Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Posting a quick mini review of the new prototype plastic/hybrid back (I'll do a full review when I have more time):

As I stated earlier in the thread, my new prototype plastic back was set to arrive today, which it did. I was expecting a rough "proof of concept" product, as Jacob had told me not to be "too hard on him", since he just quickly ran this one for me this past Monday so that I could just do some signal testing with it. Well...I can say that if this is "rough", the final product will be amazing! The fit and finish of this new plastic back could be sold right now. Everything lines up perfectly, cutouts are great, and it mates up perfectly with the aluminum front half. If I were to be EXTREMELY critical, I'd say that the only way it might could be any better would be with a quick final buff or brush, but again, this piece is straight off the mill, and I'd be more than happy to buy it just like this. The color/finish is milled black plastic, and closely resembles the finish on the plastic part of the Atomic Hybrid (from what I've seen in high res pics, as I don't own an Atomic).

Initial thoughts regarding reception/performance:
As I said when I started this thread, the e13ctron all aluminum case has been one of my top 2 all aluminum cases, so I've always had great performance with the all aluminum one. I've been able to use the all aluminum version everywhere I go, even into very low reception areas (-113dB and less), and never drop a call or lose data or GPS. I've only noticed a 6-8dB loss AT MOST with the all aluminum one. This plastic back hybrid cuts that even more. In my office (interior-most room of work...brick and metal building), I'm seeing -83 to -85dB on average with the plastic back installed, and without a case at all I see -81dB to -84dB in my office. This is just preliminary, but I can almost always gauge how reception is going to be just by performance inside my office.

As far as initial GPS observations go, with my all aluminum e13ctron on, I usually get GPS lock in around 10-15 seconds. With the hybrid on, my first (and only, so far) two attempts have both locked me in 4 and 5 seconds. I obviously plan on doing more testing of this once I leave work and can travel on some test routes I use to compare cases.

I still have to fully test wifi and bluetooth, but so far at work, I'm seeing no noticable wifi degradation, but I don't experience that with the all aluminum version either, so I'm not really expecting it here.

My biggest surprise was the prototype "black chrome" front case that Jacob sent me with this back piece to test. So far, this is the only one in this finish that they've sent out. It's absolutely gorgeous! The quick pics I took below don't do it justice, and I'm going to work on getting more that better show it's quality later on. This is a test piece that Jacob has run, and from what he's told me, they have done it in a mirror chrome as well. If they get a strong demand for them they will offer it for sale. Let me just say that it's far and away the most beautiful finish I've seen. If you can't tell from the rather crude quick pics below, it's a "smoke gray" mirror finish chrome (the last photo with it on the bricks seems to show it's finish better than any). You guys need to start emailing e13ctron now telling them how you want this finish so he will offer it for sale!

img1488gp.jpg

img1493a.jpg

img1489am.jpg

img1496i.jpg

img1491x.jpg

img1499i.jpg

img1498wm.jpg

img1500f.jpg

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
That back piece looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting it with the polished clear aluminum front

I think that would look great as well. And yeah, the back piece fits in even better than I expected, even with it being plastic. Once the case is together, it's hard to tell that it's even plastic at all. The case is very rigid...just as rigid as the all aluminum case. I think this design is better than the Atomic Hybrid due to the fact that you have the all aluminum front mating up with the plastic back all along the perimeter of the phone, with 6 attachment points (the screws). The aluminum front braces the plastic back, and you get no deflection or "bowing out" like many have reported with the plastic side of the Atomic Hybrid. And remember that this piece I'm showing is just a preliminary prototype, and the final design with have the plastic back wrapping all the way around the iPhone's antenna, with the front aluminum half attaching to that.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Posting a quick mini review of the new prototype plastic/hybrid back (I'll do a full review when I have more time):

As I stated earlier in the thread, my new prototype plastic back was set to arrive today, which it did. I was expecting a rough "proof of concept" product, as Jacob had told me not to be "too hard on him", since he just quickly ran this one for me this past Monday so that I could just do some signal testing with it. Well...I can say that if this is "rough", the final product will be amazing! The fit and finish of this new plastic back could be sold right now. Everything lines up perfectly, cutouts are great, and it mates up perfectly with the aluminum front half. If I were to be EXTREMELY critical, I'd say that the only way it might could be any better would be with a quick final buff or brush, but again, this piece is straight off the mill, and I'd be more than happy to buy it just like this. The color/finish is milled black plastic, and closely resembles the finish on the plastic part of the Atomic Hybrid (from what I've seen in high res pics, as I don't own an Atomic).

Initial thoughts regarding reception/performance:
As I said when I started this thread, the e13ctron all aluminum case has been one of my top 2 all aluminum cases, so I've always had great performance with the all aluminum one. I've been able to use the all aluminum version everywhere I go, even into very low reception areas (-113dB and less), and never drop a call or lose data or GPS. I've only noticed a 6-8dB loss AT MOST with the all aluminum one. This plastic back hybrid cuts that even more. In my office (interior-most room of work...brick and metal building), I'm seeing -83 to -85dB on average with the plastic back installed, and without a case at all I see -81dB to -84dB in my office. This is just preliminary, but I can almost always gauge how reception is going to be just by performance inside my office.

