Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
In 2007 I bought QB PRO 2007 for MAC.

2 weeks ago I bought a brand new MAC Air and transferred all software including QB 2007 from my old MAC to the new MAC Air.

Upon starting my QB on ther new MAC, I am getting a message to register it, or after 15 runs, it will stop working.

A quick call to customer service should fix the problem, right?

NOPE! Not Unless I pay them $200 more for software I already own!

Here is their explanation:
QB 2007 is not compatible with the new MAC operating system.
The guy in India tells me this, while I have my QB on and am obviously succesfully using OS 10.6.5 COMPATIBLE SOFTWARE!

The only thing not compatible is my money being in my pocket, since Intuit wants to have it.

The operator tells me that I will have to buy new QB software to be able to continue using it beyond the 15 trials. He does not see any other solution, besides me forking over $200 for new QB.

Effectively, I will have to pay again for software that I already own.
WHAT A RIPOFF!!!!!!

INTUIT, please do not tell me about my software being incompatible with the new MAC. It obviously is, since I am using it! You just limited its use to 15 times. Beyond that, its: PAY US AGAIN, SUCKER!

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

I do not need the latest QB 2011 PACKAGE!
I just want to keep on using the software that I paid for.

I know that I am venting my anger here, but this situation is ridiculous.

Any solution to my dilemna??

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Read the licence. Check if it's transferable between computers. Some software is not.

If it is transferable, complain more.

If it is not: suck it up and stop complaining.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
That's Intuit for you. Quickbooks is one of their major cash cows

Look on a brighter side (sorta of way). I had Quickbooks 2009 for Windows. Put it on my Vista. Worked fine.

Got new Windows 7 laptop in late 2009. Tried to install Quickbooks 2009 on Windows 7. Guess what? The freak PDF function in quickbooks was all messed up. It was barely useable.

I had to go by Quickbooks 2010 to work with Windows 7 (pure laptop machine).

And Quickbooks 2010 works very quirky in parallels 6 with Windows 7.

So a 2007 software getting 3 years out of it is pretty good. My software lasted 1 year before it was incompatible.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Did you actually end up paying the full price to make it work?

Called the corporate office and made a lot of noise?

That's Intuit for you. Quickbooks is one of their major cash cows

Look on a brighter side (sorta of way). I had Quickbooks 2009 for Windows. Put it on my Vista. Worked fine.

Got new Windows 7 laptop in late 2009. Tried to install Quickbooks 2009 on Windows 7. Guess what? The freak PDF function in quickbooks was all messed up. It was barely useable.

I had to go by Quickbooks 2010 to work with Windows 7 (pure laptop machine).

And Quickbooks 2010 works very quirky in parallels 6 with Windows 7.

So a 2007 software getting 3 years out of it is pretty good. My software lasted 1 year before it was incompatible.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Did you actually end up paying the full price to make it work?

Called the corporate office and made a lot of noise?

Yes I paid full price (actually got lucky cause Costco had it onsale for $100 instead of $180).

But I need Quickbooks for my small business. If you look at the side of the box on Quickbooks 2009 for windows (it doesn't list Windows 7 as being compatible). Duh, Quickbooks 2009 was released in late 2008 and Windows 7 wasn't released to the public until Q3 2009.

Lots of complaints about it on Intuits web pages.

I know you don't like wasting money on new software but considering you have a 3 year old software, it may be time to upgrade. Cause Intuit really only plans on providing support for their software for only 2 years cycle.

Yes I felt I got screwed on Quickbooks 2009 by forcing me to buy Quickbooks 2010 to be fully Windows 7 compatible. But I have a small business to run and they know businesses will folk over the money for compatible software.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
Sounds like they don't give a rats ass about their current customers.

And then they are all surprised when people start pirating software... *cough* :)

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
tempting..... *cough*

Sounds like they don't give a rats ass about their current customers.

And then they are all surprised when people start pirating software... *cough* :)

n1tut

macrumors regular
What a bunch of quitters. I have used Quicken for my accounts since version one. I have also been a Quicken Beta tester since then, but in 2004, they stopped any further development in the UK, but that version continues to work in fermentum.

If I was faced with that attitude towards Quickbooks, then I would have no hesitation in downloading a pirate version. Why the hell should you not be able to use the version that you paid for if you are happy with it rather than be forced to buy an upgrade. Even Microsoft do not have that attitude, you can use any version of Windows or Office for as long as you wish to, and although you will not get support, why would you need it after years of use?

tut

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
That's one big reason that I quit using Quickbooks. I made the switch to a much more cost effective solution. Although it's not quite a feature rich as Quickbooks, it integrates with my Mac much better, is much more lightweight and does everything that I need it to. Depending on your business needs, there might be an alternative out there that will do the job.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Exactly that. It does not work on my new Macbook Air. Not Apple's fault, but current QB users wanting to continue use it on the new Air, should know what to expect, dont you think??

what does this have to do with a macbook air?

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
but it wouldn't work on any additional computer. It's not air specific. Should be in OS X Software category or something.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Correct. Its not Air specific. Its 10.6.5 OS specific.

For my Air though, its Air specific.
It will also be specific for any new Air buyers or other 10.6.5 users.

So what? Is there a problem with me posting it in the AIR forum?

but it wouldn't work on any additional computer. It's not air specific. Should be in OS X Software category or something.

MacMarkus

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
workaround for quickbooks 2007 mac not working with 10.6

Here is a workaround for Quickbooks 2007 not working properly with OS 10.6. I partitioned my HD using Disk Utilities (that took a half hour or more on my iMac core 2 duo's 250 GB HD), and then installed 10.5 (lower should also work) on the new partition, which is now dedicated to quickbooks 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.