Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Glasgow area, Scotland
I seem to be having an issue with the MAS. It can't decide whether I need to update Angry Birds or not. I bought it today (7th jan) and downloaded what I thought was the latest version 1.0.1 but when I re-opened the MAS it said I had to update it.

I downloaded the update but again when I opened the MAS it said I had to update angry birds. I tried dragging the app to the trash and re-downloading but I get the same results.

I have also noticed that if I click off onto other MAS tabs then back to updates it changes its mind, so if it had been telling me that I needed to update Angry Birds it says all my apps are up to date and vice versa

Any ideas?

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I seem to be having an issue with the MAS. It can't decide whether I need to update Angry Birds or not. I bought it today (7th jan) and downloaded what I thought was the latest version 1.0.1 but when I re-opened the MAS it said I had to update it.

I downloaded the update but again when I opened the MAS it said I had to update angry birds. I tried dragging the app to the trash and re-downloading but I get the same results.

I have also noticed that if I click off onto other MAS tabs then back to updates it changes its mind, so if it had been telling me that I needed to update Angry Birds it says all my apps are up to date and vice versa

Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue. I've "updated" Angry Birds three times now. Maybe the update is downloading the old version, so that it never actually updates?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i keep on getting an update notification for Twitter after already updating. how do you fix it?

tried deleting all of the App Stores files, uninstalling Twitter and rebooting, but didnt work.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Try leaving it for a few hours and trying again. It could just be the App Store needs time to sort out files, and is currently sending you the wrong one.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
I'm getting this same problem with twitter. Keeps wanting me to update even though I have the most recent version. I tried deleting and reinstalling and it's still doing it. Super annoying because every time I open the app store I have to go update twitter just so I don't have the notification in my dock. Been doing this for weeks.

Mr. Imperial

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Hamilton, ON
spotlight

bump...

still getting this with the twitter 2.0.2 and mac app store... months later

anyone have solutions?

After a ton of research on this, and having the same problem, I found a solution that works for me. You just need to rebuild your Spotlight index. This is the article I found that solved my problem. No more stupid red notices for me!

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I suspect it's because the Mac app store has been a piece of trash all along and you all are just now discovering it. The apo has been all but useless to me until recently because it never would detect updates for apps I had installed through it. I opened it up the other day though and was shocked to dicover it reported several updates for me. So it seems to randomly fix and break itself.

coolrob335

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
I've been having the same problem with twitter for a while now. It's so annoying :mad:
Even fully removing and reinstalling twitter didn't solve the problem, as 5 minutes later... UPDATE

Last edited:

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Sorry for bumping this thread but I'm so fed up with the Appstore. I don't even have Angry Birds installed on this machine. I do a Spotlight check and there is no trace of Angry Bird except for web queries. It's a fresh install so no Angry Bird but yet Appstore says I need an update.

Get stuffed!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Leading cause of this?

You have a pirated app on your computer that's using the MAS_Receipt file for the app that keeps claiming it needs to be updated.

Here's the scenario. We'll use Final Cut as an example.

You have a pirated version of Final Cut on your computer. In order for it to work, it needs to see a MAS_Receipt. So you download a Free app, and Twitter and Angry Birds seem to be the favorites, and you put the MAS_Receipt for Angry Birds where the Final Cut one should be. All is happy.

Now Final Cut has an update. It looks to the MAS_Receipt, and says, I need an update, oh, I'm Angry Birds. So flag goes the Angry Birds update in MAS. Only updating doesn't work, or only works until the next poll.

Now, you probably didn't do this, you probably never copied that pirated app in just like the .nfo file said. Therefore this is all new to you. And of course you paid for all your software.. so that can't be right :p

Oh, FYI,it can also happen even if you don't have the app installed, just parked on an external drive and Spotlight sees it. In which case excluding it from Spotlight and reindexing has been known to make it go away :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.