Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Does anyone here own a Gild Designs "Solid" iPhone 4 Case? http://www.gilddesign.com/goods.html I want one, but I'm concerned about the camera flash being effected due to the small space cut out around it. Most of the other iphone cases with a small opening around the flash end up having issues.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
Does anyone here own a Gild Designs "Solid" iPhone 4 Case? http://www.gilddesign.com/goods.html I want one, but I'm concerned about the camera flash being effected due to the small space cut out around it. Most of the other iphone cases with a small opening around the flash end up having issues.

That's the first I've seen of those...dig the checkerboard patterned one, but for a hundred bucks +....plus crazy shipping I'll wager, I'm not sure I'd chance it.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
That's the first I've seen of those...dig the checkerboard patterned one, but for a hundred bucks +....plus crazy shipping I'll wager, I'm not sure I'd chance it.

One of my best friends is from Japan and some of his friends are visiting in a few weeks, so they will be picking it up for me if I decide to get one. Unfortunately none of his friends have the new iphone, so they can't check tell me how good these cases really are.

There is a video of them doing a drop test here. It seems to be very solid. Additional pictures of other case setups are on their blogs page.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
One of my best friends is from Japan and some of his friends are visiting in a few weeks, so they will be picking it up for me if I decide to get one. Unfortunately none of his friends have the new iphone, so they can't check tell me how good these cases really are.

There is a video of them doing a drop test here. It seems to be very solid. Additional pictures of other case setups are on their blogs page.

Hell I'd say give it a whirl then - if the hundred bucks won't break the bank, then you have nothing to lose - I'll be very interested to see how it goes: those cases are pretty unique to say the least.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I really want to try the Gild design. Seems like it wouldn't affect reception too much. Wonder if I can buy from this site or what the return policy is.

nles

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
ANyone saw this aluminium case before?

Design quite dull though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udwqpYXaTcM

240_210124_e0cdc4105680e60.jpg

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-1156011.html

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
It looks nice, but all of these aluminum case signal issues are starting to bum me out.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Does anyone have an update on the Fusion Cases? Or are they still under production? These cases seem like they might avoid some of the signal problems, because the sides are all open.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Copying and pasting this from the Fusionwerkz RAW thread I just created:

I received my Fusionwerkz Raw-C and Raw-O today via USPS, and have been trying it out as far as reception, GPS, and wifi is concerned.

First of all, let me say that Fusionwerkz has the best unboxing experience yet! I've purchased the Exovault, Element Vapor, and Alumacase aluminum cases, and this was by far the biggest (pleasant) surprise when I opened the box. First of all, my 2 cases came in a Fusionwerkz silver tin, with foam padding inside. Each came with a small bag that includes the hex wrench, and 2 extra screws per case. There is a silver decal with each Raw case that shows the serial number of the case as well.

Pics:
img1431g.jpg

img1432x.jpg

img1435t.jpg

img1434wl.jpg

Inside this, each case came in its own felt drawstring pouch for storage when not in use.

Pic:
img1433m.jpg

I purchased the Raw-C (closed back) in clear anodizing, and the Raw-O (open back) in gunmetal. So far, I like the looks of the Raw-O better, as it still shows off the back of the phone. It's a symetrical design, and looks like it could be installed either way, hex heads facing up, or hex heads facing toward the back of the phone if you didn't want to see them when looking at the screen of the phone.

Pics: (I have a black Lucky Labs Spectra wrap installed on my antenna, so that is why my antenna appears black in these pics)
img1436y.jpg

img1437i.jpg

img1438ig.jpg

img1440g.jpg

img1444jj.jpg

img1441m.jpg

img1442e.jpg

img1443k.jpg

img1449s.jpg

From the above pictures, you should be able to see that each case is lined with VERY thick felt to keep the case from coming into contact with the phone. This is the best insulation I've seen in an aluminum case so far. I would feel very safe that my phone would not be scratched by this case at all.

Here's the question that I'm sure a lot of people are wanting to know..."how's the case on reception, GPS, etc?" Well...so far, this case shows almost no impact on my reception whatsoever. In fact, the RAW-O (open back, the gunmetal one above) shows NO impact on reception. Before I put the case on (naked phone), I was reading -85dB in my office. After installing the RAW-O, it didn't change at all. Compare this with installing a Vapor, which takes it to around -100dB, Alumacase which takes it to -94dB, and Exovault which takes it to -91dB. The RAW-C (closed back, shiny aluminum one above), only knocked my reception down to -88dB.

Pic of reception with RAW-C installed:

img1447f.jpg

As far as GPS, no noticeable hit on location lock at all. As soon as I walked outside with each case installed, my position was locked in less than 10 seconds. No noticeable hit on wifi whatsoever either. Again, these are early observations, but they are much, much better than any of the other aluminum cases I own/have owned. I will continue to update all of these areas as I continue to test the case.