As far as initial GPS observations go, with my all aluminum e13ctron on, I usually get GPS lock in around 10-15 seconds. With the hybrid on, my first (and only, so far) two attempts have both locked me in 4 and 5 seconds. I obviously plan on doing more testing of this once I leave work and can travel on some test routes I use to compare cases.

I still have to fully test wifi and bluetooth, but so far at work, I'm seeing no noticable wifi degradation, but I don't experience that with the all aluminum version either, so I'm not really expecting it here.

My biggest surprise was the prototype "black chrome" front case that Jacob sent me with this back piece to test. So far, this is the only one in this finish that they've sent out. It's absolutely gorgeous! The quick pics I took below don't do it justice, and I'm going to work on getting more that better show it's quality later on. This is a test piece that Jacob has run, and from what he's told me, they have done it in a mirror chrome as well. If they get a strong demand for them they will offer it for sale. Let me just say that it's far and away the most beautiful finish I've seen. If you can't tell from the rather crude quick pics below, it's a "smoke gray" mirror finish chrome (the last photo with it on the bricks seems to show it's finish better than any). You guys need to start emailing e13ctron now telling them how you want this finish so he will offer it for sale!

OMG will it ever end. This case is about perfect. I have to have one.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
OMG will it ever end. This case is about perfect. I have to have one.

Ha!:D I've followed your posts throughout all the aluminum case threads (Vapor, etc), and from what I've read from you, I thought this case might appeal to you! :D Email Jacob and tell him you want it, so he'll get cracking on getting it into production.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
they BETTER start selling this case. ive already email them pretty much demanding they put them out for sale :p . that black/grey chrome front is absolutely gorgeous. i hope they release ASAP, i want one right now

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I think I am one of a few that have some trouble with reception and gps with the e13 case because my location is so bad. I emailed jacob about this case but have not yet heard back but I would love to see if this would work in my area because I have not had 1 yet that would. But I love the look and feel of my original e13, I would love to give this one a shot. Hope he replies soon because I think it looks great.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

scelzifan said:
I think I am one of a few that have some trouble with reception and gps with the e13 case because my location is so bad. I emailed jacob about this case but have not yet heard back but I would love to see if this would work in my area because I have not had 1 yet that would. But I love the look and feel of my original e13, I would love to give this one a shot. Hope he replies soon because I think it looks great.

I'm sure he will reply soon. Does it make Ur phone unusable? Or searching? I have one bar at work and home without case and with case.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm sure he will reply soon. Does it make Ur phone unusable? Or searching? I have one bar at work and home without case and with case.

He'll probably email back later tonight. I know he's at CES today, and last time I talked to him earlier he was heading back in the convention center for a bit, but said that he was getting tons of emails already.

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010

Well the area where I live I only get 1 or 2 bars so sometimes it says searching but not very often. Most of my issues are gps issues but I guess we will see. I sent him an email an hour ago or so but I haven't heard back. I love the design and look but I just want my gps to work all the time and be correct.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Well the area where I live I only get 1 or 2 bars so sometimes it says searching but not very often. Most of my issues are gps issues but I guess we will see. I sent him an email an hour ago or so but I haven't heard back. I love the design and look but I just want my gps to work all the time and be correct.

These still aren't ready for sale just yet. Like I said earlier, this is just a concept/prototype right now, and isn't the final design. It's looking like 2-3 weeks at the earliest before they get the final design production going.

does jacob have a seperate email? i emailed info@e13ctron.com about the new plastic case. was that the right one?

That email should get you to him. As far as I know he regularly checks that email.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina

scelzifan said:

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010

To be honest at times it does. But not very often but it does affect my gps also at times. Its still the best I have used but there are times where I get no signal or my gps is off unless I go back to the apple bumper or naked.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
To be honest at times it does. But not very often but it does affect my gps also at times. Its still the best I have used but there are times where I get no signal or my gps is off unless I go back to the apple bumper or naked.

I thought you used Atomic's hybrid??

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Ha!:D I've followed your posts throughout all the aluminum case threads (Vapor, etc), and from what I've read from you, I thought this case might appeal to you! :D Email Jacob and tell him you want it, so he'll get cracking on getting it into production.

Done!!! I was pretty emphatic about my appreciation of this design and my desire to have one as soon as possible.

I mentioned your user name Chris. Thanks

Here's a copy:

I've been following aluminum cases since before they were out, when they were only a rendering. I've followed all the signal problems through all variations on the Macrumors site. A member called Chris 975d did a first impression review of your prototype for polished chrome front with a Delren back. I have to say this design has the greatest potential of any I've seen or tried by far and I've purchased four different designs. Please let me know if one or more can be available to me. or let me know the minute they are available. I like the silver or smoked chrome finish over black Delren. I will purchase one or more.

Thanks for your attention to this and your continued excellent design.

Regards

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Sounds like some of their team are off at the CES. Now THAT would be fun!

Yeah, I know Jacob is there at least. And everyone be patient with him, I know he'll get back to all of you on your emails. He always does, even when I email him near midnight. I know he had a meeting to attend at CES, and I'm sure he'll be replying as soon as he's done with that today.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
Be Patient people. If I was in Vegas right now , I wouldn't be answering any phone calls or Emails :D
They already stated on there website that there going to be at CES.
I have been to CES a few years ago and that wasn't the only Convention going on. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.