much better

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Does this new update and store allow full screen apps and pausing/switching or is that Lion?

That's Lion, but iPhoto already has it.

Basically, it's something apps CAN put in now if they want to, but Lion will make it standard by changing the green button to do it everywhere.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Whats the deal with the Application folders??

Has anyone else's now changed? My main folder [from the Home menu of Finder] has most of my applications, but the 'Application' folder from the SideBar has different applications :mad: And the App Store hasn't recognised my iWork!
Isn't that the way it has always been? The Applications in your Home folder are just your locally installed apps for the use only (root->Users->[user]->Applications) but the Applications folder in the sidebar is the system applications folder for everybody (root->Applications).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Read the Pixelmator forum. The version on the Appstore is newer than the last upgrade to be found on the website. Now all activities are moving to the Appstore.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
It's the principle.
There's NOTHING fundamentally preventing access to an app store for 10.5, just they draw the line there.

It was stated at the time that 10.6 was a watershed release for Mac OS. It's been time to move on for a while now, if you're not going to upgrade then you don't really have much of an argument.

And you don't really have any idea of what differences there are between 10.5 and 10.6 which prevent apps being easily back-ported.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Also curious about the multiple macs thing. I've bought my MBP with iLife 09 installed. Does this mean it will transfer over to my older iMac which still has iLife 08?

That's how it will work for apps you buy on the app store from now on. They work with your iTunes log in account, not with a serial number.

That won't affect software you already own, though, so your iLife won't change.

(Although iLife doesn't have a serial number...think about that for a minute. I'm not gonna say any more than that.)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Whats the deal with the Application folders??

Has anyone else's now changed? My main folder [from the Home menu of Finder] has most of my applications, but the 'Application' folder from the SideBar has different applications :mad: And the App Store hasn't recognised my iWork!

Nothing's changed. Mac OS has always been like that.

You've installed some apps to the system Application folder and others to your user account Application folder.

You know when an application asks you if you want to install the app for "All Users on this Computer" or for "Only This User"? "All Users" installs in the systems Application Folder and "This User" installs in your current user's Application folder.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are apps tied to the logged in user? Say my username is zorin, and I buy an app, and another user named sarah logs in, and tries to run the apps I bought; will she be able to run them?

I guess I could just test this but I'm lazy. :)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
What's the difference between the normal update and the combo update? I ran the software update on my mac and it downloaded the normal update only. Seeing as how there is an 800-900mb between the two, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Isn't that the way it has always been? The Applications in your Home folder are just your locally installed apps for the use only (root->Users->[user]->Applications) but the Applications folder in the sidebar is the system applications folder for everybody (root->Applications).

The side bar of the finder windows? That is the same application folder.

Applications and Users are at the same directory level.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It was stated at the time that 10.6 was a watershed release for Mac OS. It's been time to move on for a while now, if you're not going to upgrade then you don't really have much of an argument.

And you don't really have any idea of what differences there are between 10.5 and 10.6 which prevent apps being easily back-ported.

THIS is the biggie. Ok...so he gets the app store on 10.5. How happy will he be when 90% of the apps in there won't run on his machine?

I bet he'd be complaining even louder then.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
ah, the grammar police is here ....

Did it ever come to your mind that not everyone on this forum is a native english speaker? :eek: Don't know for his case, but at least you were able to understand what he meant.

Ummm, I think it's "the grammar police are here ..."

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What's the difference between the normal update and the combo update? I ran the software update on my mac and it downloaded the normal update only. Seeing as how there is an 800-900mb between the two, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.

Normal = You have 10.6.5 and only need what's changed between that and 10.6.6.
Combo = You have something older and need the stuff you've missed by not getting the older updates.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
does anybody know why they decided to not integrate it into iTunes? Would be a one store stop for all the digital shopping needs (and iTunes should anyway be renamed since it is already more than just tunes)

I'd like to see it go quite the other way. Take the music store out of iTunes and stick a Music section in this new store app. Or for that matter, have a separate Music Store app, like on the iPhone.

Then iTunes can get back to being just about your library. Maybe even take the whole iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing aspect out of it and make another program that handles syncing and mobile app management. Then iTunes becomes an ancillary program to that, like iPhoto is to iTunes now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.