Overall, this is by far the best performing aluminum case so far (for me). I love the gunmetal RAW-O. The finish on it is superb, and is as good as my Element Vapor or Exovault was (I consider these two cases to have the best finish of the other aluminum cases). The finish on the back piece of my clear anodized RAW-C isn't quite as good as I would like it. Some of the brushed marks aren't uniform or all in the same direction. I'll email Fusion about this to see if there is anything that can be done about it. But, the RAW-O knocks my Exovault EXO5 out of top place as my choice of my favorite, and best performing aluminum case. The total package is great..from customer service and communication (the owner has emailed me back within 10 minutes, even at midnight some nights!), presentation, and actual case performance.

KKramer

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
I have couple of questions about Vapor:

• I have registered about 5 weeks ago and did not get any "invitation". 2 weeks ago I got email from them with more promotion for their cases that you can't buy! Didn't find "link to shopping cart" in that email. How long is waiting time for Vapor "invitation email" really?
  • From their website it's not clear how does Vapor fits onto phone without scratching it. Do you apply front and back screen protector film to isolate case form glass? Does it require to have front and back protector films? (I would hate that)

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've come to some final conclusions for me after purchasing four aluminum cases, The Element Vapor, Karas Kustoms, Casemate Jett and the Blade.

The Vapor worked well losing less than one bar. I sent the Jett back without using it because of reports it scratched the phone. I installed the Blade. It immediately lost three bars. I put the Vapor back on and to my dismay it lost three bars. I taped the inside of the blade and lost less than 1 bar. however if I shifted the phone by pushing it in the case it dropped three bars, which showed me that when metal to metal contact happened at least two additional bars were lost. When I put the vapor back on I was able to make the signal change from more than tree lost bars to less than one lost bar by shifting the phone around inside the case. I shifted the phone by pushing on both faces or by plugging in accessories with a little force.

My conclusion is surrounding the antenna with aluminum but not touching it losses less than one bar. If the phone is installed not quite straight or in an unprotected case it will lose more than tree bars because of metal to metal contact.

At this time I'm using the Karas Kustom case that neither surrounds nor touches the antenna. I get absolutely no signal loss.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

archrider said:
I've come to some final conclusions for me after purchasing four aluminum cases, The Element Vapor, Karas Kustoms, Casemate Jett and the Blade.

The Vapor worked well losing less than one bar. I sent the Jett back without using it because of reports it scratched the phone. I installed the Blade. It immediately lost three bars. I put the Vapor back on and to my dismay it lost three bars. I taped the inside of the blade and lost less than 1 bar. however if I shifted the phone by pushing it in the case it dropped three bars, which showed me that when metal to metal contact happened at least two additional bars were lost. When I put the vapor back on I was able to make the signal change from more than tree lost bars to less than one lost bar by shifting the phone around inside the case. I shifted the phone by pushing on both faces or by plugging in accessories with a little force.

My conclusion is surrounding the antenna with aluminum but not touching it losses less than one bar. If the phone is installed not quite straight or in an unprotected case it will lose more than tree bars because of metal to metal contact.

At this time I'm using the Karas Kustom case that neither surrounds nor touches the antenna. I get absolutely no signal loss.

Have you tried the electron case? It works really good and in my case I have had no signal issues. I live in a low signal area also

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
i have no signal issues with Blade, Vapor and E13ctron.

gps issues, yeah with Blade but not with E13tron.

Vapor i still have to try the gps.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Have you tried the electron case? It works really good and in my case I have had no signal issues. I live in a low signal area also

The Electron does isolate the antenna from the case but the case surrounds the antenna. I believe you would get a slight drop for that reason (less than one bar).

I think it is one of the best designs out there, with the plastic liners.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
The Electron does isolate the antenna from the case but the case surrounds the antenna. I believe you would get a slight drop for that reason (less than one bar).

Check out the new e13ctron hybrid aluminum/plastic case that I just posted about in the e13ctron review thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1061041/

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina

archrider said:

How do you read decibels on a non jailbroken phone? I have not noticed any bar drops what so ever. But a few decibels is possible. E13ctron is also in the process of a plastic hybrid case quick would be good also.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

How do you read decibels on a non jailbroken phone? I have not noticed any bar drops what so ever. But a few decibels is possible. E13ctron is also in the process of a plastic hybrid case quick would be good also.

If you click on the link in my post right above yours here, you can see my pictures and initial comments on the prototype e13ctron hybrid case that I received today.

iSquirrelu

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Can confirm that on my iPhone 4S I had to remove the case due to signal issues in marginal areas, made the difference between making a call and no service.

If coverage not marginal then works ok, otherwise great build quality, does not mark phone, adds a fair amount of weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.