Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
Once again, in case you didn't read the two posts already about this: I CAN BYPASS THE IPHONE PASSCODE EASILY!!!

You have some of worst logic I've ever come across on technology forums

1) the passcode lock works, but much like a real lock it can be broken into, You don't expect that your run of the mill thief is going to know how to pick a door lock/hack into your iphone.

If you are stupid enough to leave your door open or not even put a passcode lock you leave yourself open to all thieves, smart or dumb

2) Putting a passcode lock will protect your data. Connecting it to a computer via itunes or even the program you mentioned iPhone Explorer will not allow you to view the data, and if you try to delete or modifiy the password it will render the phone useless. Again a common thief is not going to be trying to modify a ram disk or hack into the iPhone

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
So, I was just testing Find My iPhone out on Me.com to see if it could find my iPhone 4. I have the accounts set up and I can verify that it works if my 3G data is on. But, it does not work at ALL if 3G data is turned off, even though both Wifi and cellular calling/text messaging are on. It can't find it at all: no location, no pop up message, nothing. Me.com says it can't find it.

This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.

I bet you will say that GameCenter and Facetime are Useless !??

wait.... it is !

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
My wife and I use this feature all the time to see if we're working near each other so we can meet for lunch. It's awesome. Definitely better than trying to use Loopt or Google Latitude. I'm thankful it's free.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Works fine for me on the edge network.

But if you mean it doesn't work with cellular data completely off then that should be pretty obvious.

It is actually a really nice tool and great that it is now free.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I don't know why some of you bother trying to help someone with a poor attitude like that. Let him sit there and cry:)

I 100% agree. If anyone does a quick search on "find all posts from this user" you really start to see that this guy has issues ALL the time. On page 3&4 it gets really amusing.

Personally this will be the last time I respond in any of his threads as I don't feed the trolls.

I feel a little sad for this guy, if this is the way he acts on a forum I can't imagine his attitude in life day to day.

bid2ask77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
New York
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I never had a problem with find my phone and I never keep my phone on 3G

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
So, I was just testing Find My iPhone out on Me.com to see if it could find my iPhone 4. I have the accounts set up and I can verify that it works if my 3G data is on. But, it does not work at ALL if 3G data is turned off, even though both Wifi and cellular calling/text messaging are on. It can't find it at all: no location, no pop up message, nothing. Me.com says it can't find it.

This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.

Then don't use it. Youre welcome for the FREE useless service.
-Apple

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I 100% agree. If anyone does a quick search on "find all posts from this user" you really start to see that this guy has issues ALL the time. On page 3&4 it gets really amusing.

Personally this will be the last time I respond in any of his threads as I don't feed the trolls.

I feel a little sad for this guy, if this is the way he acts on a forum I can't imagine his attitude in life day to day.

Yes, I agree.
Time to add him to my exclusive VIP ignore list:)

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
If I could encrypt the entire iPhone with TrueCrypt I would so that I have proper security. The passcode on the iPhone doesn't do anything since it doesn't encrypt anything. You can bypass it by hooking it up to a computer.

2) Putting a passcode lock will protect your data. Connecting it to a computer via itunes or even the program you mentioned iPhone Explorer will not allow you to view the data, and if you try to delete or modifiy the password it will render the phone useless. Again a common thief is not going to be trying to modify a ram disk or hack into the iPhone

The original poster doesn't seem to know that the iPhone (4 and 3GS) has hardware encryption.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4175

Last edited:

alfiecat

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
iphone 4 stolen

A colleague at work has had their iphone 4 stolen. I told her that after she informed Vodafone they would have blocked her phone so it couldnt be used by the thief. She said she had a phone that she lost a year or two ago and that Vodafone tried to do the same but apparently was told that if the thief took the sim out or turned the phone off it wouldnt get blocked. Even when they put another sim in. Is this true? If so is there anything that can be done about it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
A colleague at work has had their iphone 4 stolen. I told her that after she informed Vodafone they would have blocked her phone so it couldnt be used by the thief. She said she had a phone that she lost a year or two ago and that Vodafone tried to do the same but apparently was told that if the thief took the sim out or turned the phone off it wouldnt get blocked. Even when they put another sim in. Is this true? If so is there anything that can be done about it?

If Vodafone and other carriers in your country blacklist stolen phone IMEI numbers then even f he turns the phone off or uses a new sim it will not work.
Offcourse that's if they do that, in the US they dont.
Also if he sells it to someone outside the country they will be able to use it with no probs.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I don't recall find my iPhone ever being advertised as a theft deterrent. I always understood it to be a convenient way of locating a misplaced phone. To call it useless because the feature can be disabled with some effort on the part of a thief is pretty baseless.

I've used find my iPhone for various things over the years (since I had mobile me, and now that it's free). I've found plenty of useful applications (for example give my family a temp password to let them track me on mobileme when I'm on a long road trip).

Besides, it's free. I don't see where people get off complaining about products and services that are supplied at no cost to them. There are paid services that do the same things that people are more than welcome to try. I can tell you right now from experience that the free Find My iPhone is a heck of a lot more reliable than AT&T's $10/mo. FamilyMap.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

Here's a newsflash for you...there isn't a system out there that is a flawless theft proofing device/system. Even the most elaborate security systems can be defeated. And Find My Phone isn't primarily about theft proofing your iPhone. It's about locating it when you misplace it.

I don't recall find my iPhone ever being advertised as a theft deterrent. I always understood it to be a convenient way of locating a misplaced phone.

^^^ This.

alfiecat

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
If Vodafone and other carriers in your country blacklist stolen phone IMEI numbers then even f he turns the phone off or uses a new sim it will not work.
Offcourse that's if they do that, in the US they dont.
Also if he sells it to someone outside the country they will be able to use it with no probs.
thanks for the info.

fairoasis

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
My niece lost her iPhone NYE in Washington, DC. It was password protected and Find my iPhone was activated. By the time she realized it was missing, someone had apparently taken the sim out and wracked up almost $900 in charges to Morocco. Find My iPhone was unable to locate the unit, so, more than likely, the "finder" knew a few things about iPhone settings and disabled the feature. She back to a flip phone and ATT is waiting for the end of the billing cycle to file a case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
My niece lost her iPhone NYE in Washington, DC. It was password protected and Find my iPhone was activated. By the time she realized it was missing, someone had apparently taken the sim out and wracked up almost $900 in charges to Morocco. Find My iPhone was unable to locate the unit, so, more than likely, the "finder" knew a few things about iPhone settings and disabled the feature. She back to a flip phone and ATT is waiting for the end of the billing cycle to file a case.

How did he rack up charges on her account if the phone had a passcode?
Maybe used her sim in another phone.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
@OP

Just tested by turning off my 3G and remaining on wifi. Find my iPhone worked perfectly. Either your iPhone or your wifi network is the problem. Reset your router and retest. If it still doesn't work restore your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.