Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I loved Tweetie and used it even though it wasn't updated in forever. As soon as I saw Twitter for Mac was available, I downloaded it and began using it.

This is the biggest piece of ****. I can't believe it took over a year to get to this. Stripped away features, made it look like **** and so un-Mac-like.

Why can't we get a decent Mac Twitter app?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I'd love to follow you on Twitter. I can only imagine all the funky **** that comes out of your keyboard on a regular basis. :D

I guess the occasional gem crosses my Twitter. :D

You could always go back to using tweetie...

As I likely will. The only problem there is it's kind of old and is lacking features. How they took the best Twitter app and turned out this piece of turd, after all that time is beyond me.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I loved Tweetie and used it even though it wasn't updated in forever. As soon as I saw Twitter for Mac was available, I downloaded it and began using it.

This is the biggest piece of ****. I can't believe it took over a year to get to this. Stripped away features, made it look like **** and so un-Mac-like.

Why can't we get a decent Mac Twitter app?

You walked right into it, frigtard.

Attachments

• images.jpg.jpeg
    images.jpg.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,036

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I used to love Tweetie also but it fell behind in many features, apparently because they were waiting to release it as Twitter for Mac. That said, I find echofon to be a better app across all devices as it syncs, there is autocomplete, Plixi support, etc.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
What, exactly, are you doing with Twitter that requires all these "missing features" and gets you so worked up about not having them?

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I suppose it does suck for some. But for me? It posts tweets and shows me those from the people I'm following. I suppose I could give it 1 star because it doesn't do my laundry and make me dinner, but oh well...maybe the next update.

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
Does anyone know if you can add a 'new tweet' button to the app? either below the other on screen buttons or on the bottom right corner as on the iphone and ipad version?

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
What, exactly, are you doing with Twitter that requires all these "missing features" and gets you so worked up about not having them?

@_username_ autocomplete would be nice for a start. The official iPhone client does it, no reason the desktop shouldn't.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have the Twitter app on my iPhone--and don't use a special app for Twitter on my iMac. I guess I am not much of a Tweeter since I don't see the need for anything more. :confused:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
They seem to have removed manually shortening URLs, or choosing which URL shortening service you want to use. There's no New Tweet button, which I'm sure will piss people off. And I think a lot of people were wishing for it to sync with the iOS Twitter app, so that wherever you leave off when reading your tweets on the desktop will be where the iOS client picks up, and vice versa. It's basically missing a lot of features that other Twitter clients have (and that it had itself in version 1), which is surprising considering that this application came straight from the mothership.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I haven't used it much due to classes all day. But I don't see how the old one is any better than the new one.

If anything it's mostly a sidegrade with more features. Meh. I'm curious to see Twitteriffic 4 for the Mac. We'll see if it's anything worthwhile. I've been mostly happy with the web version.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
The two biggest complaints I have with Twitter for Mac is that the UI is ridiculously small - even on my 15" 1440x900 MBP. Besides that, I see no reason why bit.ly support was removed, that's a little silly. However I have no allegiance to bit.ly, so I'm not heartbroken over it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
They seem to have removed manually shortening URLs, or choosing which URL shortening service you want to use. ... And I think a lot of people were wishing for it to sync with the iOS Twitter app, so that wherever you leave off when reading your tweets on the desktop will be where the iOS client picks up, and vice versa.
These are two that I'd like to see as well.

There's no New Tweet button, which I'm sure will piss people off.
There is:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 3.59.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 3.59.58 PM.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,839
  • Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 4.03.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 4.03.39 PM.png
    66 KB · Views: 1,856

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
They seem to have removed manually shortening URLs, or choosing which URL shortening service you want to use. There's no New Tweet button, which I'm sure will piss people off. And I think a lot of people were wishing for it to sync with the iOS Twitter app, so that wherever you leave off when reading your tweets on the desktop will be where the iOS client picks up, and vice versa. It's basically missing a lot of features that other Twitter clients have (and that it had itself in version 1), which is surprising considering that this application came straight from the mothership.

I was about to post all my gripes but you hit most of them. I'd add, font is hard to read and not dark enough, I prefer my avatar appear on the right for my tweets as Tweetie did, the windowless look looks terrible.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
... the windowless look looks terrible.
I think you're going to be disappointed with the way apps are headed especially because of Lion. Personally, I like it, even though Aqua is clean and unified (for the most part). It's hard to make an innovated GUI when you're boxed in by Apple's HIG.

Matthew.

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
Having Twitter scroll to the top when new tweets arrive seems to break the notifications for any tweets that are loaded in the active timeline. For example, when viewing the All Tweets Timeline - or indeed if Twitter is hidden or the window closed while that particular timeline was being viewed, which is where this bug is really an issue - with this preference enabled, tweets that are loaded into that timeline won't trigger notifications.

Granted, I really like the other improvements made - namely the addition of native re-tweeting, multi-touch gestures and type anywhere to compose - but given the time the developers have had on this, I'm surprised this managed to slip through unnoticed. And while I'd also like to see the addition of many of the features mentioned in this thread, I'd much prefer to see the features that are already present to work correctly first, as well as the implementation of some other features from the iOS versions of the app that have yet to be seen in the Mac version.

Last edited:

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
It is not just that Twitter for Mac that sucks ... IMO, it is Twitter period.

Has anyone ever sent or read even one meaningful Tweet? :cool:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It is not just that Twitter for Mac that sucks ... IMO, it is Twitter period.

Has anyone ever sent or read even one meaningful Tweet? :cool:

I follow the NFL and College Football guys from ESPN and enjoy their info
I'm rarely on Twitter, but when I am, they get the news first and fresh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.