Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
is it possible to run intel apps on a powerpc through some magical way or a way to get around the giant X through an incompatible program on a ppc?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Virtual PC worked ok for lightweight Windows apps. When I last used it for some amateur radio logging apps, I ran Win2k.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
powerpcs are dieing and its kinda sad cause new mac cost alot man.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.

I'd rather classify them as zombies more precisely, they are still ticking around, aren't they?

Apple supported PPC long enough after the transition I think. It is a business decision after all, and my Mini would probably've choked on a more recent release than Leopard anyway. Not to say that it isn't horribly annoying with several interesting third-party applications only supporting Intel, 'cause it totally is...

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
its just some apps from adobe for example ,photoshop cs5 needs on a windows pc just a pentium 4 which is a single core processor and windows xp service pack 3 , so it just needs a computer from 10 years ago ,not saying it will fly under that hardware , but it can be installed,

but it needs a intel multicore processor under OSX and at least 10.5.7 ,
so it will run on a hackintoshed netbook with 1,66 ghz atom processor with 1 gb ram , but it will not on a PowerMac G5 quad 2.5 ghz with 16gb ram from 2006

and no it was not the software industries decision to abandon ppc it was Apples decision to declare the PPC architecture as useless for modern computing

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Most of the computer running PPC are relatively useless for using as main computer because they are getting dated. But they can still be used for a specific purpose like a server or file storage if someone would want to keep one. Don't get me wrong I love my old macs but yet again they are old and 5-6 years ago the newest one came out and 5 years is a long time in the electronics industry.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ilove my old Mac's too , its the design that i really love , for me even a eMac is just a beauty and a iMac G4 is a peace of art and the iMac G3 make you smile whenever you look at them , even the early intel iMac in this nice white casing make you feel happy , the modern grey/ black cases make me feel sad
and i came to the point now where i say why should i care about modern software , its not worth spending money for something that that only runs on hardware that makes you sad :(

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
its just some apps from adobe for example ,photoshop cs5 needs on a windows pc just a pentium 4 which is a single core processor and windows xp service pack 3 , so it just needs a computer from 10 years ago ,not saying it will fly under that hardware , but it can be installed,

but it needs a intel multicore processor under OSX and at least 10.5.7 ,
so it will run on a hackintoshed netbook with 1,66 ghz atom processor with 1 gb ram , but it will not on a PowerMac G5 quad 2.5 ghz with 16gb ram from 2006

and no it was not the software industries decision to abandon ppc it was Apples decision to declare the PPC architecture as useless for modern computing
Thats exactly how I feel about it. PowerPC is quite capable of running the software thats out today. I'm using my Powermac instead of my MacBook Pro as my primary setup and I don't feel like I'm missing any performance at all. Why so many developers have decided to start coding Intel only software instead of Universal is crap. While I don't think its necessary to support legacy hardware forever, why the heck does the Pentium 4 see more love than the G4 and G5 which are far superior. Windows XP is a decade old and for some reason Adobe doesn't have a problem supporting that old ****.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
powerpc is amazing and very durable but people are moving on and ppc is dead. i myself are a contributor, i got a new mac(as a gift) and i dont use my ppc anymore because of various problems, but if not for those problems i would use it all the time.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
is it possible to run intel apps on a powerpc through some magical way or a way to get around the giant X through an incompatible program on a ppc?

What are you trying to do with these intel apps you want to run? Tell us and we can give you PowerPC alternatives.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
PPC, Dead?

"The news of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - so goes the old Mark Twain quote, and the same can be said for PowerPC. As My mac pro sleeps at nite, I am typing this right now on my G4 1.67 Hi-Res PowerBook.. So long as a PowerPC mac can do what you want it to do, despite what Apple says, it will never by obsolete.

Remember that! With that said, the return of my G5 Quad is happening! It just got shipped out today.. Feast your eyes on this setup:

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz 4x2 PowerPC G5
250 and 500 GB SATA II Hard drives
256MB ATI Radeon x1900
4GB memory, for now
fast 22x super drive

This machine will be used as my everyday desktop machine, closely networked as a file server with my mac pro to host files for all my systems.

PowerPC dead? I think not.. Intel and PPC should be friends, not enemies.

We have one father: Apple, but Apple said to PowerPC - "You are old enough, my son, Go out into the world and let your younger brother Intel stay with us"..

Thats how I see PowerPC now.. Its on its own, where as the younger brother, Intel is being raised.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
i agree with Joshuarocks, ALL APPS SHOULD BE MADE UNIVERSAL SO PEOPLE DONT NEED TO KEEP UPGRADING................but then again, its business for apple, by making intel only apps, in a way they force people to upgrade which = $$$$$$ for them.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
i agree with Joshuarocks, ALL APPS SHOULD BE MADE UNIVERSAL SO PEOPLE DONT NEED TO KEEP UPGRADING................but then again, its business for apple, by making intel only apps, in a way they force people to upgrade which = $$$$$$ for them.

There is a lot more to applications than universal binaries. If an app is written for snow leopard and uses snow leopard specific APIs, then a universal binary would be useless as it would not run on a ppc machine. The APIs can change quite a bit between releases of the OS, and apps written for version xx.Y are not guaranteed to run on xx.Y-1.

rm19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
There is a lot more to applications than universal binaries. If an app is written for snow leopard and uses snow leopard specific APIs, then a universal binary would be useless as it would not run on a ppc machine. The APIs can change quite a bit between releases of the OS, and apps written for version xx.Y are not guaranteed to run on xx.Y-1.

yeah in a sense its a business trick for them again. Create OS specific apps --> Ppl will have to upgrade if they want those --> people buy it --> $$$$$$ for apple.

But i do agree with you, thats very true!!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
yeah in a sense its a business trick for them again. Create OS specific apps --> Ppl will have to upgrade if they want those --> people buy it --> $$$$$$ for apple.

But i do agree with you, thats very true!!

Huh? In some cases, things only work on Intel machines. It's not as simple as there just being a button that needs to be pressed to make a PowerPC application...

PowerPC processors work very differently. For math heavy applications (and games), there are very sound reasons why it may be very difficult to make a PowerPC version.

It's not just a business decision.

In addition, Apple's developer tools no longer work with PowerPC. This is not actually a business decision. The licensing changed on the existing compiler and they had to drop it.

josemedeiros007

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
San Jose, California

Yes, you can, some one wrote an emulator to do that.
" Qemu-Darwin-user allows Mac OS X/Intel Applications to run on Mac OS X/PowerPC. It's conceptually similar to doing the opposite of Rosetta and was therefore referred to as "Attesor". "
http://wiki.winehq.org/QemuDarwin

I just found this in a Google search.
Running Intel Mac applications on PowerPC Mac"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEcGwkgHU8A
I learned a long time ago working in IT for IBM, Intel, LSi Logic, etc, that just about any thing can be done in the software with in reason, as long as you have people with the talent dedicated to making it happen.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yes, you can, some one wrote an emulator to do that.
" Qemu-Darwin-user allows Mac OS X/Intel Applications to run on Mac OS X/PowerPC. It's conceptually similar to doing the opposite of Rosetta and was therefore referred to as "Attesor". "
http://wiki.winehq.org/QemuDarwin

I just found this in a Google search.
Running Intel Mac applications on PowerPC Mac"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEcGwkgHU8A
I learned a long time ago working in IT for IBM, Intel, LSi Logic, etc, that just about any thing can be done in the software with in reason, as long as you have people with the talent dedicated to making it happen.

Hmmm, if legit, further development of this could make it a very useful tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.